Two UPS drivers in the same Area?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You said same area, maybe the work was given to a second driver because there would have been to much work for one driver. You do wanna come home at a reasonable time right? Oh that's right, you wanted to send in a eta of 9pm then we would have sent you some help to take those stops anyway..now thats logistics.
Or maybe that second driver is going around delivering the other 6 drivers that got screwed that days "extra work". I have seen them dismantle entire routes 15mins before start times, have management shuttle packages out(filed on of course) to my entire loop, then see every driver come in at 9 when they sent in an eta of 700. Or better yet let's just pull random crap off routes and have the guy delivering in 5 different zip codes because the "plan" called for 60 routes and it just isn't physically possible so we add a route 15 mins before start time. Remember, the system only works right if the information is put in correctly.
e

rod

Retired 22 years
2 drivers in the same area isn't the end of the world. Its when you have 2 or more drivers delivering a handful of pkgs to the same stop that be it becomes a joke. This used to happen all the time--- especially during peak seasons.

Last edited:

Big Babooba

Two drivers in the same area? I can top that. How about 2 drivers in the same area, delivering to the same addresses from 2 different buildings? Now that's Logistics!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You said same area, maybe the work was given to a second driver because there would have been to much work for one driver. You do wanna come home at a reasonable time right? Oh that's right, you wanted to send in a eta of 9pm then we would have sent you some help to take those stops anyway..now thats logistics.
I see your point, but drivers will tell you, that a stop or 5 in a condensed area, makes more sense to leave it on original driver, than to give it to a driver who has nothing in the area at all. That 5 stops for the second driver may take the second driver 10 minutes to drive to, and 20 to deliver, where leaving it on 1st driver could have done it in 15 min. Not to mention the added miles. What is worse is moving 1 single package in that area. How do we make pas figure that out, or the dispatch sup? Many times I have just taken it off the other driver, and it happens in many areas, not just mine.
A move like that just to keep a car in "range" is stepping over dollars to save dimes to me.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I see your point, but drivers will tell you, that a stop or 5 in a condensed area, makes more sense to leave it on original driver, than to give it to a driver who has nothing in the area at all. That 5 stops for the second driver may take the second driver 10 minutes to drive to, and 20 to deliver, where leaving it on 1st driver could have done it in 15 min. Not to mention the added miles. What is worse is moving 1 single package in that area. How do we make pas figure that out, or the dispatch sup? Many times I have just taken it off the other driver, and it happens in many areas, not just mine.
A move like that just to keep a car in "range" is stepping over dollars to save dimes to me.

Great statement and I agree. Most driver's do not look at it like that they look at it as " I am overdispatched" because I am 15 stops over. Take 15 off (red) and the driver now is "in range" (to gray) and he or she can make it in...happens all the time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When the Dispatch Supervisor sets up the dispatch plan, does the trace show subdivisions and try to keep one driver in that area? Just wondering if the software tries to keep one driver in a certain place or not. If a subdivision has ten stops in it and I only need seven to plan up, I might as well keep the other three instead of sending another driver in it. I experience a subdivision or section being broken up between two of us all the time, it doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When the Dispatch Supervisor sets up the dispatch plan, does the trace show subdivisions and try to keep one driver in that area? Just wondering if the software tries to keep one driver in a certain place or not. If a subdivision has ten stops in it and I only need seven to plan up, I might as well keep the other three instead of sending another driver in it. I experience a subdivision or section being broken up between two of us all the time, it doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

This is where a knowledgeable PDS who is willing to listen to the driver(s) is invaluable. The PDS may know where the subdivision is but may or may not know all of the streets within the subdivision. Our PDS knows most of the areas fairly well but whenever he has a question on an add/cut he will bring the driver over to the computer and they will go over it together. Ours is a small center (25-28 routes) which makes it easier to do this.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am wondering if the software has "flags" to let the supervisor know where the sections begin and end. I have had three different supervisors doing dispatch since we went on PAS/EDD. The first one was a 30 year supe and he did the best job, he kept a map book next to him. The second one was the worst dispatcher I have ever seen, he would refuse to look at a map or listen to the drivers. The one we have now just does a so-so job.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am wondering if the software has "flags" to let the supervisor know where the sections begin and end. I have had three different supervisors doing dispatch since we went on PAS/EDD. The first one was a 30 year supe and he did the best job, he kept a map book next to him. The second one was the worst dispatcher I have ever seen, he would refuse to look at a map or listen to the drivers. The one we have now just does a so-so job.

