Two Die When UPS Truck Hits Horse and Buggy

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Two Die When UPS Truck Hits Horse and Buggy - WNEP

According to State Police, the UPS truck was headed one way on West Winter Road in near Loganton. The buggy, carrying two adults and four children, was going in the opposite direction just before 7 p.m. Friday.

Troopers say, for some reason, the UPS truck drifted into the path of the horse and buggy. The truck hit a rail on the buggy. The truck careened into a tree. The buggy flipped.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
@cheryl, this happened in my old center.

I'm waiting to get more information for myself. Not sure if I would feel compelled to share it.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
@cheryl, this happened in my old center.

I'm waiting to get more information for myself. Not sure if I would feel compelled to share it.
Very sad situation for everyone involved. It's up to you what you share but if I were you I would be discreet. Who knows who (lawyers) are lurking here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's what the video said and going in the other direction.
UPS driver somehow lost control and crossed centerline.

My prayers to the UPS driver and the family and friends of the deceased.

I didn't watch the video before posting my reply. I knew right away from the title that the horse and buggy were owned by an Amish family.

I sincerely hope that our driver was not on her cell phone at the time of the accident.

Truly a tragedy for all involved.

Packmule

Our last air shuttle leaves at 1800. Given the physical nature of our jobs, 7:00 is definitely starting to wear a driver down. Compound that with a dinner eaten too late and any problem with sleep and it would be very easy to drift over the line.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
im glad chery posted this. its a good reminder that we have to be at the top of our game at all times. I know it may sound corny to some of you but the 5 seeing habits and the 10 point commentary WORKS.

if you don't feel well, don't come to work. if you are tired , take a break. if you are out of breaks , take another one . I have and explained why and did not get in trouble.

be mindful of distractions. the phone, changing channel on radio, or anything else that will take your eyes off the road.

that was my biggest fear as a feeder driver. hurting or killing someone because of my negligence.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our last air shuttle leaves at 1800. Given the physical nature of our jobs, 7:00 is definitely starting to wear a driver down. Compound that with a dinner eaten too late and any problem with sleep and it would be very easy to drift over the line.
Wow. I thought our 6:45 air shuttle was early. It's nothing to work til 8-9 o'clock. Even 9 with no break is only a 12 hour day. 7 is not late.

clean hairy

Such a trajedy!
Prayers to all affected, and the strength to deal with the lost lives.
AS well, many Prayers for the recovery of all injured.
Also, Prayers for our Sister in Brown who will have to deal with this each and every day from now on, give her the strength to do so!

Wilson

Let me fashion a guess. UPS driver was texting, reading a web page, or doing something else on his smart phone? I mean how many methods did this driver just toss out the window? I feel bad for the driver and his family. I'm convinced it wasn't malicious. Just negligent.

I have to admit I have a hard time not responding to calls or text while I'm driving. I've just started leaving the phone in my lunch box a few months ago. This and many other distracted driver caused injuries and fatalities are all to common today.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Let me fashion a guess. UPS driver was texting, reading a web page, or doing something else on his smart phone? I mean how many methods did this driver just toss out the window? I feel bad for the driver and his family. I'm convinced it wasn't malicious. Just negligent.

I have to admit I have a hard time not responding to calls or text while I'm driving. I've just started leaving the phone in my lunch box a few months ago. This and many other distracted driver caused injuries and fatalities are all to common today.

Hey, @Wilson. If you had bothered to read the whole thread, you would know that 'he' is a 'she'. And, I know her. And, no one is saying anything.

If you want to start and/or perpetuate rumors, go ahead.

But, in this case, do us all a favor and STFU.

Wilson

Hey, @Wilson. If you had bothered to read the whole thread, you would know that 'he' is a 'she'. And, I know her. And, no one is saying anything.

If you want to start and/or perpetuate rumors, go ahead.

But, in this case, do us all a favor and STFU.

WHO friend'N CROSSES A YELLOW LINE! How many years have you been driving? How many hundreds of millions of miles do UPS driver drive every year without crossing a friggin yellow line. Do I need to be Einstein to connect the dots? The only reason a driver crosses a yellow line is from 1, Medical Emergency, like heart attack or 2, Negligence. PERIOD! That's not spreading rumors that's just listing what we know of the facts and applying common sense. Try it for a change.