turkeys

Johney

That bonus was a "signing bonus" (bribe). $1000 to a full timer and $500 to a part timer. If the contract wasn't ratified, you wouldn't get your bribe...er "bonus".
I remember getting the bonus at christmas time, then getting it as a "bribe" for the ratification of a new contract(1990 maybe?) after which I believe the bonus was taken out in exchange for higher raises.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

can you really trust ups to give your donated food card to a food bank? if you do donate your card to a food pantry through ups how many of those cards will make into some sups back pocket.

Our center has established an association with one of our local American Legions and we are urged to donate our unwanted turkeys to them so that they can add them to food baskets which are then distributed to those who need them. Our local Salvation Army is always looking for donations and will take any leftover turkeys as they prepare Thanksgiving dinner for those who wish to partake.

When I was married I always took the turkey and we enjoyed a nice meal. It is just me now so the turkey is way too much so I always donate it. If this change to a gift card is true and our purchases are not limited then I will keep and use the card for my personal use so I guess this change may have a negative effect on those who have come to rely on our generosity.

gandydancer

Yeah,I don't care either way. (but I would miss that turkey during the super bowl which is when I always cooked it) As for Jim Casey rolling in his grave I think he started spinning when we lost our bonus.

The only "bonus" I ever recall getting, as an hourly, was the flat payment ($500/pt, $1000/ft, per year) the company stuck in their offer circa 1986 as a cheaper (for them) alternative to wage increases. Then in the next contract (1989?) they cut it back to just the first year of the contract, and the hourlys voted to accept the company's offer rather than hold out for anything that the union had put on the table. The result, I recall, was that I made less money under the new contract than I would have had the old one just continued in force.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I could give the card to a local welfare recipient so they could use it to buy booze and cigarettes and save the food stamps for the cellphone bill. Did I type that out loud?

tunemixer

Are you talking about the bonus that was negotiated as part of your contract?

I've been here over 30 years and that's the only bonus I recall.

As far as turkeys go, I personally liked picking up my turkey. Most feedback I got was that people liked the changed to the voucher.

By the way, the corporate communication that went out on the Turkeys said that it was due to the supplier saying that our order could not be filled due to their facing of "business difficulties".

P-Man
I have been with UPS over 25 years and I too only remember a bonus as part of the contract. We never received any bonus for Christmas or any other time.As far as getting a turkey or gift card is concerned. Its no big deal to me. I really could car less. I think too many people think they are owed something . Be thankful you still have a job. We have more security with our jobs then many others do. Sure there may be some layoffs afte peak. There usually is. Will there be more then other years? Probably . But chances are very good they will be coming back before too long. I think many of the 240,000 jobless this past week wish the only thing they had to worry about was getting a turkey or a giftcard.

paidslave

I have been with UPS over 25 years and I too only remember a bonus as part of the contract. We never received any bonus for Christmas or any other time.As far as getting a turkey or gift card is concerned. Its no big deal to me. I really could car less. I think too many people think they are owed something . Be thankful you still have a job. We have more security with our jobs then many others do. Sure there may be some layoffs afte peak. There usually is. Will there be more then other years? Probably . But chances are very good they will be coming back before too long. I think many of the 240,000 jobless this past week wish the only thing they had to worry about was getting a turkey or a giftcard.

Well said..I think these people would do an extra 20 stops too, free! I can't believe this Turkey tradition lasted as long as it has quite frankly!

If UPS truly wanted to say thanks, hahahaaa,,,and be genuine we would have it for THANKS GIVING anyway!

Very corney idea, I say bring back the GOLD pieces. I hope UPS doesn't replace ham for turkey.

Let the Ham truck pull up and give you a HAM shake for all your hard work with along with a GOLD PIECE!

Something of value!

Last edited:

haydendavid380

is property of UPS
I understand it can only be used for a Turkey or Turkey product.....
Unless you can find some Turkey beer :happy-very:

Does this count then?

305522159_912d2058fb.jpg

New Englander

Since I bought my big fryer last year and had fried turkey for Thanksgiving I'm really looking forward to it again this year AND my Christmas Turkey!

mikestrek

just found out that ups will not be handed out any turkeys this year for christmas. instead eveyone will be getting a $15 gift card to a local grocery store. i bet jim casey is turning over in his grave as i write.
No problem here. I always thought UPS would have put an end to that long ago anyway. I was wondering when it would come to an end. At least UPS is giving out a $15 gift card. I didn't even expect that. But that's great.

705red

Browncafe Steward
This is no joke, last year we had a driver that was on comp and never recieved his turkey. He was upset because he had gotten 1 for years, so we filed a grievance on it and yes he won his turkey!

It will be much easier to mail these gift cards to our comp employees this year to avoid these grievances.lol

This is no joke, last year we had a driver that was on comp and never recieved his turkey. He was upset because he had gotten 1 for years, so we filed a grievance on it and yes he won his turkey!

It will be much easier to mail these gift cards to our comp employees this year to avoid these grievances.lol

Did he expect the turkey to be mailed to him?

raceanoncr

Man!!! I thank my lucky stars I work for such a caring company! To think that after 30 yrs of not crashing into anything and saving the company tons of money...they reward me with a $15 card!!!! This makes it all worth it!!!

