Truck Driver Shortage

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
The companies make more money by training new drivers than they do hauling freight. After they are trained they get put in a company truck and starved for loads - meaning they might get a 200 mile run every week, forcing the driver to quit and look for a better paying job. Rinse and repeat, courtesy of the tax payers

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
Nope.

The FMSCA is cracking down on drivers and denying eligible drivers their right to earn a living.
This creates a shortage.

More time should be spent enforcing cellphone and texting laws on drivers.

We watch drivers of these outside companies come on property and I'm amazed at the complete lack of skill much less ability to comprehend.

Just because one can become a driver doesn't mean they should become a driver.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I bet if the pay improved there wouldn't be as much of a shortage!
That's partly true. Some of the big companies offer high mileage rates to get new recruits and then give them barely any miles after they are trained to get their CDL. What's even worse is some companies like CR england, CRST, Central Reefer, and the orange pumkins force their company drivers to be a lease operator with the promises of more miles (and more $). These guys sign the lease and get barely any miles thus defaulting on their lease. Talk to any of the guys you see at the ts they'll tell you all about it. Even some of the Swifties got tricked into leasing

Just because one can [-]become a driver[/-] hold a steering wheel doesn't mean they should become a driver.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
We watch drivers of these outside companies come on property and I'm amazed at the complete lack of skill much less ability to comprehend.

Did you notice they can go straight and can't back?

We have a driver that takes twenty minutes to back a TT.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Did you notice they can go straight and can't back?

We have a driver that takes twenty minutes to back a TT.

C'mon it's fun to chuckle but you could at least help out. Better to take 20 mins backing than to tear up 2 hoods.

Some of these super truckers think they're better than everyone cause for 50 years they can do 1 back of their road train without GOAL-ING. They sit in the cab sipping their coffee while newbies block the entrances trying to set up for a blind side back. THEY make me angry

You guys(feeder drivers) are the best in the business by a million miles.

MaceFremonti

I've only been in feeders for about two months. I can wheel a 53' into just about any space it needs to go in. The funny thing is when I have to break down a set and put a pup on a door.....all of a sudden I look like a rookie! Can't get it straight...over correcting...funny as hell!

ILuvPandas

I drive a freightliner for Express (bread truck)in the Northeast and tractor trailer drivers often ask me for directions & they can barely speak English-pretty scary I don't know how they can read highway signs etc

feeder05

Here in the NW UPS Freight was advertising on the radio for drivers and dock workers. Good sign for that part of the company.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Nothing in that article about raising wages to attract more drivers or changing working conditions to reduce turnover, proving once again that the laws of supply & demand don't apply to employers. Interesting to note that Con-way pays about half what our Feeder drivers make. No way I would do this job for that kind of money and I'm home every night not out on the road for two weeks at a time.

Perhaps this is an opportunity, as 90 percent turnover says, no screams that people are unhappy. Time to talk up what our Union provides for us to the independents.

I've only been in feeders for about two months. I can wheel a 53' into just about any space it needs to go in. The funny thing is when I have to break down a set and put a pup on a door.....all of a sudden I look like a rookie! Can't get it straight...over correcting...funny as hell!

Lots of rookies "stir the pot". You put in too much steering input and chase the trailer. Try cutting you steering motion in half and work on setup which is 90% of the back anyway. Get some practice and you'll know what your trls going to do before you see it.

pretender

You can't back up a set of doubles yet? :wink2:

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
C'mon it's fun to chuckle but you could at least help out. Better to take 20 mins backing than to tear up 2 hoods.

Some of these super truckers think they're better than everyone cause for 50 years they can do 1 back of their road train without GOAL-ING. They sit in the cab sipping their coffee while newbies block the entrances trying to set up for a blind side back. THEY make me angry

I do help.
If the driver is receptive, I will get behind the wheel and set up the back for the driver and then get in passenger seat to talk them thru it.
I will never belittle someone and when a drive is too apologetic, I will walk him / her in for a coffee/soda/hot chocolate.

MaceFremonti

I actually was practicing backing doubles at my turn around on Friday since the driver I meet was about an hour and half late.

I need ALOT more practice to do that consistently!