Turnover

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Benchmark businesses monitor their turnover closely for two big reasons:

1. Turnover is very expensive.

2. High turnover is a good indicator of unhappy employees.

3. High turnover is the sign of a poorly-run company.

Express turnover is extremely high, and getting higher...but nobody seems to care.

That tells me a lot.

bbsam

Staff member
Depends on who's leaving and how much it really costs to train new drivers with ROADS. If it's the mid to long term drivers leaving, I think that was the plan all along.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Depends on who's leaving and how much it really costs to train new drivers with ROADS. If it's the mid to long term drivers leaving, I think that was the plan all along.
ROADS sucks. Way too many flaws in that system. If they can't even get SRA right the DRA will crash and burn. Besides, DRA only tells what stop order to go by. Doesn't give anymore specifics about customer locations other than that. There is no substitute for good old fashioned route knowledge. Period.

!Retired!

company wide
Not at our station.
ROADS sucks. Way too many flaws in that system. If they can't even get SRA right the DRA will crash and burn. Besides, DRA only tells what stop order to go by. Doesn't give anymore specifics about customer locations other than that. There is no substitute for good old fashioned route knowledge. Period.
True about the route knowledge. But, with 2 or 3 minor changes (and I do mean minor), DRA would be much better. As for info about the customer location, you do realize you can enter your own information that will stay there for future use? I've seen notes put in by a previous courier detailing where to release a package, who to ask for (business) and 1 even had the recipients release number.

Last edited:

hypo hanna

I agree, just not working out that way. At least around here its the noobies leaving for greener pastures. Old ones have no choice but to put up with it till they can retire.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I agree, just not working out that way. At least around here its the noobies leaving for greener pastures. Old ones have no choice but to put up with it till they can retire.

So true about older workers like you and me that are stuck. In my district, managers are dropping like flies, and new hires last around a month before they say "enough". And it's not necessarily the pay, but the working conditions and mismanagement that drive them out the door. A quality company would be deeply concerned, and the fact that the are not speaks volumes about how far down the toilet Express is.

Sniper

One of our long term employes retired recently and FedEx gave said courier the xx years of service banner. I looked at the list of banners. I have been there 22 years this summer and still have 22 people in front of me. :bored2:

I know our geographic area is economically challenged and we have all talked about that before..

I have seen some new hires come and go rather quickly.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One of our long term employes retired recently and FedEx gave said courier the xx years of service banner. I looked at the list of banners. I have been there 22 years this summer and still have 22 people in front of me. :bored2:

I know our geographic area is economically challenged and we have all talked about that before..

I have seen some new hires come and go rather quickly.

I think that it's different in smaller communities. As you have said, there aren't many employment choices in your area. When I spent some time in Arkansas and TN and saw the low wages, I could see how FedEx could be thought of as a "good job"...because there isn't much else. Not true in major metropolitan areas.

DontThrowPackages

I don't think they banked on the noobies leaving so fast. They were hoping to get a lot of topped out and mid range to leave but where they going to go with less than 10 years to retirement? I'm going to say in the next 15 years most of the people who planned on making this company a career will be retired. Left will be employees who come and go. 1 year, years 3 and bye bye. By them, an average customer could see as many as 5 fedx delivery people in one day. But that's what they want. Good on them.

hypo hanna

I don't think they banked on the noobies leaving so fast. They were hoping to get a lot of topped out and mid range to leave but where they going to go with less than 10 years to retirement? I'm going to say in the next 15 years most of the people who planned on making this company a career will be retired. Left will be employees who come and go. 1 year, years 3 and bye bye. By them, an average customer could see as many as 5 fedx delivery people in one day. But that's what they want. Good on them.
It may be what they (fedex) want but there will be a sharp decline in customer service with that higher turnover. Particularly on the pickup side of the operation.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It may be what they (fedex) want but there will be a sharp decline in customer service with that higher turnover. Particularly on the pickup side of the operation.
The pickup side has the most abuse with couriers out of all operations.

Sent using BrownCafe App

yadig

Truck drivers are leaving like crazy! I know a guy with 28 yrs leaving March 1 to drive for walmart..Its a sinking ship!! I'll just step off when it eventually falls apart.

DontThrowPackages

The pickup side has the most abuse with couriers out of all operations.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Very True. When one of these new guys gets behind on PUPs, he just makes a bogus scan and poof that pup is gone. And if the customer calls to ask when the driver is coming, he gets so much red tape from the person fielding calls, they end up driving the freight to the office themselves or even worse, cancel out the astras and use ups. Go on Vacation for a week and see if a customer doesn't say to you," Nobody came by on X day for the pickup..". Too bad.

hypo hanna

Not at our station.

True about the route knowledge. But, with 2 or 3 minor changes (and I do mean minor), DRA would be much better. As for info about the customer location, you do realize you can enter your own information that will stay there for future use? I've seen notes put in by a previous courier detailing where to release a package, who to ask for (business) and 1 even had the recipients release number.
Why would I do that? Before when I was a koolaid drinking customer service oriented loyal employee, I would maintain detailed route books with everything a swing driver would need to know. Now my route book is kept empty. Why would I want to make it easier for them to abuse and replace me?