Twilighter working as driver's helper?

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Is it possibly. I don't see why. I start at around 6-7pm which is the time drivers clocked out and go home. I asked my steward and he said you have to work preload to work part time, but I don't even trust him. I lost all respect for him last week when a supervisor was giving a driver a warning letter and the driver stood up for himself while the shop steward stood there doing nothing. Can I file a grievance if they refuse me. I'm in local 804 by the way.

Cementups

Box Monkey
That's bull. I had a helper on my route for two peaks who worked twilight. He jumped in my car at 11 and I dropped him off at 4 and he was on the clock for twilight at 5. Sometimes he even pulled a double and worked the midnight shift. He was a beast of a helper. Now he's a feeder driver.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Is it possibly. I don't see why. I start at around 6-7pm which is the time drivers clocked out and go home. I asked my steward and he said you have to work preload to work part time, but I don't even trust him. I lost all respect for him last week when a supervisor was giving a driver a warning letter and the driver stood up for himself while the shop steward stood there doing nothing. Can I file a grievance if they refuse me. I'm in local 804 by the way.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In my building, also 804....if they need helpers they ask us preloaders in the early am if we want to work as helpers that day. I don't know if it's an actual RULE, but that is usually the way it's done.

OptimusPrime

UPS being stupid as usual. Twilight can't do helper duty because it might cut into their building time, but at the same time want to give me a bunch of off the street brigands who don't give two ****s. Push these poop **** seasonals into the building, and give me a helper who "gets" the UPS culture. It's win win.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
UPS being stupid as usual. Twilight can't do helper duty because it might cut into their building time, but at the same time want to give me a bunch of off the street brigands who don't give two ****s. Push these poop **** seasonals into the building, and give me a helper who "gets" the UPS culture. It's win win.
they're not so concerned about building time so much as if a preloader goes out in my hub as a helper...say it's a newer guy, he makes 11/ hr preload. Helper pay is 15/hr (xmas seasonal make $8/hr). So, after 5 hours, preload helper is making 22.50/hr. They don't like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We use helpers from both the preload and metro. The only requirement is that they be off the pkg car so that they can get to work on time.

Perhaps the shop steward stood there because the warning letter was justified.

nystripe96

I'm in 804 twilight and I work as a helper as well. As long as I get back to the building by 7pm my supervisor is ok with it. In March and April they needed helpers everyday, now it's more like midweek tues,weds and that's it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Union will post a sign-up sheet whenever they have a shop steward vacancy. Sign the list and if you are the only one to sign you are now shop steward. If two or more sign there is an election.

I would think that shop steward would look good on a resume.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The Union will post a sign-up sheet whenever they have a shop steward vacancy. Sign the list and if you are the only one to sign you are now shop steward. If two or more sign there is an election.

Yep, not that I'm doing it just to make my resume look better. I'm planning on going into criminal justice, and I always find these kind of work interested, plus I always love to help people whenever possible.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

Not if you plan on applying at Walmart.:happy-very:

AZBrown

Teamster by choice
Anyway, how do you become a steward? I'm very interesting. Does it look good on a resume?
I wouldn't put Shop Steward down on a resume.
It implies that you believe in workers rights, and that you would stand up for yourself.
Businesses generally don't go for that.
Maybe after being in law enforcement, it would help your conflict resolution skills.