Turning Them Down

vantexan

This was the first year I've declined to take the SFA. Got asked by mgr to reconsider but I told him things never change, only get worse. I turned down a 9 year safety award several weeks ago too. I don't need trinkets, I don't need attaboys, I need better pay. I even told my mgr if they don't like it they can fire me and pay my unemployment. That I'm a second class citizen in this company so why does it matter anymore. Got a little hot but he knows where I stand. I really doubt I'll make it to 55.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This was the first year I've declined to take the SFA. Got asked by mgr to reconsider but I told him things never change, only get worse. I turned down a 9 year safety award several weeks ago too. I don't need trinkets, I don't need attaboys, I need better pay. I even told my mgr if they don't like it they can fire me and pay my unemployment. That I'm a second class citizen in this company so why does it matter anymore. Got a little hot but he knows where I stand. I really doubt I'll make it to 55.

Good for you. I've seen quite a few people refuse the crap tokens FedEx gives-out for outstanding achievements or milestone anniversaries. But they still think that we can be motivated by paper BZ's, attaboys, and being part of the "team", whatever that means. They just don't get it.

packageguy

Good for you. I've seen quite a few people refuse the crap tokens FedEx gives-out for outstanding achievements or milestone anniversaries. But they still think that we can be motivated by paper BZ's, attaboys, and being part of the "team", whatever that means. They just don't get it.

They get it, they won't win with guys like you, But there are guys who suck that up.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Right on van! How many pairs of binoculars does one household need anyway?

vantexan

Unfortunately, as littleboybrown said, I'm at a station that has more that really suck it up. We get big ovations every time an award is handed out. I've been in places where most were angry with FedEx, but not here. There's a kind of Stepford Wives/Children of the Corn vibe here. They're mostly nice folk but sometimes I feel I'm at some multi-level marketing rally. I'm not the only dissenter but we're the minority.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Unfortunately, as littleboybrown said, I'm at a station that has more that really suck it up. We get big ovations every time an award is handed out. I've been in places where most were angry with FedEx, but not here. There's a kind of Stepford Wives/Children of the Corn vibe here. They're mostly nice folk but sometimes I feel I'm at some multi-level marketing rally. I'm not the only dissenter but we're the minority.

Children of the Corn sounds about right.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

ROFLOL @ multi-level marketing rally!! Do they do the gold coins or the electricity?

DorkHead

Vantexan, first I don`t think you can collect unemployment if you are fired. Laid off or position eliminated, yes, but fired, no. I understand how you feel, believe me, but these awards are offered by your company, not your management team. Accepting these with a hand shake and then maybe privately, with your center manager, in his office, declining the award and why, would show your center manager how you feel respectfully. One example we had at work was a driver received a 20 yr. service plaque. He took the plaque turned and tossed it in the trash can in front of everyone. The center manager didn`t bat an eye and moved forward with the other presentations. Now, the driver might have felt good doing this, but to most of us it was very disrespectful. Most center manager`s decisions are made from above and their hands are tied. Some center manager`s deserve no respect. Being professional and acting so can get your message across also.

vantexan

Vantexan, first I don`t think you can collect unemployment if you are fired. Laid off or position eliminated, yes, but fired, no. I understand how you feel, believe me, but these awards are offered by your company, not your management team. Accepting these with a hand shake and then maybe privately, with your center manager, in his office, declining the award and why, would show your center manager how you feel...Now, the driver might have felt good doing this, but to most of us it was very disrespectful. Most center manager`s decisions are made from above and their hands are tied. Some center manager`s deserve no respect. Being professional and acting so can get your message across also.

No, I didn't reject it in front of everyone but told the mgr in private that I don't want it and why. As I've done several times in the last couple of years. And that it comes from the company is the point. I don't want trinkets from them, I want better pay. They can keep the trinkets. Accepting stuff in front of coworkers is what they want. I'm not playing along anymore.

If one is fired the company has to show just cause in order for you to not receive unemployment. Disagreeing with their pay policies isn't sufficient to be denied. Especially with a company that claims we have a right to express our point of view, even if they are critical of the company. And I stand by what I've said. They are unfair in matters of compensation and don't reward people who work extra hard for them. Thanks for allowing me to make that point again.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I didn't reject it in front of everyone but told the mgr in private that I don't want it and why. As I've done several times in the last couple of years. And that it comes from the company is the point. I don't want trinkets from them, I want better pay. They can keep the trinkets. Accepting stuff in front of coworkers is what they want. I'm not playing along anymore.

If one is fired the company has to show just cause in order for you to not receive unemployment. Disagreeing with their pay policies isn't sufficient to be denied. Especially with a company that claims we have a right to express our point of view, even if they are critical of the company. And I stand by what I've said. They are unfair in matters of compensation and don't reward people who work extra hard for them. Thanks for allowing me to make that point again.

Merely disagreeing with pay policies should not be enough to warrant termination. If it is, I would think it would be considered insubordination and that you would not be able to receive unemployment.

vantexan

Merely disagreeing with pay policies should not be enough to warrant termination. If it is, I would think it would be considered insubordination and that you would not be able to receive unemployment.

If a company says they have an open door policy that allows you to express your opinion to them, even one they disagree with, then you can't be insubordinate for doing so. Different from refusing to do your assigned task or a reasonable request from your mgr. If your mgr tells you to do something unreasonable, as in unsafe, you have the right to refuse. You may get fired but it's on the company to prove you refused something reasonable in order to get your unemployment denied. Most likely the company will rescind your firing if it was an unreasonable request.

quadro

If a company says they have an open door policy that allows you to express your opinion to them, even one they disagree with, then you can't be insubordinate for doing so. Different from refusing to do your assigned task or a reasonable request from your mgr. If your mgr tells you to do something unreasonable, as in unsafe, you have the right to refuse. You may get fired but it's on the company to prove you refused something reasonable in order to get your unemployment denied. Most likely the company will rescind your firing if it was an unreasonable request.
Congrats, Van! A post that is right on the money. I'm proud of you. <<wipes tear from eye>>