I can only speak from what I have seen in my center but, no, there are no flags which differentiate streets within a subdivision. The listing in the computer is the same as in your DOL. When the PDS cuts work from an area he clicks on the street(s) that he wants to delete from this route and adds them to the area receiving the work.

The most recent upgrade is supposed to allow the PDS to move any pickup stops within the add/cuts to the DIAD of the driver receiving the work. My PDS has not been able to figure out that part yet.

Last edited:

Bristol Brown

No its nothing like that,our new manager is telling the dispatch guy to send 3 drivers into the same area.On numerous occasions two drivers are delivering to the same customer an hour apart and I am going in later to do an on call pick up.I am saying to the new manager and the dispatcher that I should be doing the deliveries and the pick ups in that area.They disagree as the new manager wants me to go to another area thats not mine to do deliveries and pick ups as it helps his numbers.

Customer service isn`t even considered as the numbers are more important.We have the head guy in the UK coming in soon an American by the name of Tony Colazio so obviously want to tell him what a shambles is it when guys scratching a planned day are being messed about along with being asked to go off route to do pick ups and deliveries.

Last edited:

curiousbrain

No its nothing like that,our new manager is telling the dispatch guy to send 3 drivers into the same area.On numerous occasions two drivers are delivering to the same customer an hour apart and I am going in later to do an on call pick up.I am saying to the new manager and the dispatcher that I should be doing the deliveries and the pick ups in that area.They disagree as the new manager wants me to go to another area thats not mine to do deliveries and pick ups as it helps his numbers.

Customer service isn`t even considered as the numbers are more important.We have the head guy in the UK coming in soon an American by the name of Tony Colazio so obviously want to tell him what a shambles is it when guys scratching a planned day are being messed about along with being asked to go off route to do pick ups and deliveries.

If I'm understanding you correctly, your going to tell a "head guy" how messed up things are?

Let me know how that works out.

brownIEman

Scratch, there are no flags to differentiate subdivision automatically in the address database we use. However, the software does allow a Dispatch planner to set up those flags. A Dispatch sup can take a set of any number of address ranges and assign them as a connected block of address ranges and give them a name such as "Whispering Pines Subdivision", he can then easily move that block of ranges from one route to another in the plan by just referring to the name. He would need to know all of the address ranges in a particular subdivision to do this, or he can use the map if all of the ranges in his database are correctly connected to streets on the map, but that is another conversation...

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
What do you call it in the US when due to a poor dispatch two drivers are delivering in the same area?

Only 2 in one area nice, we have 3 some days.

It matters not how many drivers are on the same street, or how many may even go to the same stop.

All that matters is the next morning that you were not paid over.

Try to fix it. Not a chance, just keep your head down and dont be a target. Trying to use logic with mgmt. could lead to bad things.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Scratch, there are no flags to differentiate subdivision automatically in the address database we use. However, the software does allow a Dispatch planner to set up those flags. A Dispatch sup can take a set of any number of address ranges and assign them as a connected block of address ranges and give them a name such as "Whispering Pines Subdivision", he can then easily move that block of ranges from one route to another in the plan by just referring to the name. He would need to know all of the address ranges in a particular subdivision to do this, or he can use the map if all of the ranges in his database are correctly connected to streets on the map, but that is another conversation...

It still amazes me all the money they spent on this system and very few people know how to use it properly to get the intended results. This is not unique to UPS. I know of a few local companies that get sold a new computer system and the money seems to run out before the system has all the information inputted and users properly trained.

brownrod

What do you call it in the US when due to a poor dispatch two drivers are delivering in the same area?

Standard operating procedure.

The resi splits in my center since PAS came online are retarded.

They will take a 30 stop per hour neighborhood and split one street in the center of that neighborhood off to the next route over. All the time. On each route.

Someone screwed up huge when setting up PAS for us. Or I just don't get it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You sound like you have done or are doing dispatch. I was wondering if I could ask a question? My question, if you don't mind, is why does it seem that their are quite a few drivers on here, me included, who see these subdivisions being used to as stop count props. I realize the aspect of creating a paid day, but the logic of how its done escapes me. I do not admit to being a Rhodes Scholar. I just can't wrap my head around how moving one stop in a subdivision to another car just to make a stop count makes any sense.

I appreciate your time, and thank you in advance.