TV's

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have to replace my old TV and am looking to get a flat screen. Who has purchased flat screens in the last year? Do you like it? Name brand? How much was it? Would you buy a similar product again?

moreluck

golden ticket member
We replaced our old TV with a Magnavox 42" LCD-TV flat screen. Our old tv was in a square section of an entertainment center, so hubby did some carpentry work for it to accept the bigger rectangular TV. Caught a sale, at of all places, Office Depot and got it for $899.00. We like it.

mountaingoat

Got a free 32" LCD TV through one of those "buy land" come-ons. Looks good, and I moved my 32" flat-screen tube TV up into a den.

rod

Retired 22 years
Bought a 32" Insignia for the bedroom from Best Buy for $699.00. It is their house brand (made by Tosheba). Had it a year and had no problems with it. About 6 month later we bought a 38" ($799.00) for the den and haven't had any problem with it either. Both were on sale at the time we bought them so I think we saved about a hundred apeice on them. The 32" was written up in Consumer Reports as the best buy for the $$$$ in its size.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Bought a 42" Samsung tv from Best Buy for approx 940.00. I'm telling you if you are not watching tv in high-def you don't know what you're missing. The picture looks almost 3D. So come on! Get a good tv...football season is right around the corner!!!!

dillweed

I plan to buy a nice old-fashioned TV at the pawn shop - can get them cheap right now. Hook up the converter box and wala!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I have to replace my old TV and am looking to get a flat screen. Who has purchased flat screens in the last year? Do you like it? Name brand? How much was it? Would you buy a similar product again?
What size are you looking at and how much are you willing to spend?
Amazon.com has great prices, they usually beat the storefronts by a significant margin and I can vouch for their delivery service.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
This is a purchase that I am not doing on line. I need to go look at the TV's. Besides I would rather del it myself, not that I don't trust shipping companies. LOL

What is everyone watching? Plasma, LCD, Projection? What do you like/dislike about them. I want a size in the area of 32-42 in. I have heard good things about LG. Have del. a alot of Vizio. Price is of consideration but quality is more important.

Football has started, around here even pre-season counts.:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
We looked at both plasma & LCD. We compared them side by side. Pictures were great on either.

What I noticed was reflections. We were in a store with the bright lights and there was more reflection of those lights in the plasma than the LCD.

We needed the TV in the family/great room.......includes kitchen too. So, I didn't want my bright lights in the kitchen reflecting in the screen, so we chose LCD.

moreluck

golden ticket member
OldUPS driver....that was a good site. I finally went to 'resources' and found where they make the comparisons of Plasma, LCD & projection. I had forgotten about the "burn-in image" factor.

I printed it out for future reference........thanks for posting that.

DS

Fenderbender
What is everyone watching? Plasma, LCD, Projection?
We,it seems like most folks on here bought a 32" sony wega lcd about a year ago and its nice.We should've went a bit bigger.I think the quality is pretty much the same for most name brand tv's now.Plasmas I think have a higher resolution, but for longevity, LCD seem to be the best .
Hockey looks great in hi def:happy2:

dillweed

Am I the only cheap-o who has a converter box and pawn shop scrounging habits? :dissapointed:

btw, thanks for the info, some day we'll be forced to catch up with technology!

I have a 26,two 32, 42,46,and a 52 inch Sharp Aquos spread through out the house. I bought them over the last 18 months either through the UPS-Sharp employee discount or through the UPS-Dell employee discount. You`ll see the discounts increase around the holidays,I think it was almost $1000 on the 52. What I do is run the model number through amazon,nextag,etc, to see what the best price is and the two employee sites were always the cheapest. I haven`t had any trouble with any of them and I`m real happy with the picture and ease of use.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well, we went to Costco and after looking at what they had and doing some price comparisons on-line I ended up getting a 42" lcd hd Vizio. Was very happy with the look of the picture and with the fact that I could still see a very clear picture even looking from the side of the screen. Picture fade from the side was negligible.