Two Tier Pay for Driver ?

Buck Fifty

Come on Man, seriously ! People betting the house, spreading the fear. I would personally like to know if anybody would consider voting YES on a contract that raised this issue. I'll give you my insight . WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not much of a gambler yet I'd would probably like ya'lls house better than mine. Just quit with all the BS or keep it friendly. $1 for any& all takers. Fill it up.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Come on Man, seriously ! People betting the house, spreading the fear. I would personally like to know if anybody would consider voting YES on a contract that raised this issue. I'll give you my insight . WILL NOT HAPPEN. Not much of a gambler yet I'd would probably like ya'lls house better than mine. Just quit with all the BS or keep it friendly. $1 for any& all takers. Fill it up.

Judging from the opinions of the regular contributors here... if the Company proposed a two-tier wage system, with new drivers making only minimum wage, they'd care less and vote "YES" provided their pay & pension increased.

DS

Fenderbender
Judging from the opinions of the regular contributors here... if the Company proposed a two-tier wage system, with new drivers making only minimum wage, they'd care less and vote "YES" provided their pay & pension increased.
Why wouldn't they?

40 and out

UPS will definitely try. The opening proposal on the last contract was for a two-tiered wage with $24/hr top rate for new drivers. Can't imagine it would make it to a new contract for us to vote on. If it does, would have to be a HUGE bonus and/or wage increase for me to vote yes. And that's not happening.

Brownkeg8

Why wouldn't they?

I can see it now all high seniority drivers being pushed to the breaking point with even more production harassment. Get high seniority top tier guys to leave as soon as possible, so you can bring in more lower tier guys.

No two tier but if there is one feeders for two tier and package stays the same because we work our ass off and they Know they don't. Just kidding???????????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
There's wiggle room in the contract for many things but 2 tier wages and year around helpers should never even be discussed......

Coldworld

60 months and counting
UPS will definitely try. The opening proposal on the last contract was for a two-tiered wage with $24/hr top rate for new drivers. Can't imagine it would make it to a new contract for us to vote on. If it does, would have to be a HUGE bonus and/or wage increase for me to vote yes. And that's not happening.

When was the last time ups even offered a signing bonus...it's been years...20+ so why do people think they would try now..

Never say never. As previously said, it happened before for the PT'ers. People will say "No Way" to someones face but vote yes at home. And no one will ever know.

anonymous4

I was the one who made the statement to bet the house on such a thing. And let me just say, it was complete sarcasm. You see, UpstateNYUPSer has been touting such a thing for a while so it was a bit of a jab at him. Also, if such a thing passed with or without a signing bonus, or any such trick, that will be my last day at UPS. Part-timers have been getting jerked around when it comes to going full-time as is. There are people in my hub with a decade in still unable to go full-time. These are men and women who started with the company as kids and are now middle-aged. We stuck around knowing one day we'd get the same opportunities as the current lot of full-timers. No guarantees in life, but to put in a decade and have the rug pulled by your own brotherhood would be, as I also said in that thread, the biggest turd the teamsters have laid since inception and my already waning belief in what the union stands for will be effectively bottomed out.

UpstateNYUPSer did not put in time breaking back in the PT ranks, you would think he'd be more appreciative of what we peasant part-timers do for the company. His "solution" to make a profitable company more profitable is to sell out his brotherhood while he himself would NOT even consider a pay cut and rightfully so. The man can spin it any way he wants but it is wrong, period. If times were tough for UPS (and they aren't), would I support such a tiered system? Maybe, however things would need to be blatantly bad around here and it would only affect part-timers yet to be hired. Not the hard working men and women who are entering midlife, looking to finally land the job that allows them to take care of their families.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are plenty of cowards who would vote yes on such a thing for a $5,000 check.

29bo8wm.gif

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call me what you will but I still think that this proposal will be at least discussed during contract negotiations. Yes, the company would need to sweeten the pot (signing bonus) in order to get this implemented, but it does make economic sense and would help position us to remain competitive with Ground.

Lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out for any new FT hire as of the ratification date of the contract.

UPSGUY72

NO 2 tier Pay for people doing the same job that isn't right.. We do the same work after progression everyone should make the same pay.. If anyone Votes yes they are selling there brother out.

UPS is making billions of dollars. They buy other companies with cash no stock...

If you feel the need to give back to a company that is by no way hurting go work some where else.

beentheredonethat

If you have no sense than your $1 is no good !!!
ICU, others here agreed with me, did you negative rep them also? Also, you can't argue the fact that it has already occurred with PT'ers. Sorry, that you don't like the fact that it did happen. Two tier rates have occurred at many other union shops like the UAW. You may be right it won't happen. But I see a lot of people worried more about themselves then the "unborn".

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ICU, others here agreed with me, did you negative rep them also? Also, you can't argue the fact that it has already occurred with PT'ers. Sorry, that you don't like the fact that it did happen. Two tier rates have occurred at many other union shops like the UAW. You may be right it won't happen. But I see a lot of people worried more about themselves then the "unborn".

Everybody always bring up the uaw.....the car companies were on the brink of bankruptcy.....that's why concessions had to be made,UPS is nowhere close to that....there are other ways to deal with threats from FedEx ground.