Two Killed In Crash Involving Two Semi-Trucks On Turnpike In Grady Co.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Two Killed In Crash Involving Two Semi-Trucks On Turnpike In Grady Co. - News9

According to the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, a UPS semi-truck was parked on the shoulder of the turnpike, and the driver, 55-year-old Cary Neal Rogers, was standing outside, on the passenger side of the truck. A second semi-truck was going eastbound on the turnpike when for an unknown reason, it ran off the roadway to the right and rear-ended the UPS semi.

According to OHP troopers on the scene, the second semi-truck went through two of the three UPS trailers.

Both Rogers and the driver of the second semi, 43-year-old Scott Randall Sims, were pronounced dead at the scene.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Why in the world would he have parked a set of triples on the shoulder of a major highway?
Broke down?

Dave, I don't know if you ever pulled any kind of trailer or not. Maybe, just maybe, he felt something that wasn't quite right, and pulled over to check it out.

Just recently I went with my sister to pick up a camper she and my BIL had bought. I started back with it, and not long on the interstate, I felt something funny. Rather than continue and risk a real accident, I pulled off the road to see what was wrong. Scary, but glad I did it.

The problem in this situation was the guy who ran into the UPS rig.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I also feel really badly for all involved.

Sounds like the driver of the second rig was following tail lights.

Sounds to me that the 2nd driver fell asleep, to drive well into a set of triples means he must have been moving pretty fast. Maybe the feeder driver was having equipment issues (light cord or airline issues), and pulled over as I have done several times on the shoulder to check out all my connections. Condolences to the family of both drivers, and I kind of hope I'm wrong about the 2nd driver falling asleep, but I don't think I am.

RIP drivers

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sounds to me that the 2nd driver fell asleep, to drive well into a set of triples means he must have been moving pretty fast. Maybe the feeder driver was having equipment issues (light cord or airline issues), and pulled over as I have done several times on the shoulder to check out all my connections. Condolences to the family of both drivers, and I kind of hope I'm wrong about the 2nd driver falling asleep, but I don't think I am.

RIP drivers
UPS truck stopped on the shoulder. Other truck traveling at highway speed, 65-70 mph. Not good when they come together. May have fallen asleep, but could have been any other number of reasons. He could have been distracted, blew a steer tire, forced over by someone in the hammer lane, swerved to miss a deer...we will probably never know.

Condolences to the family of both drivers.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

RIP drivers

Wouldn't a weigh station, rest area or other paved turn off be a much safer alternative?

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Wouldn't a weigh station, rest area or other paved turn off be a much safer alternative?

In a perfect world? Absolutely. However, if you realize your vehicle is not acting right, wouldn't it be in the best interest of all motorists to pull over ASAP and check it before something REALLY bad happens?

If he was pulled over 100% on the shoulder, then in my mind he was in the right. The shoulder is used by disabled cars and police officers making traffic stops, so it really can't be all THAT hazardous

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Been on the shoulder many times. Light cord pops out losing all trailer lights. Safer to pull off on the shoulder and fix than to drive however many miles to the next exit.

Had glad hands pop of rear box. For those of you in feeders, you know what happens. Back box locks up and your lucky if you can get the set onto the shoulder.

Had brakes on fire. Melting both tires. Cannot drive on rims.

Had air line to back box pop off on I465 in Indy in rush hour traffic. Could not get over because of traffic. I was in the middle of 3 lanes. It stopped within about 100 yards because back box was locked up.

Cars whizzing by me on both sides doing 60 mph. Talk about scary. Thought I was going to get rear ended and kill someone. Could not even get out to attach line. Rush hour heavy traffic not even slowing down.

Luckily, Indiana's finest came along about 5 minutes later and blocked traffic so I could get out and reattach line.