Ulitity Mechanic-New Hire

Mirik

Hey guys, just got hired as a utility mechanic. The process was long and took about three months. Any tips for me? Anyone else with my position out there? haha I dont see anyone else with that title.

upschuck

Welcome to BC, and to UPS. What does a utility mechanic do? Assume you have no cars/trucks assigned to you, and help out mechanics that are backlogged. Do you have a set work schedule?

Mirik

Thanks! So my job is to help out in the shop. Order/stock inventory, pick up and drop off parts, clean and organize the shop. I have a 40 hour set schedule. Not sure how much I will actually be working on the trucks if any.

Gear

Parts on Order
What union are you in? Teamsters or IAM? What kind of shop? Tractor? Package Cars? Or both?

Sounds like you might have one of the best full time jobs at UPS.

Mirik

What union are you in? Teamsters or IAM? What kind of shop? Tractor? Package Cars? Or both?

Sounds like you might have one of the best full time jobs at UPS.
O really why do you say that??
I believe we are part of the IAM, there will be both tractor and package cars. The shop is pretty big is in its own building away from the packages. I will be starting in a week so we shall see how it goes.

Mirik

Playing "go-fer" @ $30/hr? Where do I sign up?

You see thats where I am confused myself. I was told during my interview that I start at 16/hour and top off at 23/hour after 2 years. A friend said that after three years I will get top rate and be 30+ but why wouldnt they tell me that during the interview?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You see thats where I am confused myself. I was told during my interview that I start at 16/hour and top off at 23/hour after 2 years. A friend said that after three years I will get top rate and be 30+ but why wouldnt they tell me that during the interview?

The progression may be different for mechanics.

Gear

Parts on Order
Progression
Auto mechanic, Painter, Body Repairman and Maintenance (PE). All 2 years. Top rate $34.75

Trailer Mechanic 1 year. Top rate 29.63

I've never heard of your position, but that doesn't mean anything. As far as your pay goes, expect what they told you in the interview. Once you start working, the other guys will set it straight. You'll receive what the contracts states. I don't see utility mechanic in my IAM contract, but once again, that doesn't mean anything. You're probably in a different district. Good luck to you.

Isac Martinez

I've been working as a part time utility mechanic for 3 years now started off at 12 and hour and after 3 years I'm only at 14 an hour they don't wanna give me full time and they want me to do pm's on the forklifts and still keep up with parts stock cleaning and all the other duties of my position I just recently told them I'm not doing any mechanic work until I have a mechanic position. Anybody have any tips or suggestions of other things I could do
Thanks.