Turbo Tax 2008

Bad Gas!

I'm a Turbo Tax fan.I do the kids(24 and 19 ) with it also....It's easy but i still don't feel like messing with it....Do you know what i mean?

I've used it for years. One year I even paid my self employment tax on it. (Mr. geithner) In 2007 I had over 200 equity and options transactions that I just transferred from my brokerage account.

InTheRed

I used the 1040EZ form for years, then went electronic for about 2-3 years until I bought a house. I tried H&R and I didn't understand why my refund was so small considering i bought a house that year. I double-checked my refund and found out they did not deduct about $9k of interest. I had them fix that one and refund my money and no more H&R for me.

The next year I used a tax pro and didn't see any savings.

I'm back to turbo tax or whichever program I happen to have handy.

upsr99

upsr99
I file my taxes using Taxact and State of Wisconsin online Taxes, which cost me nothing but my time. I have used Taxact for about 10 years. Try it you'll like it.

bluehdmc

is it just like h and r block? Does the software try to suggest that you get an anticipation refund loan with usury rates that would make the most unscrupulous bankers envious? Does it suggest to open an account with its bank ? Does the software speak in broken english and give the impression that it barely knows how to deal with tax returns (as if it only superficially learned how to do this a few months ago)?

LOL, I guess it's been so long since I went to h&r block, it was before they had a bank, etc.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I find it interesting that they "give away" the program for free to the "poor" while those of us in the middle class get to pay more for our version. Kinda like taxes, those that make less than 30 grand dont pay, while the rest pay out the butt. Both in taxes and program cost.

I do find it to be fairly simple to use if you have simple issues.

The one really serious item they screwed me on was when I filed my father in law's return the year he died. The program did not recognize it for what it was and printed the return with errors on it. Cost me an additional 490 bucks two year later after the IRS went through it.

BTW, you can file up to 5 different returns on the version you pay for. Share it.:wink2:

d

I used to fill out the forms myself because I didn't trust software to maximize my return, but for the past 3 years I have used TaxAct and it seems to do a pretty good job and the cost is right (it's free). You can also go on irs.gov and find some other e-file providers as well.

I am currently doing tax returns for a popular payday advance corporation and the fees they charge for filing taxes are insane. They charge per form along with some other "administrative" costs. A typical 1040EZ costs about $125 to file and the price goes up as you add dependents, EIC, w-2's, schedule A, schedule C, state returns, etc. The cost of the rapid refund (basically a refund anticipation loan) is also insane. But the customers of payday advance stores are almost always desperate for their refund so they pay the insane costs to get their money right away.

My advice -stay away from the tax preperation chains/rapid refund ripoffs and either use Turbo Tax or some other software to do your own return and save yourself some money. You will get your return in as little as 2 weeks.

blue efficacy

I have been using Turbo Tax (free version) for a couple of years. I'm still kicking myself for ever having paid HR Block or anyone else to do my taxes for me.
Indeed, for the most part these stores prey off of ignorance. And then of course, to take it further they offer those extremely profitable (for them) refund anticipation loans..

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Indeed, for the most part these stores prey off of ignorance. And then of course, to take it further they offer those extremely profitable (for them) refund anticipation loans..

...the sad part is I was in WalMart today making my inside deliveries and the H&R Block booths were full with people waiting. I glanced over and I would be willing to bet that all of the people that I saw there could do their own taxes if they wanted to--a lot would qualify for the free program.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
...the sad part is I was in WalMart today making my inside deliveries and the H&R Block booths were full with people waiting. I glanced over and I would be willing to bet that all of the people that I saw there could do their own taxes if they wanted to--a lot would qualify for the free program.

Apparently, they feel they will miss something and screw up their taxes. I have used Turbo Tax for 5 years in the past and it is very good.

emmasdad

I used TT for 5 years and it even said I did my returns correctly. The IRS audited my returns for those five years and then said I owed them money when TT said I was eligible for a refund and they said I got a refund when TT said I had to pay. I paid a tax accountant to look at those audits. He got me deductions I never knew possible, refunds went through the roof, the IRS doesn't look at my returns any more and I am happy to never again use TT.

satellitedriver

Can you use Turbo Tax if you run a small business as a sole proprietor?
Yes, you can.
I love Turbo Tax,
doing a schedule C is a breeze.
I have always prepared my own taxes.
After going through the tax changes in the 80's, on paper, ( ie: 5 year averaging, farm tax credit,deprecation of tangible assets) and then adding 2 side business's on, I got my first computer in 1998.
I was one of the first test tax e-file, using Turbo, and I was sold.
What use to take me days filling out forms, now only took 30 minutes.--if you have all the info at hand.
Thank the great Ju Ju, I now only file a simple 1040, but I still use Turbo Tax, to do it.