U.S. Savings bonds

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by wage EARNER, Dec 30, 2014.

1. wage EARNER

wage EARNER Member

About half-way though Art 3 Sect 3 of the Master it says,"On written request of the employee, payroll deductions will be made to purchase U.S. Savings Bonds for said employee."

It seems a quirky thing to put in, and I realize there are a lot of hold-overs from way-back-when. Does anyone do this?

2. They dont even issue paper bonds anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

I guess they could deposit into your bond account like any other direct deposit.

I have never heard of anyone doing this.

4. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Currently paying a whopping .10%. Good way to double your money in 720 years.

5. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

That is the Series I bonds, Series E(E) doubles in 20 years, I believe.

6. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

Correct.

7. rod

rod retired and happy

We paid for my Daughters wedding with savings bonds my wife had taken out of her work check. Could we have done better putting that money in the market? Probably--- but at the time it was a payroll deduction that was outa sight outa mind and it served its purpose. Also at that time I was having a whopping 6 bucks a week (maximum allowed) taken out of my check and put into the UPS Thrift Plan which was paying off at around anywhere from 15% to22% a year. When they finally shut down the Thrift Plan I had almost 70 thou in it.