Two weeks of Saturday Ground and... [on topic please]

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The Saturday volume comes from friday pickups. So instead of just keeping it in the building over the weekend for monday. They are delivering it on Saturday. Which means Monday's are now a little lighter due to resi getting delivered on Saturday. With Monday's being lighter means they cut more routes than they should making the remaining routes very heavy.
Your center is doing Saturday routes as well?

JL 0513

What I find very curious is how UPS finds Saturday service financially beneficial. We all know that money is what any business decision comes down to. This can't simply be a case of "customers want Saturday delivery". If it was all about service we wouldn't have Orion or Access Points designed to save money and mileage.

Yet, Saturday will now add millions of extra miles a year (nationwide) while operating with similar volume as the 5 day schedule. They're spreading out routes on Saturdays and Mondays. Essentially covering everywhere twice delivering the volume of one full business day.

Does this not add up to billions more in cost each year with minimal benefit? Did UPS not notice that the Post Master General begged Congress to drop Saturday delivery in order to save billions in losses?

Aside from all that, it creates constant driver scheduling headaches each and every week and complicates the whole operation.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What I find very curious is how UPS finds Saturday service financially beneficial. We all know that money is what any business decision comes down to. This can't simply be a case of "customers want Saturday delivery". If it was all about service we wouldn't have Orion or Access Points designed to save money and mileage.

Yet, Saturday will now add millions of extra miles a year (nationwide) while operating with similar volume as the 5 day schedule. They're spreading out routes on Saturdays and Mondays. Essentially covering everywhere twice delivering the volume of one full business day.

Does this not add up to billions more in cost each year with minimal benefit? Did UPS not notice that the Post Master General begged Congress to drop Saturday delivery in order to save billions in losses?

Aside from all that, it creates constant driver scheduling headaches each and every week and complicates the whole operation.

Do you really think David Abney woke up one morning and decided that we needed to start delivering ground on Saturdays? Of course not-----a lot of planning went in to this before the test markets rolled it out.

Much like any other new service offering, it will take some time to work out the kinks and we will lose money in the interim but, over the long run, it will prove to be beneficial for all involved.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

It's actually more reason for them to be O-holes (Orion a-holes....... copyright pending) during the week.
Money saved can be wasted on a crummy Saturday dispatch.

Amazon is not the only company that would want us to deliver ground on Saturday, could actually win us accounts from Fed-Ex.
Trust me, I don't want to do it either but the writings on the wall with USPS, FedEx, and smaller delivery services on Saturday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah... the first week, they insisted we do it by ORION, especially ORION 1st stop. After having double digit lates, they didn't mention it, again. ORION doesn't work on Saturday. They're essentially combining two or three weekday routes for the Saturday routes & ORION is even more confused than usual (yes, that is actually possible).

I think I ran 8 Airs last week and 5 this week. Multiples are business upgrades that are apparently being done automatically, and are closed... so... freebie CL1s. Getting the air off on time isn't a challenge for those of us who have some area knowledge & experience routing ourselves. The newbies, though... ug... those guys are completely lost.

I had to go help a guy at 2pm who had 45 stops & had only managed 30. He didn't have a map & his phone battery was dead. HA! Easy money!
Orion does not work on split routes or combined routes at all. Easy money though.

ManInBrown

This is going to be a complete cluster:censored3: when it hits my building. I just know it.

Bid driver with less then 5 years seniority. Route cut almost every Monday. I guess I'm definitely being converted to a T-S gig. So pissed

ManInBrown

Mondays & Fridays are horrendous. Multiple routes dispatched with 12+ hours. Some with 14.
Why are Fridays horrendous? I can understand there stupid little plan making Mondays horrible, but why would it make Friday's horrible? Are they holding volume for Saturday and not dispatching all work Friday?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Why are Fridays horrendous? I can understand there stupid little plan making Mondays horrible, but why would it make Friday's horrible? Are they holding volume for Saturday and not dispatching all work Friday?

Because they know most not all will go a little harder because it's Friday and a lot of folks have things to do on Friday nights
Heard it from a center manager many years ago

JL 0513

Do you really think David Abney woke up one morning and decided that we needed to start delivering ground on Saturdays? Of course not-----a lot of planning went in to this before the test markets rolled it out.

Much like any other new service offering, it will take some time to work out the kinks and we will lose money in the interim but, over the long run, it will prove to be beneficial for all involved.

I'm not even talking about early kinks. The added costs will remain even when everything is rolling as well as it can be.

Even when we earn more business, we still won't be anywhere as efficient as a 5 day operation. Fact of the matter is UPS will be driving many millions more redundant miles each year. Every corner of the country has to get covered in total for 6 days. Yet, 6 full days of volume will never be there. I don't see how this setup can ever become worth it to the bottom line. It actually concerns me that UPS won't maintain their healthy profit levels.

I'm not even talking about early kinks. The added costs will remain even when everything is rolling as well as it can be.

Even when we earn more business, we still won't be anywhere as efficient as a 5 day operation. Fact of the matter is UPS will be driving many millions more redundant miles each year. Every corner of the country has to get covered in total for 6 days. Yet, 6 full days of volume will never be there. I don't see how this setup can ever become worth it to the bottom line. It actually concerns me that UPS won't maintain their healthy profit levels.
So is it more efficient to idle all of UPS vehicles and sorting facilities and employees two days out of the week? If we are working, UPS is making money.

ManInBrown

Not me, and they know it.
So I am one of the few who don't get buried on Fridays.
Same here. Single. No kids. I got nowhere to go on Friday, that I can't just go on Saturday. Until this Saturday ground starts at least. LOL. I get more tired as each day passes. By Friday I'm sucking wind. You bury me on Friday, I'll kick you in the nuts deep into the night