Turbo Tax 2008

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
After years of using a tax service I'm taking the plunge and using Turbo Tax for 2008. Has anyone used this software? I'm just paranoid that I would miss some sort of deduction that tax service would normally find. Do you recommend other software? BTW I itemize to get the maximum refund back.

over9five

Staff member
I have never used a tax service, have always filled out the forms myself.
This will be the third year I'll use Turbo Tax. I like it a lot, however I've never used anything else so I can't give you a comparison.
You can use it for 5 (I think) returns. If you use it next year on the same computer, it will "remember" a lot of info.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have used it for as long as I can remember. It has helped me immensely, especially with the "whats it worth" section for donations. Just follow the sections, and use the "guide me" when you might be unsure. It has many checks, and final calculations. Then you have the ability to print it out. On the right hand side many faqs as you go through the forms. Very helpful. When you file it electronically you will need last yrs adjusted gross income for your electronic sig, or you will have to print out a form and mail in. It makes it easier as it transfers your info yr to yr. Make sure you keep your id and password somewhere, to read any messages they send or, to retrieve yr to yr. They also let you know what day it is accepted, and when you should receive. They also give you the option of paying from your return for the fees, or pay it from you account which saves about 30 bucks. Good luck!

I've used the online version of TurboTax for 3 years and find it very helpful. I plan on using it this year also. I do have to pay to use it and to file electronically and for direct deposit to my checking account. The filing fees are deductible the next year. Total I think I paid out about 30 bucks for TT. Going through an accountant would cost between $50 and $100.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have never used a tax service, have always filled out the forms myself.
This will be the third year I'll use Turbo Tax. I like it a lot, however I've never used anything else so I can't give you a comparison.
You can use it for 5 (I think) returns. If you use it next year on the same computer, it will "remember" a lot of info.

I have used it for as long as I can remember. It has helped me immensely, especially with the "whats it worth" section for donations. Just follow the sections, and use the "guide me" when you might be unsure. It has many checks, and final calculations. Then you have the ability to print it out. On the right hand side many faqs as you go through the forms. Very helpful. When you file it electronically you will need last yrs adjusted gross income for your electronic sig, or you will have to print out a form and mail in. It makes it easier as it transfers your info yr to yr. Make sure you keep your id and password somewhere, to read any messages they send or, to retrieve yr to yr. They also let you know what day it is accepted, and when you should receive. They also give you the option of paying from your return for the fees, or pay it from you account which saves about 30 bucks. Good luck!

I've used the online version of TurboTax for 3 years and find it very helpful. I plan on using it this year also. I do have to pay to use it and to file electronically and for direct deposit to my checking account. The filing fees are deductible the next year. Total I think I paid out about 30 bucks for TT. Going through an accountant would cost between $50 and $100.

I agree with all these postings. Its easy & simple to use. And the cost of the program can be deducted on your 2009 taxes.

moreluck

golden ticket member
We used to pay mucho dinero to have our taxes done. We had a bunch of rentals and wanted to make sure we were doing things properly and figured a professional would know better.

The pro. used Turbo Tax too. We ended up having some major mistakes and were audited several times. After that incident my hubby started getting Turbo Tax and figured he could probably do better by himself.....and he has. He's been doing our taxes himself for a long time now.

LaUpser

i just turned 22 in dec. i have be using it since i was 19 and i love it. i never did believe in someone doing something i could do for free. all in all if u can read have a few minutes to spare go for it u will not be disappointed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used Turbo Tax for years but they not only raised their price this year but now they are charging not only to e-file but to prepare additional returns. I have switched to H&R Block Tax Cut which allows me to e-file my Federal for free (they do charge for state e-file). They are similar but I admit that Turbo is more indepth. My son and I finished his taxes this week and he used the free online version of Turbo and was even able to e-file both Federal and state for free. His is a basic return and he will have his refund next Friday. The free online version is for AGI of $30K or less, which would be perfect for most of the part-timers.

UPS Lifer

Turbo tax is a great program as long as your tax situation is not too complicated. Caution - These programs are only as good as you are using them.

Rule of thumb - If you feel your like head is starting to spin using the program (after you learned how to use it), then get an accountant to take over.

I waited 3 years too long and had to have my accountant re-file because I over paid. I had deductions I didn't know to claim.

Channahon

There are different versions of Turbo Tax - from basic to premier, all depending on your finances. My husband has been using Turbo Tax for the last 8 years.

The only error that ever occurred with the program was due to an entry error, my husband made for charitable donations. He added one 0 too many. The program allowed the forms to print, and it should have, but the IRS had an issue.

Other then that one time, he also uses it to estimate our taxes for the current year, as we pay quarterly for the feds and state.
I refuse to have any monies taken from my retirement and give it up at an earlier date.

The program also allows him to download all the financial information from our investment firm, which really streamlines paperwork.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Turbo Tax is great because if you don't manage to pay your taxes while using it, you can just tell the IRS and they will accept it as an excuse. The new treasury secretary Timothy Geithner did it, he still got the job.

Last edited:

bluehdmc

I've use both turbotax and tax cut, find they are both easy to use. My first impression was, "this is just like going to H&R Block". The software seems to ask you the questions, you fill in the blanks. If you forget something you don't have to run home to get it, just get up and get it out of the desk or shoebox or whatever. It gives you a running total of your refund in the upper corner, (forget which one) as you fill it out. I'm sold on it myself.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I've used Tax Cut for at least 15 years and I have had no problems. You can always import last years return & compare. I also start early and look it over to see where I can squeeze a little more from the IRS. I usually file my return the last week of March. If I owe I don't pay until April 14th.

P

pickup

I've use both turbotax and tax cut, find they are both easy to use. My first impression was, "this is just like going to H&R Block". The software seems to ask you the questions, you fill in the blanks. If you forget something you don't have to run home to get it, just get up and get it out of the desk or shoebox or whatever. It gives you a running total of your refund in the upper corner, (forget which one) as you fill it out. I'm sold on it myself.

is it just like h and r block? Does the software try to suggest that you get an anticipation refund loan with usury rates that would make the most unscrupulous bankers envious? Does it suggest to open an account with its bank ? Does the software speak in broken english and give the impression that it barely knows how to deal with tax returns (as if it only superficially learned how to do this a few months ago)?

#1angelfan

if you go to upsers.com you can get a discount on using it. i used the free version. you have to go to employee discounts and then to personal finances. you should be able to find it on there.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
I use it to do mine and I love the simplicity of it.
Thanks for the tip #1angelfan, I'll have to check it out I usually get the CD in the mail....which I have already, but if there is a discount to be had, I'm all over it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I use it to do mine and I love the simplicity of it.
Thanks for the tip #1angelfan, I'll have to check it out I usually get the CD in the mail....which I have already, but if there is a discount to be had, I'm all over it.
Yeah I always got it every yr in the mail, and had to pay ahead of time. Why I asked myself when I can pay later when I need it, and less. Sometimes Im slow, and if the excuse works for Timmy, It should work for me. Im all over that! Lol

backinbrown

respect my authority
i used it ato check h&r block i found 1700 that they missed

they offered me a pre-paid phone call

i will be doing it myself with turbo this year