U.S. Central Region to be consolidated (UPSers.com)

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember in 1994 predicting that with the advent of technology, UPS would do away with the Region level.
Others scoffed at my prediction but ...
Almost there.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's why he makes the big money. He should head to the horse races with his ability to predict the future.

I tried horse races.
Boring plus there is not a long-term logic to it.
I like to think of myself as an amateur futurist ... at least I did 20 years ago.

I also predicted that the future of technology (circa 1996) would be affected by non-productivity related desires of the public.
This was right after we lost a ley programmer to Nintendo. Everyone else thought he was crazy.
I did not foresee "Angry Birds" though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know this doesn't directly affect me, I am just wondering if this will affect other aspects and other teamster jobs. This is what I'm asking.

A butterfly flaps it's wings at the equator and cause a hurricane.

No direct effect but everything is interrelated.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think u mean his ability to be in the present and tell u he knew the present was going to happen 20 years ago.

So in your cynical little head, anybody that remembers something in the past and relates it to the present is a liar?

I have witnesses and these predictions of mine in the past about the future is the primary reason I would up in Corporate with a cushy technology job. :wink2:

Maybe cynical was too kind ... but the little was dead on. :happy-very:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think u mean his ability to be in the present and tell u he knew the present was going to happen 20 years ago.

So in your cynical little head, anybody that remembers something in the past and relates it to the present is a liar?

I have witnesses and these predictions of mine in the past about the future is the primary reason I would up in Corporate with a cushy technology job. :wink2:

Maybe cynical was too kind ... but the little was dead on. :happy-very:

I had a response but then I realized you've all ready seen all the possibilities so I give up.....

Kae3106

We saw this today and were getting mixed answers as to if this was effective April 1 or July 1. The UPSers post says April 1 but various financial and systems people were telling us July 1. This type of a restructuring has a massive impact on my day to day activities and if it's April 1, we're in trouble. Does anyone know for sure? Usually we have lots of advance notice on this type of thing but this took everyone in my office by surprise.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
We saw this today and were getting mixed answers as to if this was effective April 1 or July 1. The UPSers post says April 1 but various financial and systems people were telling us July 1. This type of a restructuring has a massive impact on my day to day activities and if it's April 1, we're in trouble. Does anyone know for sure? Usually we have lots of advance notice on this type of thing but this took everyone in my office by surprise.

This will be an interesting summer.

July 1st - collapse a region

Aug 1st - contract expires

.....:smart::smart:

BrownSuit

So what exactly does this mean??? Teamsters lose jobs??? Management lose jobs?? Can someone explain?

It means management positions are being eliminated, but not specifically anybody losing their job. The jobs will likely be eliminated through attrition and retirements, much similar to the district consolidations, which do go into effect April 1, which are referenced in the post below. There are not as many people as you would believe in a "Region" office these days and I am in agreement with Hoax that we will eventually eliminate the need for Regions, most likely after D. Scott retires.

This is the district consolidations (Central Cal, Gulf South, New Jersey), not the Region Consolidation that is going into place April 1st.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
It means management positions are being eliminated, but not specifically anybody losing their job. The jobs will likely be eliminated through attrition and retirements, much similar to the district consolidations, which do go into effect April 1, which are referenced in the post below. There are not as many people as you would believe in a "Region" office these days and I am in agreement with Hoax that we will eventually eliminate the need for Regions, most likely after D. Scott retires.

This is the district consolidations (Central Cal, Gulf South, New Jersey), not the Region Consolidation that is going into place April 1st.

The article on UPSers says that the districts report to their new regions on April 1. Where does the July date come from?