Trouble opening drop box

nystripe96

I realize this may be a dumb question, but I just did a route that required letter box pickups. I know you have to punch in the 3 numbers say for instance 23,4 however I had a lot of trouble opening it, so I called for help. Any suggestions as to how to open them? I'm sure it's fairly simple, I just haven't figured it out.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You hit the first two at the same time, then the third, then twist the knob and open All the combo's are the same around here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have 5 drop boxes on my area so I may be able to help.

You need to push the first two numbers at the same time, then press the third and turn the handle to the right. The combinations are all the same in our area. Scan the barcode on the inside of the door and then scan any packages. Make sure the drop box indicator turns to Picked Up (red). If you are not the last driver to close out the box you need to reset the indicator to Not Picked Up (green) which is done by pushing the white button in and holding it for at least 5 seconds.

I always pull down the door to make sure no packages are sitting the rather than inside the box.

You will also find that people try to stuff packages in to the box making it difficult to nearly impossible to pull down the door. You can usually free them up after you open the door by reaching up inside and pulling them down.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have a letter box sitting on picked up for a week. Wonder if its a battery or something. Sups dont seem to care

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a letter box sitting on picked up for a week. Wonder if its a battery or something. Sups dont seem to care.

Our mall drop box indicator flag has been broken for at least the past two months. Repeated ODS messages and replacing the batteries (on my own dime) have not worked. I have placed a delivery notice over the window, making sure the pickup time is visible, and make sure that I allow a few extra minutes for the pickup.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm in WI and a few years back I was in Lexington KY and ran across a letter box. I figured I would try to open it. It worked, same combo. I know, cool story.

nineyearsUGH

I'm in WI and a few years back I was in Lexington KY and ran across a letter box. I figured I would try to open it. It worked, same combo. I know, cool story.

lol. You are braver than me. I have always wanted to try that when travelling, but I have always gotten too paranoid.

Sent using BrownCafe App

rod

Retired 22 years
You think they would change the combinations every once in awhile. I know there are at least 26 of us around here who have been retired for years who could still open them up. Curiosity got the best of me the other day.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Found out that our codes work in Colorado, Hawaii and Washington also.

Have a coworker that wants me to send him some Mary Jane when I visit Colorado next month. Wonder if I can cram an over 70 into onr of those letter boxes?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
My codes also work in the New England area. I tried it a few years back. So really any disgruntled former employee could just go raiding drop boxes whenever they feel like it, because UPS is too lazy to change the codes at least every few years.

BRILLIANT!!