Turkeys

Air Hub

I just bought a Turkey at Winco for $4.
So it is really not much of a loss for me.
I not really sure I would consider $4 a Xmas bonus anyway.

retired2000

no turkeys and no gift cards. if you ask ups they will tell you that you ar elucky that they ar epaying you they are so broke

whiskey

no turkeys and no gift cards. if you ask ups they will tell you that you ar elucky that they ar epaying you they are so broke
I have a story to go along with each of the 28 turkeys I have received from UPS. That's what so sad about this important tradition coming to an end. It wasn't the turkey, it was what each and everyone of us did with that turkey. The transcending theme was love. It was never about bottom line.
So be it.

rod

Retired 22 years
I paid 38 cents a pound today for a turkey. Makes you wonder how much UPS paid back when the bought them by the train load.:wink2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
That's what so sad about this important tradition coming to an end. It wasn't the turkey, it was what each and everyone of us did with that turkey. The transcending theme was love.

Whiskey

Hows about every UPSer taking an hour of OT and buying one, and letting the love continue? Or not. Giving something away that was given to you is nice. But to buy something and give it away.........or not. I have not gotten one in 5 years, but every year the people that were used to getting mine still do.

As for Jim's legacy, that was sent to the landfill when we went public. I know it was needed, I know that to be a player, we had to change.

But sometimes its just best to say no to those that want to corrupt our core values.

JMHO

d

worldwide

Whiskey

Hows about every UPSer taking an hour of OT and buying one, and letting the love continue? Or not. Giving something away that was given to you is nice. But to buy something and give it away.........or not. I have not gotten one in 5 years, but every year the people that were used to getting mine still do.

d

Truer words. If UPS does not give the turkeys to the employees, will those same number of employees do the same out of their pocket for someone else? If not, why not?

whiskey

Whiskey

As for Jim's legacy, that was sent to the landfill when we went public. I know it was needed, I know that to be a player, we had to change.

But sometimes its just best to say no to those that want to corrupt our core values.

JMHO

d
If a driver is paid over an hour, then you are right, he is "taking" or stealing an hour of overtime from UPS. Extrapolating, the driver then buys and gives away a turkey purchased with stolen money. Whomever gets the turkey is accepting stolen goods. Then you introduce a can of worms.

over9five

Staff member
I don't care that we no longer get turkeys. We all make a great wage and we can buy our own.

I do worry about whatever vendor/farmers that UPS no longer pays for the turkeys. That has to be a hard hit. I imagine jobs and maybe farms will go under.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The real loser in this is going to be the charities that will no longer be getting holiday turkeys. One of our local American Legions has several retirees and ex-UPSers on their board so they would make up gift baskets which would be supplemented by UPS turkeys. Last year we donated unused turkey coupons. This year...

over9five

Staff member
The real loser in this is going to be the charities that will no longer be getting holiday turkeys. One of our local American Legions has several retirees and ex-UPSers on their board so they would make up gift baskets which would be supplemented by UPS turkeys. Last year we donated unused turkey coupons. This year...
Excellent point. Someone has to start collecting at work. Ten bucks apiece to replace the turkeys? I know, it'll be much harder than getting people to give up a coupon.

code5

Sorry everyone, but I always thought the Turkeys were kind of insulting. Most organizations hold Christmas parties for adults and another for kids and spend big time for it in appreciation.

UPS, however, pretty much demands that we put work first over everything else big time during peak. The only reward we ever get is money. Sorry, but sometimes it would be nice to get some type of acknowledgement for working hard other than just overtime.

The years of service and safe driving awards programs were great, but they seem to be gone. The SLIM program was great too, but it too has been very diluted. Even the good old fashion verbal recognition seems to be gone from management. Its as if too many UPS management is scared to compliment for fear you may see their weaker side or something!

browndevil

Sorry everyone, but I always thought the Turkeys were kind of insulting. Most organizations hold Christmas parties for adults and another for kids and spend big time for it in appreciation.

UPS, however, pretty much demands that we put work first over everything else big time during peak. The only reward we ever get is money. Sorry, but sometimes it would be nice to get some type of acknowledgement for working hard other than just overtime.

The years of service and safe driving awards programs were great, but they seem to be gone. The SLIM program was great too, but it too has been very diluted. Even the good old fashion verbal recognition seems to be gone from management. Its as if too many UPS management is scared to compliment for fear you may see their weaker side or something!
Our local union holds an annual Christmas party for the kids

upsgrunt

I'm pretty sure Ups owned the turkey farm to cut the cost of the turkeys they used to give. Who knows what they did with it when the decision was made to discontinue the turkey gifts.