Tweedle Dee or tweedle dumb?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I will chime in on the grammar and spelling rant.
The one I have seen a lot lately is there vs their.
We all make the occasional typo and thank God for spell check, but to continually make the same errors in this fashion greatly diminishes credibility of poster IMHO.
But then again, I guess most of US are just dumb truck drivers anyway:-)

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I just have a problem with a driver that "pulls into the center at the right time" each day.

Secondly, I have a problem with a driver that tells me "they" are telling him to slow down.

There are others that also lead me to believe that the whole thread is BS.

But the bottom line is that there are a ton of variables that contribute to the difference.

One of the interesting things about creating things, since you know everything about the creation, it is very simple for the creator to do "adjustments" to make the creation better. Both for the company and himself.

But as D'S pointed out, there are many cost cutting initiatives that UPS has brought to bear that only serves to drive the customer base away. Yes, it might please wall street, but wall street does not pay the bill.

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I will chime in on the grammar and spelling rant.
The one I have seen a lot lately is there vs their.
We all make the occasional typo and thank God for spell check, but to continually make the same errors in this fashion greatly diminishes credibility of poster IMHO.
But then again, I guess most of US are just dumb truck drivers anyway:-)

Another one is "our" and "are". Our center is great, not Are center is great. This drives me crazy. "Save up to 50% off". It should be either "Save up to 50%" or "Up to 50% off". I hear this on ESPN all the time. "The Celtics won 12 consecutive games in a row":angry:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Watched a commercial last night about a medication that some lawyer was fishing for clients on. They kept repeating, "If you have been injured or have died, please call" What, they got phones in the vault at the cemetery? Do they ever think?

Almost as smart as posting I get off at the right time.......

d

curiousbrain

People who fail to capitalize 'I', as a personal pronoun; very irritating.

edit: And the mish-mash of 'a' and 'e'; such as 'I have good grammer'.

edit x2: Might I also add the misuse of the word 'well' - e.g. 'I did good'; no, in fact, you did well.

edit x3: I could go on ... but i has to go to work which im do good at!\

pretzel_man

Evenin Pman, hope you had a good day at the office. Here, it rained all day, so a good day to catch up on paperwork I have been putting off.

Well, lets see if I can explain it to where we are on the same page.

Now, you allowed him to dictate the answer by not giving you the complete information on the question. How do you compare the following?

Our driver 400 packages 211 stops Got back at the right time Beats it by .50
The other 300 packages 190 stops got back in by 21:30 and beats it by .1

You can not compare the two, because he never told you what numerical value the "right time is. It could have been an hour later. You dont know. So therefor how can you really know if the first driver is actually doing the better job as he claims.

When comparing two drivers, I always want hard numbers. Then figure out what the difference is.

Also, there are other factors not mentioned. Not all stops are rated the same either. Sups around here tried that one. Gave a driver a high density area with a decent allowance, and he knocked off 56 stops in two hours. Blasted his numbers and his over/under. But yet 15 different stops on the same loop that are spread out have the same allowance, but those 15 take the two hours to deliver as well. So not all stops are the same either. But you already know that.

Best

d

I must just be dense this week. I don't understand your point....

Here is what I thought he was saying, and I restated it in my response: "From what you said, someone else takes your route with less stops than you, runs longer than you, and is only .2 to .4 poorer than you on ov/un??"

IF that is what he was saying, then I gave reasons why it could happen. Of course there are other factors.

Now, again.....

Multiple people answer that the reason is that management is playing with numbers..... People here accept that.....

What I pointed out is the most common occurance of running the exact same route and getting much different results......

The other factors make it a different scenario, and also invalidate the other misguided opinions of management interference.....

pretzel_man

We had a DM? once,tell us all, about 60 of us,that "We know every driver steals time"
Up until then,it had never crossed my mind.I took offence to it.
Since that, every detail of what I do is recorded to the minute.
Pretz,to change the topic a bit,
I think that ups is misguided by re-looping using gps and maps.A ride along
with a veteran driver would be far more efficient and productive.
I don't think that cutting routes and over dispatching drivers will do anything
except put more money in the shareholders pockets.The sad part is,the one
that suffers most,is the customer.
P-man Tell your boss DS is not happy with the direction the company is going.
And I have A LOT of friends:wink2:

To the first point.... A single poor manager did damage. He / she does not speak for me or other management. I agree that some feel that way. Just like some hourlies feel all management is out to get them. Both statements are false. I have said before, the poor manager does much, much more harm than a poor hourly.

His / her statement is not related at all to UPS recording what you do. The recording of what you do is more related to the advent of technology and many companies are making use of their data. Its also related to the reduction of staff in centers and overall management. Direct supervision has and I bet will continue to be replaced / augmented with virtual supervision. I know that many jokes and ridicule will come from that statement, but its true.

Data can point out problems quicker than direct observation. It just cannot do it better. A balance is needed.

Next, relooping should be with Maps, GPS, AND driver interaction. Its not an either / or proposition. I have NEVER been able to do it properly without all three.

I'm not going to apologize for caring about the shareholder.... When you invest your money, you want those companies to care about you.... If we ONLY care about the shareholder, we will lose in the long run.

Similar to the relooping. Its not one or the other. Its take care of BOTH the shareholder and the customer. That takes balance too.