Turn by turn

oldngray

nowhere special
7966.jpg
Not crutches, but they do use those little walk behind 4 wheel scooter things.

@Photog 's Rollator?

oldngray

nowhere special
No, just don't be lazy and housebreak them the right way the first time. It doesn't take long but does require effort on your part.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Simply not true. I've used it with a driver and he no longer needs/uses it. Stop talking like you know how I do things.

Yeah. We get it. You hate Fedex.

Not true for you. For others? True. No secret about me and FedEx. What was your first clue?

bbsam

Staff member
The crutches in this case were metaphorical , not physical.
Nobody said that's all the training a driver should get. It does get my time in the seat next to the cut by two thirds because by that time I'm just doing what the scanner is doing. And by the end of it, say a month, the driver sets it up and goes.

dex 84

GPS is distracting though. It gets you there but at a cost of reducing your awareness of your environment. Plenty of drivers would follow their GPS right across an uncontrolled train crossing without looking...

dezguy

I still fail to see how GPS is a tool when you can learn much more by driving yourself. Besides, GPS can't differentiate between the front of a building and where shipping and receiving is. I have been to plenty of businesses where the office is on one street and shipping and receiving on another.

Follow a GPS and its just going to bring you to the street address. Drive there yourself and odds are, you'll see where receiving is before you hit said street address.

soc151

I still fail to see how GPS is a tool when you can learn much more by driving yourself. Besides, GPS can't differentiate between the front of a building and where shipping and receiving is. I have been to plenty of businesses where the office is on one street and shipping and receiving on another.

Follow a GPS and its just going to bring you to the street address. Drive there yourself and odds are, you'll see where receiving is before you hit said street address.

I tend to agree with you...but unfortunately there is a very depleted pool of talent to draw from. For every 1 that has the intelligence and fortitude to excel at this work, we get 5 that can't even tell me what direction North is when I keep asking them throughout the day.

Sometimes, those guys will get it, eventually....maybe even become a passable driver. Stellar, no; servicable, yes. Crutches like GPS and mapping on phones will get them to that point.

It's better to have 2 people half-ass a route than not have a driver at all.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I tend to agree with you...but unfortunately there is a very depleted pool of talent to draw from. For every 1 that has the intelligence and fortitude to excel at this work, we get 5 that can't even tell me what direction North is when I keep asking them throughout the day.

Sometimes, those guys will get it, eventually....maybe even become a passable driver. Stellar, no; servicable, yes. Crutches like GPS and mapping on phones will get them to that point.

It's better to have 2 people half-ass a route than not have a driver at all.

Correct. The average new hire can't read a map, drive worth a damn, much less professionally, and in general, doesn't really care much about the company or the job. I welcome this as the new reality of Express, where we are becoming Ground without the prison record.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
Correct. The average new hire can't read a map, drive worth a damn, much less professionally, and in general, doesn't really care much about the company or the job. I welcome this as the new reality of Express, where we are becoming Ground without the prison record.

Spot on, MFE. I did 7 months at Home Delivery. I felt like a foreigner in the terminal because I was the only one able to speak English.

I took the job under the impression that "FedEx is a great company, this should be a good job." My first day of training, I knew it was time to look elsewhere for something else. Only thing that kept me there was the gross pay. My trainer was grossing $1200 - $1400 a week (200+ stops a day). Not needing a benefits package; I decided that was an okay salary for the mean time.

None the less, a few months in--volume plummeted and I was running 90-100 stops a day (what was once $1000+ became $500) so I quit on the spot. Mind you, although volume plummeted, mileage stayed consistent. Less stops/money but the same amount of hours every week. Hopped on the roof as a roofer for a few months to get me through till I began the academy.

Needless to say, Ground will always undercut everyone else due to the willingness of unskilled idiots and new arrival foreigners willing to work for pennies on the dollar. Get out while you can, because FedEx Express will become Ground sooner than you think.

The contractors are half of the problem as well; willing to work for less. Take a UPS driver's salary, and call that one route. Now these contractors "own" their routes. They're still taking home less than a UPS driver would for driving that same route. Plus expenses. It takes 5 routes to NET a UPS drivers salary. At the end of the day they're still responsible for their own healthcare and retirement. FedEx will always win and the contractor will always lose. But they (contractors) don't see it that way. They're fooled by the dollar signs and don't look at the big picture. Whatever floats your boat, but me personally...I'd like a headache free pension at 65 rather than trying to sub out "my routes" to some GED having "manager".

Last edited:

Purplepackage

We had a new senior in his late 20s start at our station 4 months ago, great guy went from handler all the way to senior and he was only 28 or so. Left last week because he accepted an ops manager position at ground

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We had a new senior in his late 20s start at our station 4 months ago, great guy went from handler all the way to senior and he was only 28 or so. Left last week because he accepted an ops manager position at ground

Ground has been recruiting away Express "talent" for quite awhile. Ground is where the cash is, so they try and get competent people to manage the operations. Oh, sorry, I mean interact with the independent service providers who actually don't run Ground.

We get left with what they don't want.