turkeys

BrownSuit

As far as Jim Casey rolling over in his grave, the company has not always given out a physical turkey.Somebody mentioned the Gold Coin, that was actually what was done in the starting years of the company with the idea of purchasing a turkey.Keep in mind people didn't have freezers when the company started.On UPSers there will likely be a blurb about the history of the turkey.I would recomend reading that before being ungrateful and thinking that Casey is rolling over in his grave.The company is not obligated to do anything. It isn't in the contract and certainly wasn't anything that I signed when I started with the company.

pretzel_man

True about going public.You never got a bonus? I might be aging myself.When I started in 86 we received $1000 bonus around Christmas time.Once Mr Casey passed on it was stopped.

Are you talking about the bonus that was negotiated as part of your contract?

I've been here over 30 years and that's the only bonus I recall.

As far as turkeys go, I personally liked picking up my turkey. Most feedback I got was that people liked the changed to the voucher.

By the way, the corporate communication that went out on the Turkeys said that it was due to the supplier saying that our order could not be filled due to their facing of "business difficulties".

P-Man

OldUPSDriver

I believe that back in the mid 60's you were given a voucher for the turkey and it was the norm for the times. Passing out the frozen ones was a pain in the :censored2:.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I like how the take charge reward card is taxed.. It doesnt show on the statement they mail, but if you log into upsers.com, you will see another paycheck for the amount of the card after taxes are taken out..

Do yourself a favor and research before you post as you may look like a fool otherwise.

On your sales lead pay stub, you will see an item marked "net sales lead". That is the amount that is put on your card for you to spend. Now, you will notice that the amount under "gross pay" is much higher than the amount under "net sales lead." Why is that? Well, if you take your gross pay and subtract the net sales lead you will find that this number will equal your total taxes for that check. Why is that? Because UPS pays the tax on this so that you get every penny of that sales lead that you are entitled.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The UPS holiday turkey is a tradition dating back to the early days of the company.

The UPS holiday turkey is a tradition dating back to the early days of the company. Before the holiday turkey, a gold piece, the legal tender of the time, was given to each employee as a symbol of the company's appreciation. The gift was not meant as a bonus for extra work during the holiday season, but rather as recognition for their hard work throughout the year.
As the company grew and the number of employees increased, turkeys replaced the gold pieces as the gift of choice during the 1920s. Originally, the turkeys were delivered to the homes of employees. Later, during the 1930s, the turkeys could be picked up at a butcher shop, either live or dressed. Employees could also have the birds delivered to them at work.
The turkeys were not distributed from 1937 through 1944 due to the effects of the Depression and the rationing of World War II. An article in The Big Idea stated, "The company regrets that because of the increased cost of business operations, heavier taxes, and the likelihood of less volume due to the business recession, it has become necessary to discontinue the practice of distributing Christmas turkeys." During this time, Jim Casey wrote a memo voicing his opinion on the matter: "I am for the turkey idea and whatever the cost is, we should pay it. It's not a question of costs, but something to show that we really feel close to our people. We want to show our appreciation in some way or another."
In December 1945, after World War II was

tiegirl

tiegirl
I think this is a better decision. Some people are vegetarians and have no use for a turkey. Others, like myself, prefer to order free-range organic turkeys. Or we might be having a lot of people over and the UPS turkey is too small. I always wind up donating my UPS turkey to a local food bank anyway, and I can do the same with the gift card. Another benefit to this choice is that processing, transporting and storing the turkeys to all the different locations is rather wasteful in terms of fuel and overall energy use compared to a gift card.

Either way, I think it is a mistake to develop a sense of entitlement around getting a turkey, and whether I get a turkey or a card I do appreciate the gesture.

Last edited:

Big Babooba

Are you talking about the bonus that was negotiated as part of your contract?

I've been here over 30 years and that's the only bonus I recall.

As far as turkeys go, I personally liked picking up my turkey. Most feedback I got was that people liked the changed to the voucher.

By the way, the corporate communication that went out on the Turkeys said that it was due to the supplier saying that our order could not be filled due to their facing of "business difficulties".

P-Man
That bonus was a "signing bonus" (bribe). $1000 to a full timer and $500 to a part timer. If the contract wasn't ratified, you wouldn't get your bribe...er "bonus".

There were times when I didn't need a turkey and would bring it to the food bank or to the church. It gave me a nice feeling knowing that somebody less fortunate might be having a better Christmas. What goes around eventually comes around. Last Thanksgiving, when I was out on comp, I was the recipient of a turkey from somebody who knew my situation. Now I know what it is like from both sides.

Last edited:

retired2000

can you really trust ups to give your donated food card to a food bank? if you do donate your card to a food pantry through ups how many of those cards will make into some sups back pocket.