Tv in original packaging arrived cracked

jmusbach

Your lack of properly packing the TV isn't UPS's problem. You decided since it was in a box designed to show features of the TV, not to ship it, that you'd assume that's proper packaging. Most TV's arrive at B&M on pallets, secured in a box type formation with other models of that manufacturer. Did you honestly take a moment to think that a 1/8th inch of cardboard was enough protection to ship your TV across the country? Some retailers choose to do this and take the loss on improper packaging because of the margin on TVs when they do get broke equates to the cost of doing buisness You rolled the dice with improper packaging and lost. UPS is going to deny your claim for that reason, and rightfully so.

A simple google search would send you to this link, to fully explain how to properly pack your 800 dollar TV. If I was shipping something that exspensive, I would have taken a moment to check if I wanted to insure I was doing it correctly.
UPS: Packaging Advisor
Yes the box does show its features, it's also the box it was shipped in--that box was not inside of another box. I guess Sony must of shipped it with other TVs...I thought that since the box made it clear it was a fragile TV it'd be treated as such (thus why it wasn't damaged when Sony shipped it originally) but I suppose I must chalk this up to a expensive lesson. I always keep original packaging for things like this because I've assumed they come shipped with what's needed to keep them safe in regular transport.

jmusbach

Jackburton, I shipped it in what it was shipped with. That box was not contained in any other box. I always keep the materials such products are shipped in assuming that those materials are sufficient for normal transport. But I guess this is a expensive lesson that that's not always the case... UPS could deny it for insufficient packaging, but what they really should do IMO is accept the claim and go after Sony for their poor packaging.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why should they go after Sony? They got the TV to you in one piece. You were the one who didn't bother packing it right.

There is a package sitting at Staples that I refuse to pick up. The consignee took 24 lbs of Craftsman hand tools and threw them in to a box. No bubble wrap/peanuts/newspapers. The box has been there for over a month. I am on vacation---I wonder of the cover driver will pick it up.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Jackburton, I shipped it in what it was shipped with. That box was not contained in any other box. I always keep the materials such products are shipped in assuming that those materials are sufficient for normal transport. But I guess this is a expensive lesson that that's not always the case... UPS could deny it for insufficient packaging, but what they really should do IMO is accept the claim and go after Sony for their poor packaging.
You had me till you started shifting blame to Sony. So tired of people trying to blame someone else for thier mistakes. Just own the fact you screwed up, and as Dave Ramsey says, "pay your stupid tax" in the form of a denied claim.

Cementups

Box Monkey
​Not trying to be a dick, but in 34 years in delivery, I never saw a PC with rollers.

That's because you were in a small center. When I was on a preload we had maybe a dozen trucks or more that had a set of rollers in RDL under the 8000 shelf. They were a pain to load around.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why would a UPS driver step on a tv?!

Sometimes I wonder if drivers just choose random packages to exert their anger into...

Unless you know with 100% certainty and saw it with your own eyes that the driver did it, don't accuse him/her. Drivers are merely the end product of which could be 50 or more people handling a package during it's journey through UPS. I'm sorry your package was damaged in transit but I shall remind you......this damage could have happened even if you used any of the other carriers equipped to handle such a parcel.

ups hero

Based on my professional opinion, the preloader must have tossed one the those little 40LB boxes over your TV. That explains the missing footprint.

Thanks,
​Loyal Teamster
Lol. Now he's a professional after 1 week???? Not everything is preloads fault there HERO! Most damages I see come from the hub and preload catches it before advancing the package. Now go back and tell your management team to grab everyone by the b@lls to get everyone to work harder as you once mentioned..

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's because you were in a small center. When I was on a preload we had maybe a dozen trucks or more that had a set of rollers in RDL under the 8000 shelf. They were a pain to load around.

Live and learn.

Probably a contributing factor was working out in the sticks all those years.

upsgrunt

1. A TV that you pay $800 for is not worth $800 after you use it for several years.

2. Just because you insured it for $800 doesn't mean that is what you will get. You have to prove value.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Load air in the load and start drivers late. Now, driver has to step over your TV to find stuff. That explains foot print sometimes.

No boot print, but definitely a imprint on the box indicating pressure around the area where the crack occurred. Why would a UPS driver step on a tv?!
Maybe your driver don't like you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Or maybe he or she just doesn't care anymore................we do work for the devil.........FYI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DS

Fenderbender
I'm sorry this happened to you js,but I'm not surprised.
It's all about production.The loaders and unloaders are expected to produce,
that's all management cares about.The ones trying to keep the shareholders happy,
have decided that production cancels out claims.
The truth is,only 2 people really care about your TV.The driver that picked it up,
and the one that delivered it.In between,it's a roller derby.
The driver gets in the truck and delivers whatever is in it.
He has no control over what's in it.
Feel free to hate ups,but it was 99.9% NOT the drivers fault.