Turnover

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I may or may not have gone PT recently, and I might even be a PT RTD again, so I get to see lots of stations...hypothetically, of course. And every one of them has a lot of vehicles leaving with trainees. Not foot couriers or check-riding managers.

This always makes me feel warm and fuzzy because Fred is paying double and the new hire will probably quit within a few weeks anyway when they find out how much the job sucks.

Tremendously expensive and wasteful. I hear the accident rates are sky high too...even better. Big dollars out of Fred's pockets. Boo effing hoo.

New Freightliners are nice. Our Swift-quality new RTDs are ruining them as fast as they can.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Well Fred once again gets what he doesn't wanna pay for.

I'm sure he scoffs at the idea of paying better wages and instituting better working conditions which in the long run would cost him less. But I'm sure he thinks he doesn't need to when he's got "geniuses" like Thornton to back him up.

Purplepackage

We just hired 3 part timers for pm pup routes and saturdays. They are being so careful about getting these guys started. It's been 3 weeks and they are just getting in a truck to see a route this week

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All the new trucks, freighliner or volvo are pieces of crap. Has little to nothing to do with the drivers.

The Freightliners are much better than the Volvos. My point was that our new low-quality Swift/CRST type RTDs are destroying equipment because they can't shift, back-up, or drive. Lots of accidents.

fatboy33

The Freightliners are much better than the Volvos. My point was that our new low-quality Swift/CRST type RTDs are destroying equipment because they can't shift, back-up, or drive. Lots of accidents.
Just wait til SFA is totally completed and the call for more stops per hr is in the air. Those Newbies will be doing more than just grinding gears.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would an RTD be concerned about SPH?

Good point. For awhile though, management was trying to establish a rubric for "timed" CTV runs. In other words, a run should only take "50 minutes", and any deviation would result in interrogation and discipline for the lazy RTD. What they failed to take into account was that both AM and PM RTD runs occur during rush hours, so a wide variability is to be expected. They never bothered to ask any of the drivers.

Typical stupidity and a waste of time.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
We just hired 3 part timers for pm pup routes and saturdays. They are being so careful about getting these guys started. It's been 3 weeks and they are just getting in a truck to see a route this week

Our latest batch of new hires were our first that did the tablet training vs what they had been doing for the past couple of years. I don't know if it's the luck of the draw or the changes in training but they are way above and beyond anyone we've hired in a good while.

El Morado Diablo

As if anyone is ever disciplined for performance anymore...

One of our new swings was saying our manager said they'd be fired if they weren't hitting 95% of goal on each route after only two days of training on each route. May as well fire the swing now, he/she is so wired as it is you can bet your paycheck on them being involved in the next accident in the station.

The swing can join the rest of the newer people we have who have found new jobs and are leaving FedEx...

SmithBarney

One of our new swings was saying our manager said they'd be fired if they weren't hitting 95% of goal on each route after only two days of training on each route. May as well fire the swing now, he/she is so wired as it is you can bet your paycheck on them being involved in the next accident in the station.

The swing can join the rest of the newer people we have who have found new jobs and are leaving FedEx...

Our newest swing (6months in) still runs 75-80% daily, unless running an FO route.. I'm pretty sure
they'll never fire the slug.. reading their GAP report, I imagine this person just hops in the back and picks a random package, and drives to that stop..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Our newest swing (6months in) still runs 75-80% daily, unless running an FO route.. I'm pretty sure
they'll never fire the slug.. reading their GAP report, I imagine this person just hops in the back and picks a random package, and drives to that stop..

We have a swing that's been here about as long and is about as good. She can usually set up her P1's without much of a problem but after that it's similar to what you've described. I suggested that she pull into a parking lot after she finishes her P1's and look up the rest of her stops and put them in order, but that doesn't work too well because she insists on looking them up on her phone instead of using a map.

But... it's progress. She was VANning her pkgs and randomly putting them on her shelves during the sort, then standing around afterwards waiting for someone to put them in order for her.

I think swings are either really, really good or really, really bad. There doesn't seem to be very much in between.

Star B

White Lightening
Most of our swings, unless they have area knowledge, are stuck to DRA. I started out SRA because I knew the area that they were going to shove me during Peak.

Have you thought about handing her a laminated map and a dry erase marker or at least sending her with a SRA route with a guy that does that? We have one guy that does that and seeing it in action made me start doing that for my flying-blind-by-force days.