True Leaders Have Won !

mamirk69

BUG-
Are you in CS or are you a member of 705 or 710 which seems to be detached from the rest of the world?
I'm just telling you what knowledgeable union members and officials have told me.
I don't make this stuff up.

You, above other people, should have the stroke and contacts to find this out.

He is right. I have only one year in central states while the rest of my pension years are in the new UPS/IBT pension. Anyone that has 25 years of service or more in the central states plan will have to retire within this contract in order for UPS to honor their pensions in its entirety. After 2013 anyone with 25+ years will depend solely on central states to pay their pensions. A dirty little secret in the central states scheme that most future central states retirees do not know.

hembone

He is right. I have only one year in central states while the rest of my pension years are in the new UPS/IBT pension. Anyone that has 25 years of service or more in the central states plan will have to retire within this contract in order for UPS to honor their pensions in its entirety. After 2013 anyone with 25+ years will depend solely on central states to pay their pensions. A dirty little secret in the central states scheme that most future central states retirees do not know.
I'm sure there are a lot of employees with 10 to 20 years in that would vote no to a contract in 2013 that doesn't guarantee the pension should CSPF make any cuts.

mamirk69

I'm sure there are a lot of employees with 10 to 20 years in that would vote no to a contract in 2013 that doesn't guarantee the pension should CSPF make any cuts.

Too little too late Hembone. UPS has no more future obligations to central states when the contract was ratified in 2008 and the contribution of 6 billion dollars to central states. Future retirees were not given this information when it was time to vote. All they knew were that UPS is removing themselves from Central States and that UPS/IBt would now have the pension but no one questioned the years put forth in central states and how that would evolve over the length of future contracts until now. Upsers were more concerned with increasing their bottom lines because many teamsters were drawing pensions but their companies had folded and were no longer contributing to central states. Many Upsers were retiring but receiving way less money based on these earlier events so they were able to push this across at least at my hub.

trickpony1

Too little too late Hembone. UPS has no more future obligations to central states when the contract was ratified in 2008 and the contribution of 6 billion dollars to central states. Future retirees were not given this information when it was time to vote. All they knew were that UPS is removing themselves from Central States and that UPS/IBt would now have the pension but no one questioned the years put forth in central states and how that would evolve over the length of future contracts until now. Upsers were more concerned with increasing their bottom lines because many teamsters were drawing pensions but their companies had folded and were no longer contributing to central states. Many Upsers were retiring but receiving way less money based on these earlier events so they were able to push this across at least at my hub.

I tried to tell Big Union Guy (BUG) this but he acted like I was making it up.
Thanks for confirming this mamirk69

Last edited:

hembone

I agree, with the way the contract reads now. As a matter of fact when the 2008 contract was ratified it never crossed my mind that the pension would not be guaranteed after the contract expired, but they could still negotiate the guarantee in the next contract. If they don't I wonder what UPS will do when every employee in Central States with 20 or more years in leaves in July 2013. Believe me I know a lot in that range and they are going to be watching closely.

trickpony1

I agree, with the way the contract reads now. As a matter of fact when the 2008 contract was ratified it never crossed my mind that the pension would not be guaranteed after the contract expired, but they could still negotiate the guarantee in the next contract. If they don't I wonder what UPS will do when every employee in Central States with 20 or more years in leaves in July 2013. Believe me I know a lot in that range and they are going to be watching closely.

"....could still negotiate the guarantee....." and they would do this why? Because they love us? Out of the kindness of their hearts?
".....with 20 or more years in leaves in July 2013.". You will be able to hear the crystal wine glasses clink together as the Ivory Towers celebrate wildly. They will then run out and hire a truckload of 19-21 year old kids at half the wage/benefits, with one week vacation and more energy to replace the droves of older, less productive, more expensive drivers that retired.
The plan to replace us all is gradual and won't happen overnight.

hembone

"....could still negotiate the guarantee....." and they would do this why? Because they love us? Out of the kindness of their hearts?
".....with 20 or more years in leaves in July 2013.". You will be able to hear the crystal wine glasses clink together as the Ivory Towers celebrate wildly. They will then run out and hire a truckload of 19-21 year old kids at half the wage/benefits, with one week vacation and more energy to replace the droves of older, less productive, more expensive drivers that retired.
The plan to replace us all is gradual and won't happen overnight.
Sounds like a lot missed packages to me, but seriously I can only hope you're wrong.

trickpony1

"....I can only hope......"
Hope in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up the quickest.
I notice BUG hasn't chimed in recently.

mamirk69

Alot of individuals in that range are watching but just do not know how to handle it. Many think all will be well and Central States will be in good shape and they are highly misinformed. UPS at my hub was indicating a huge retirement number in the range of 80 to 90 feeder and package car drivers. We will see.

slantnosechevy

I voted for the whole Hoffa slate. Local 407 was for Hoffa by a landslide. I hope it helps somewhere down the road.

So did I, but now several at the top want to get rid of elections and return to the days of slates being elected at the convention.
We didn't have much to choose from this election, but the next one we do and Hoffa knows some qualified heavy hitters are in the wings. Hoffa wants to turn the reins over to marshmellow Hall. OBrien, Flynn, and some other well respected current leaders stand in line to upset his apple cart.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I notice BUG hasn't chimed in recently.

Trick,

I don't have the time to hold everybody's hand.

When I do have a chance to post here, I try to offer constructive advice.

Or at least try to steer someone in the right direction.

Being that this is an open forum.... with little or no moderation....

Now I have an idea for a new thread....

-Bug-

trickpony1

Trick,

I don't have the time to hold everybody's hand.

When I do have a chance to post here, I try to offer constructive advice.

Or at least try to steer someone in the right direction.

Being that this is an open forum.... with little or no moderation....

Now I have an idea for a new thread....

-Bug-

I don't recall asking anyone to hold anyones hand.
I would think the future retirement of your Teamster brothers and sisters would be more important than who may or may not be cavorting with the hot presidential candidate.
But that's just me.
Go Teamsters!

I don't recall asking anyone to hold anyones hand.
I would think the future retirement of your Teamster brothers and sisters would be more important than who may or may not be cavorting with the hot presidential candidate.
But that's just me.
Go Teamsters!
He can't help anyone. He is just like anyone of us. We & he have no control. The difference between you and us is we know it and you don't. Big union guy there isn't too many real big union guys left. That's the truth

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Big union guy there isn't too many real big union guys left.

You haven't been in a room of Local Officers and Agents lately....

They are all pretty big....:wink-very: Look at the pictures from the convention.

Ok Trick,

What I said sounded harsh, but I just can't believe that 4 years later, people are so misinformed

about the Central States deal and the new pension plan. When it comes down to it.... nothing in the

current contract is guaranteed past the expiration date....

But, I don't believe for a second that after letting UPS pay the withdraw liability to get out of Central States,

And establishing a new single employer fund, that the IBT or UPS will do anything different. But, we will see.

To answer your earlier question, I am in Central States and grandfathered into the new plan as an Officer/Agent

in office at the time of ratification. All I have to do is punch the clock at UPS one time, and I'm in the new plan.

The real funny thing is..... They forgot about all the officers and agents in office at the time.

They had to make an addendum to the plan to include us.

-Bug-

705red

Browncafe Steward
Bug your referring to punch the clock at UPS prior to retiring for your medical benefits through UPS? If your an officer/agent of the local doesnt the local pick up your pension contributions?