Turn by turn

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I sense the presence of WestCoastHD in the turn by turn thread. It's hard to believe it wasn't a spoof.
funny you should mention that, as I've been thinking along the same lines myself - and as Jack alluded to in his post

"New Guy: "How do I figure out stop order without a machine to tell me?"

Contractor: "I don't have time for this, hit up the FedEx forum on BC."

PHpi4ue.gif

I mean honestly, does seem a bit unreal that a guy who has never posted before, somehow decides to come to BC to seek help for such an immediate and pressing matter - and so close on the heels of what has now become the second funniest thread of the week.

I think we may have been punked by Mr. Massive Stinky himself......and if so - :likeit:

TeamLift

A map doesn't tell me what order to do it.

Just start at any stop you like, then go to another you like and so on, can't be any worse than the way they figure it for you, at HD if you run it the way the computer maps it , you'll be out there till 9.00 pm. Just today they had my 2nd stop bumping up against my 48th stop, nice.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
funny you should mention that, as I've been thinking along the same lines myself - and as Jack alluded to in his post

"New Guy: "How do I figure out stop order without a machine to tell me?"

Contractor: "I don't have time for this, hit up the FedEx forum on BC."

PHpi4ue.gif

I mean honestly, does seem a bit unreal that a guy who has never posted before, somehow decides to come to BC to seek help for such an immediate and pressing matter - and so close on the heels of what has now become the second funniest thread of the week.

I think we may have been punked by Mr. Massive Stinky himself......and if so - :likeit:

Negative! I'm much more creative than that! I drink a couple beers, make a massive stinky post and I'm the talk of the forum!

Route 66

Negative! I'm much more creative than that! I drink a couple beers, make a massive stinky post and I'm the talk of the forum!
Ha!....well just enjoy the notoriety then I guess! :laugh:

I still think the OP of this thread has to be a joker though - (likely a bored manager somewhere)

soc151

Yeah, this post isn't far off from what happens when the HD plotting system goes down... most of them can't even read a map.

It's Armageddon.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will admit to using "turn by turn" when I drove down to spend the weekend with my daughter and her family. I like to watch the nav system "recalculate" when I "miss" (on purpose) one of their suggested turns.

TeamLift

Those are HD drivers. Ground doesn't have turn by turns. Actually if he wanted to turn the GPS on in his scanner, it would take him stop to stop.

Scanner goes into safe mode as soon as you start moving at my hub, too many wrecks with drivers looking at scanner while driving. Scanner freezes on your last stop until you stop again. On the HD side if you have the correct Garmin GPS you can have your entire route downloaded to it and it gives you everything that is on your turn by turns even telling you how many packages you will be delivering on each stop. As you are going down any street or road it will let you know if you will be going down those roads as well in the next few stops. Ground doesn't need turn by turns, should be easy to remember 25 or 30 stops. Most of the places you guys deliver to have signs 150 feet in the air, pretty easy to find.

bbsam

Staff member
Scanner goes into safe mode as soon as you start moving at my hub, too many wrecks with drivers looking at scanner while driving. Scanner freezes on your last stop until you stop again. On the HD side if you have the correct Garmin GPS you can have your entire route downloaded to it and it gives you everything that is on your turn by turns even telling you how many packages you will be delivering on each stop. As you are going down any street or road it will let you know if you will be going down those roads as well in the next few stops. Ground doesn't need turn by turns, should be easy to remember 25 or 30 stops. Most of the places you guys deliver to have signs 150 feet in the air, pretty easy to find.
No. There is a function in the scanner that verbally tells the driver where and when to turn. I use it often to help train.

STFXG

No. There is a function in the scanner that verbally tells the driver where and when to turn. I use it often to help train.
I tried it once and it sucked, but that was when it was in beta. Does it cost anything now that it's up and running? I remember them saying we might have to pay for it if we use it.

bbsam

Staff member
I tried it once and it sucked, but that was when it was in beta. Does it cost anything now that it's up and running? I remember them saying we might have to pay for it if we use it.
No. It's free. I only use it on about week three of training on simple routes. Much of it doesn't make since but it's just until the new.driver feels.comfortable in the area.

dex 84

Go into the back of the truck, take a package off the shelf, look it up, drive there and deliver it. Repeat until truck is empty.

Route 66

Go into the back of the truck, take a package off the shelf, look it up, drive there and deliver it. Repeat until truck is empty.
I remember a newhire once who actually did do it exactly like that. He was invited not to come back the next day - or ever again.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
On the HD side if you have the correct Garmin GPS you can have your entire route downloaded to it and it gives you everything that is on your turn by turns even telling you how many packages you will be delivering on each stop. As you are going down any street or road it will let you know if you will be going down those roads as well in the next few stops.

hi, TeamLift... do you have any info on what Garmin models are compatible for this?!?

I actually had to search around on finding the process on how to get to the gps/mapping software on the motorolla powerpads...

i alt-L to unlocked the scanner

highlight a random stop, "details"...

new buttons "show me" & "take me" and i was like, :surprised:

so being bored/curious, i tried "show me" & an app pops up & loads a mapping software similar to the portable GPS units that we have stuck on our windshields on the rental vehicles:knockedout:

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/software-update-to-the-hd-scanners.353103/#ixzz3kix0SsXJ

pretty neat! but it's cumbersome to switch from mapping software to "PD" and back... only if they can lessen the time to switch back-n-forth, which is why i chimed in on that question... TIA

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
PS Teamlift, maybe the scanners won't freeze up to the highlited stop if we mounted them on to something like this?!?

scanner-cradle-jpg.10535

it would probably stay in "GPS" mode with the map/ route line highlited like a regular gps unit?!?!