TSA tailgaiting

fedex_rtd

I am aware of many FedEx locations that have no perimeter fence or gates at all. There is a central station/warehouse, and 40-50 vehicles are parked outside. To enter the station, you must go to a man door, punch-in a code, and then you can enter and raise the overhead door. Again, unless your station is adjacent to a ramp, I'm not getting this angle from the TSA.

FedEx created this issue. They want to maintain the RLA exemption at ALL costs. Remember your ID card says "airline identification" all the stations have a ramp identifier code, the government has said fine, play that game and this is what will happen. If you use an airport identifier code for your location, then we will conceder it part of that ramp, and you MUST act like you are at a "real ramp" at all times.

Now FedEx does not want to provide real airport type security to these outlying stations, and that is where another situation of where FedEx abuses the employees, by trying to turn them into security guards. Fact is, at a ramp you should "challenge" someone wondering around an aircraft, however if you see some strange guy wondering through your station the ONLY action I would take would be to use my cell phone to call my manager and report it that way. Now I'm sure some managers would try to tell you it's your job to confront this person, but I would tell him I don't feel safe, and just like the active shooter video training we had, I would say I am responsible for my safety and I am leaving the area.

Express Courier

I have no problem stopping and waiting for the gate to close. If it just looks like some lost customer I'll say something to them. That's about as far as I'll go. I'm more worried about this one sketchy courier at my station coming in and gunning us down. I could see this guy coming in and chaining the gates shut to keep us in there.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
FedEx created this issue. They want to maintain the RLA exemption at ALL costs. Remember your ID card says "airline identification" all the stations have a ramp identifier code, the government has said fine, play that game and this is what will happen. If you use an airport identifier code for your location, then we will conceder it part of that ramp, and you MUST act like you are at a "real ramp" at all times.

Now FedEx does not want to provide real airport type security to these outlying stations, and that is where another situation of where FedEx abuses the employees, by trying to turn them into security guards. Fact is, at a ramp you should "challenge" someone wondering around an aircraft, however if you see some strange guy wondering through your station the ONLY action I would take would be to use my cell phone to call my manager and report it that way. Now I'm sure some managers would try to tell you it's your job to confront this person, but I would tell him I don't feel safe, and just like the active shooter video training we had, I would say I am responsible for my safety and I am leaving the area.

This explanation makes sense. Gee, think Fred is worried that we'll go union someday? In the meantime, I'm just fine with him getting fined pretending we're an airline.

SmithBarney

...If someone drives up behind me and I believe they pose a threat.. Guess what. My a** is driving out the other gate...

exactly I had someone following me the other day as I drove my route, they pulled a u-turn followed me(I noticed) I took an unusual route to where I was going(put in a few extra turns) I bypassed a few stops, Still they were there(this was fairly rural) I lost them at a RR crossing, they got stuck in traffic and train I made a delivery, and headed back into the area I needed to finish up, and they showed up again. I stopped to "talk" to a local sheriff who set up shop along the road... they disappeared never to be seen again.

As for the gates at STAs they are useless once they are opened if someone is FOLLOWING you. They pretty much can get in no problem, the gates I've seen at several major ramps will stay open with a electronic EYE, light beam. so if they want in, they are going to get in no matter how long you sit there. The only option is security guards.(Which the major ramps have.)

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
exactly I had someone following me the other day as I drove my route, they pulled a u-turn followed me(I noticed) I took an unusual route to where I was going(put in a few extra turns) I bypassed a few stops, Still they were there(this was fairly rural) I lost them at a RR crossing, they got stuck in traffic and train I made a delivery, and headed back into the area I needed to finish up, and they showed up again. I stopped to "talk" to a local sheriff who set up shop along the road... they disappeared never to be seen again.

As for the gates at STAs they are useless once they are opened if someone is FOLLOWING you. They pretty much can get in no problem, the gates I've seen at several major ramps will stay open with a electronic EYE, light beam. so if they want in, they are going to get in no matter how long you sit there. The only option is security guards.(Which the major ramps have.)

I'd like to add that I had mentioned the airport identifier scam about 6 months ago, where FedEx will use the 3-letter code for the local field where nothing larger than a Cessna 172 has ever landed. OR, Fred will use the airport identifier for a facility that no longer exists. One big, effing scam....all to keep us under his thumb and non-union.

If you think I'm making this up, research your station ID.

hypo hanna

I'd like to add that I had mentioned the airport identifier scam about 6 months ago, where FedEx will use the 3-letter code for the local field where nothing larger than a Cessna 172 has ever landed. OR, Fred will use the airport identifier for a facility that no longer exists. One big, effing scam....all to keep us under his thumb and non-union.

If you think I'm making this up, research your station ID.
I don't think it was planned that way. They were using those tiny airport ID's back in the early 80's long before the RLA fight. These were for new stations in major metropolitan areas like Atlanta, LA and Dallas. It was just a continuation of the initial routing system. Using those 3 letter ID's that started in the days of flyingFalcons. Federal Express was just copying the system airlines used to loose your luggage.

fedex_rtd

I don't think it was planned that way. They were using those tiny airport ID's back in the early 80's long before the RLA fight. These were for new stations in major metropolitan areas like Atlanta, LA and Dallas. It was just a continuation of the initial routing system. Using those 3 letter ID's that started in the days of flyingFalcons. Federal Express was just copying the system airlines used to loose your luggage.
Well it's biting them in the ass now, of course they could always say the stations are trucking depots and avoid the TSA oversight....naw that's NOT going to happen.

Pimpedoutatjgx

Pimpedoutatjgx

Where I come from, "challenge" is gangster and we are not equipped to act as such nor are we getting hazard pay to do the job of security. We all know what we'd LIKE to do in such situations but that's not a reality. Warning mgmnt won't help if someone has a weapon on them and we can't have our unarmed forces (fake sec. guards) save the day. Fred should suck up the $20,000 fine...what's that like 20 cents to him?