LiL"Comet"

Well said!!!! Along w/ soberups!!!!! Last Year Was A Turkey To Remember!!!! for me

Grateful is something to be especially at the holidays for what we have rather than what we don't. Last year for me was the most valuable x-mas ever and also the most stressful at first..

I went driving last year last week in Oct. came back from driving school went on the road Nov 6 started my first day on rd. Which the 15th of Nov. starts the free period so 30 days out the window. I came from management part time worked as oms in office for 8 yrs while driving had a great time the experience was very good. Finally met some of our customers I always helped and spoke to most on a daily basis.

As you all know management gets a bonus in December well that didn't happen for me ( I was devastated). That buys my 3 children's x-mas every year, so I was totally stressed as to what the hell I was going to do. My husband had to quite work when I went driving because what we would have paid in day care wouldn't have been worth what was left of his pay check. Not only did I not get the bonus I thought I worked for nearly all year long but my paycheck was being screwed up every week from the transition I was told.

My bills were literally in a pill on my kitchen table, after coming home from working all day I would come in see my kids to bed and just cry trying to think of what to do. I had to choose between what bills were of coarse the necessities even had to go to local social services to help with power bills (which is a freak-in joke the govt). We dug a whole with the decision I made to go driving after waiting 8 yrs to get the chance to do.. and end the end it was the right choice for us. It was just a very, very, rough road.

I had a call from a local co-worker to come by her house after I got off my route one afternoon. When I arrived we chit chatted about myself and family what we would do for presents, food, and etc. She walked me downstairs to her living room filled with presents for my children:sad-very: I balled my eyes out... Then she handed me a card with every-one's little note and money from all the drvrs, pt sup, ft sups... (everyone)

I just couldn't believe it I literally felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders... I was so very thankful to receive the generosity of fellow co workers and the turkey that was so delicious from UPS. It was the most wonderful Thanksgiving I have ever received (even though it was after thanksgiving holiday) and this year me and my family are going to return to favor to others..:peaceful::peaceful::wink2::happy-very::happy-very:

browniehound

I apologize to browncafe but I'm standing on my soapbox in this post. The Turkey was a bonus and the $15 gift card is a bonus. If you asked me, I could care less about either one this year. The only thing I care about is my job.

Turkeys, giftcards, and stock bonuses (where applicable) are exactly what they are-bonuses. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away. It is a holiday to give thanks for what we have. I will tell every employee at UPS "You have many things to be thankful for".

Does anyone disagree that you have a job that pays well with insurance benefits? I will also add that layoffs at UPS may happen but it will be temporarily. You will eventually get your job back sooner rather than later.

I would rather have UPS cut the bonus if it would save jobs. We are very lucky to work for a company like UPS when the economic climate is what we are experiencing now and will probably get worse.

I get angry at UPS management. I think I will swallow my anger for the forseeable future and be very happy when I'm over-dispacthed. I will actually welcome it becuase its money in my pocket in tough times.

I used to get angry that I was over-dispatched 2-3 days a week and not recieve help but was required to take 10 stops when I was at the lower end of my dispatch range.

When I think about it, its such a trivial response to a trivial matter. Most of our gripes are when you look at "The Big Picture"

It can become a problem though. A "normal dispatch" for a UPS driver is a lot of work. When we are over-dispatched day after day it takes its toll on us.

That was my last complaint.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,

Brownie:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Man!!! I thank my lucky stars I work for such a caring company! To think that after 30 yrs of not crashing into anything and saving the company tons of money...they reward me with a $15 card!!!! This makes it all worth it!!!

Uh, have you forgotten the safe driving and years of service award programs?

sano

I apologize to browncafe but I'm standing on my soapbox in this post. The Turkey was a bonus and the $15 gift card is a bonus. If you asked me, I could care less about either one this year. The only thing I care about is my job.

Turkeys, giftcards, and stock bonuses (where applicable) are exactly what they are-bonuses. Thanksgiving is 2 weeks away. It is a holiday to give thanks for what we have. I will tell every employee at UPS "You have many things to be thankful for".

Does anyone disagree that you have a job that pays well with insurance benefits? I will also add that layoffs at UPS may happen but it will be temporarily. You will eventually get your job back sooner rather than later.

I would rather have UPS cut the bonus if it would save jobs. We are very lucky to work for a company like UPS when the economic climate is what we are experiencing now and will probably get worse.

I get angry at UPS management. I think I will swallow my anger for the forseeable future and be very happy when I'm over-dispacthed. I will actually welcome it becuase its money in my pocket in tough times.

I used to get angry that I was over-dispatched 2-3 days a week and not recieve help but was required to take 10 stops when I was at the lower end of my dispatch range.

When I think about it, its such a trivial response to a trivial matter. Most of our gripes are when you look at "The Big Picture"

It can become a problem though. A "normal dispatch" for a UPS driver is a lot of work. When we are over-dispatched day after day it takes its toll on us.

That was my last complaint.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone,

Brownie:peaceful:

Great post!
Reminds me of my Mom. If we would complain she would make us sit down and write a list of 10 things we were thankful for. Even all these years later it still puts me in a better frame of mind to count my blessings.