Truth on orange the new green end is comin

bacha29

Here's what you're missing FedEx freight is under Taft Harley as well. Why don't you ask them how well they're doing and eyes and campaign is going. It's just not that easy these days to organize especially against the master anti Union company that FedEx is.
Exactly. If the employees of an ISP contractor voted to go union X will as IWBF plainly stated not renew it's contract with the ISP. The ISP contractor and his employees gone. Simple as that.

MAKAVELI

Exactly. If the employees of an ISP contractor voted to go union X will as IWBF plainly stated not renew it's contract with the ISP. The ISP contractor and his employees gone. Simple as that.
Even if express and ground were to combine and eliminate the contractor model it wouldn't be a piece of cake to organize. Fred S has union busting down to a science.

bacha29

Even if express and ground were to combine and eliminate the contractor model it wouldn't be a piece of cake to organize. Fred S has union busting down to a science.
It will all comes down to which operating model can be best utilized to serve the overall market in the most efficient manner at the lowest cost thereby producing the highest returns and right now it would appear that overall it's Ground's contractor format. If that turns out to be the case, Express will not be shut down in one gigantic suspension of operations. Instead it will be dismantled piece by piece until it dies out in a quiet whimper.

Exec32

The contractor can tell the driver to start earlier, or hire another driver. The contractor is not the driver under the ISP. Do you understand????
I do understand. The problem is that what fedex desires from an entity whether IC or ISP involves an element of control that establishes an employee relationship. They can disguise it all they want to, but once you sign that employee manual, oops I mean contract, there is no existing independence. If there was you could use your own software and scanners, and create your own REAL schedule, or subcontract to whom you wish, and of course invoice X for charges, oh by the way do your own background checks with the company of your choice, and purchase your gear from any vendor, and lable your truck's and uniforms as you wish, have them go to your web site for information. Whether IC or ISP THESE ALL apply, and keep the door open for more lawsuits.
CONTROL lack of INDEPENDENCE no real way to utilize your own methods and means to conduct business.
In other words the contractor is not a contractor, but an extension of X management.

MAKAVELI

bacha29

More like Green will foot the bill for Fred.
It has been that way ever since X bought RPS from Roadway. Not to mention the fact that when they bought out RPS they didn't have the cash so they had to pay with stock. Later beginning with American Freightways they've payed cash for everything they've bought.

Exec32

Explain this; how is X going to have hundreds of different entities exists on the same platform, using identical equipment, on the same software, in the same uniforms and believe that INDEPENDENCE exists.
X knows without these that their brand will suffer, they will not remain competitive, but with these they run the risks of legal, individual and labor Dept lawsuits.
All I'm saying is that UPS is already providing all these services together. The major problem is that todays technological and customer demands require a uniform service, even more so in the future.
If it was only money involved then yes express would be going ground, however with everything I mentioned there is much more involved than just money.
Don't forget X is setting a very dangerous precedence on a macro economic scale. Regulators watching know that if they are allowed to continue then no industry or individual will be safe from a corporation simply writing a manual (contract)to change their workforce to a contractor model, and benefit the same outcome on a much reduced cost.

Exec32

From this article, one would think integration is in the future. But how that integration is done is up for debate here. I believe the most efficient and long term solution is the UPS model. There is simply to much control needed by FedEx to provide it's air services that could not be delegated to thousands of third parties to be effective and efficient.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/4001705-integration-issues-fedex-major-problem-amazon-prime
Good post. The long term future for fedex is in the evolving technologies and it's increased need for control of resources. I'm a contractor, I'm not thrilled to come to this conclusion, however I'm also realistic. The only way they achieve this and protect their brand and markets is to combine all services under one department where it can exists legally everywhere, that is express.

Exec32

It's an unsettling thing to deal with as a contractor. With all the money involved, and people that rely on me I would be naïve to believe that this is sustainable as of recent pressure and lawsuits. It seems to me that X is running out of time and tricks, I just don't want to be the one holding the bag.

bbsam

Staff member
It's an unsettling thing to deal with as a contractor. With all the money involved, and people that rely on me I would be naïve to believe that this is sustainable as of recent pressure and lawsuits. It seems to me that X is running out of time and tricks, I just don't want to be the one holding the bag.
Running out of time? It's a cycle. None of this is new.

bacha29

Good post. The long term future for fedex is in the evolving technologies and it's increased need for control of resources. I'm a contractor, I'm not thrilled to come to this conclusion, however I'm also realistic. The only way they achieve this and protect their brand and markets is to combine all services under one department where it can exists legally everywhere, that is express.
That would then present a huge question. Will the employees of the combined OPCO"s be under RLA or Taft Hartley.? Either way it will greatly increase the odds of a vote to go union and old Freddy will not stand for it no matter which legislation they fall under.

MAKAVELI

That would then present a huge question. Will the employees of the combined OPCO"s be under RLA or Taft Hartley.? Either way it will greatly increase the odds of a vote to go union and old Freddy will not stand for it no matter which legislation they fall under.
I think that move would be very calculated. There is a huge turnover at Express at this time and if they hold up their 10 step plan most of those new employees more than likely wouldn't vote in the union. Fred S maybe an greedy evil bastard but he's not stupid .

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Old Freddie will be long gone by then. Whoever absorbs this company will slash, burn, and extract every available dollar before marketing it as the next generation Fedex. Who knows what the next iteration will resemble? Union won't matter. IMO