Truck break down on a Friday

STFXG

Cig lighters are a super easy fix on the MB Sprinters. I could show you how to fix it in 2 seconds but couldn't put it into words for all the tea in China.

There's a one-size-fits-all for any vehicle. Buy a cig lighter at a parts store. Pull a fuse from the fusebox; choose one that always has a current when the ignition is on. Get a couple of pieces of wire (regular ol' speaker wire works fine). Cut the ends off of the 2 pieces of wire and strip about an inch or so of insulation off of each end. Wrap one end around the positive (or "hot") terminal on the lighter and wrap the other end around the fuse blade and put it back into the fusebox. Wrap one end of the other wire around the ground terminal of the lighter and ground the other end.

It will be ugly, it will be messy... but if you MUST have it, it works. This also works for anything else that only needs a hot wire and a ground wire. The other option is a portable charger. They're cheap these days.
Or just use one of these...
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1470026166.637690.jpg

Way easier than rigging something together and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle easily. Just have to find a ground.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
That's some great advice. DOL asks the manager if he did what he did. He says no, the investigation is over, and the courier is screwed. Brilliant.
The managers word isn't always the last word like you think it is. Besides most of them would be stupid enough to send a directive like that thru a powerpad message or text which is retrievable.

Anybody from the DOL investigating a claim as such has more than likely already been through their first rodeo.

P.S. You might wanna attend a shill refresher course. Your arguments are weak these days.

Last edited:

!Retired!

That's some great advice. DOL asks the manager if he did what he did. He says no, the investigation is over, and the courier is screwed. Brilliant.

Hmm. Care to share with us how you prove someone said something over the phone?
Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(d) allows you to record conversations. Though, each state has their own law regarding 'single party consent'. See here (updated on 7/11/16). Meaning, as long as ONE party consents to the recording, which would be you, it's legal.
Get this ap free in the Google Play Store. It starts recording automatically. You then have the option to save or delete it.

SmithBarney

I don't understand how trucks break down... PM prevents that.
That and the 6 P
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Because $#!t happens... tell me how a PM(pretrip) can check a faulty fuel pump, or for that nail you'll run over at 12:30pm, or well insert common vehicle issue that can happen to a vehicle stopped and started ~60-200times a day

SmithBarney

Cig lighters are a super easy fix on the MB Sprinters. I could show you how to fix it in 2 seconds but couldn't put it into words for all the tea in China.

There's a one-size-fits-all for any vehicle. Buy a cig lighter at a parts store. Pull a fuse from the fusebox; choose one that always has a current when the ignition is on. Get a couple of pieces of wire (regular ol' speaker wire works fine). Cut the ends off of the 2 pieces of wire and strip about an inch or so of insulation off of each end. Wrap one end around the positive (or "hot") terminal on the lighter and wrap the other end around the fuse blade and put it back into the fusebox. Wrap one end of the other wire around the ground terminal of the lighter and ground the other end.

It will be ugly, it will be messy... but if you MUST have it, it works. This also works for anything else that only needs a hot wire and a ground wire. The other option is a portable charger. They're cheap these days.

Well friend'ing with wiring will get you instantly fired at our station, if you need a 12V power point to "charge" your phone, you grab one from Walmart 1.88 and have our onsite mechanics install it... just don't tell her its for your radio... or if you are in a sprinter spend $10-15 and get an OEM lighter, and the plug is right there under the dash.

dezguy

Well friend'ing with wiring will get you instantly fired at our station, if you need a 12V power point to "charge" your phone, you grab one from Walmart 1.88 and have our onsite mechanics install it... just don't tell her its for your radio... or if you are in a sprinter spend $10-15 and get an OEM lighter, and the plug is right there under the dash.
Maybe I'm wrong but I have always been under the impression that any alteration to a FedEx vehicle is a good reason for instant termination.

I can remember back when we got the old Dodge Sprinters, FedEx took the radios out but didn't cover up the space or take out the wiring harnesses. Guys went on Ebay and bought OEM radios for them and just plugged them in. Management had an aneurysm but so many guys did it, if they were going to fire people, they would have had to fire half the station.

We were told, after that, any messing with the truck from the condition FedEx sent it to the station and we would be fired.

outtatime

Because $#!t happens... tell me how a PM(pretrip) can check a faulty fuel pump, or for that nail you'll run over at 12:30pm, or well insert common vehicle issue that can happen to a vehicle stopped and started ~60-200times a day
PM=preventative maintenance. As in what the mechanics do like brakes and oil changes, not a pre-trip.

SmithBarney

Maybe I'm wrong but I have always been under the impression that any alteration to a FedEx vehicle is a good reason for instant termination.

We were told, after that, any messing with the truck from the condition FedEx sent it to the station and we would be fired.

You are correct, that's why I said hand it to your mechanic,(since it's not in the budget to buy anything) and they can install it. They are allowed given the right circumstances.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 2511(2)(d) allows you to record conversations. Though, each state has their own law regarding 'single party consent'. See here (updated on 7/11/16). Meaning, as long as ONE party consents to the recording, which would be you, it's legal.
Get this ap free in the Google Play Store. It starts recording automatically. You then have the option to save or delete it.

No one is arguing the legality of recording a phone conversation, but that few people do.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well friend'ing with wiring will get you instantly fired at our station, if you need a 12V power point to "charge" your phone, you grab one from Walmart 1.88 and have our onsite mechanics install it... just don't tell her its for your radio...

The cheapo charger is what I'm referring to. Done right, no one will ever notice. Might take 5 to 10 minutes the very first time you set it up, and 1 or 2 minutes each subsequent time. One minute to take down, max. That's if your mechanic won't install one for you. It's hit and miss down here.

FWIW, you're not doing anything to the existing wiring.

or if you are in a sprinter spend $10-15 and get an OEM lighter, and the plug is right there under the dash.

Assuming that it hasn't been disabled. All of our Sprinters arrived with a panel screwed over the 12 DC port. Couriers unscrewed them, so the mechanics (some of them) responded by disabling the port. Enabling them costs about $2 and takes 15 seconds or so.