UNCLE SCROOGE-UPS forcing package drivers SUNDAY DEC 21

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Does anyone know the answers to my original questions?...
1 By what date do they need to inform us we are forced to work?
2 What is the penalty for the first no-call, no-show of my career... A warning letter?
24 hours I believe and a warning letter possibly.

O

OLDMAN3

Stu said prob no paper...he wasn't sure.:pouting:
I actually have saved my warning letters over the years and will be using them for a collage at my retirement party, could have used one more...

O

OLDMAN3

30 years and you are just now asking those questions?
I never had a no-call no-show in those 30 years, so I don't know how it is usually handled...My Steward wasn't even 100% sure.
UPS has never tried to force a Package Car driver on Sunday in those 30 years, so how would I know how much notice is required?

Future

Victory Ride
I never had a no-call no-show in those 30 years, so I don't know how it is usually handled...My Steward wasn't even 100% sure.
UPS has never tried to force a Package Car driver on Sunday in those 30 years, so how would I know how much notice is required?
Believe it or not I am pretty sure you are allowed 1-2 no call no shows a year without any discipline including a warning letter......they probably will try to come at you in "legal ways" though after the no call no show.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Something to consider.
However, I am questioning the moral legitimacy of UPS's authority to force me to work a Sunday when past practice for over 30 years has been to never force package to work Sunday. If indeed the necessity of forcing work on Sunday can not morally justified, my moral obligation to notify them would be negated.

I am not worried in the least about a warning letter. And any work not completed Sunday would just roll to Monday when it sould have been done anyway.

Still sorting it all out.
UPS has always had the contractual right to operate on a Sunday, subject to dispatch rules that require the work to first be offered in seniority order and then forced in reverse seniority order.

By choosing to accept employment at UPS, you agreed that your wages and benefits and working conditions would be defined by that contract.

Per that contract, you are required to inform the company in a timely manner if you are not able or willing to report to work on a day where you are scheduled on the dispatch.

From a moral standpoint..... I would say that if you are going to enjoy the benefits of a labor agreement you have an obligation to live up to the responsibilities of that agreement as well.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Sober is right. We may not like it, in fact I despise the idea of working a Sunday, but the company can force us to work any day except for Labor Day. Hopefully it won't be necessary to work on Sunday and it is just an out in case of bad weather.

Z

ZQXC

All of this grief, because so many people mistakenly believe that happiness comes from acquiring more and more Chinese crap.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sober is right. We may not like it, in fact I despise the idea of working a Sunday, but the company can force us to work any day except for Labor Day. Hopefully it won't be necessary to work on Sunday and it is just an out in case of bad weather.

I don't think this is just in case of bad weather as the extended national forecast does not show any major weather issues through the 25th. I think they are doing this to try to take the edge of the 22nd.

One of the questions I have is if I go in and run a bunch of residentials will they try to give me an add/cut for areas that were not delivered that day? To me that would that defeat the purpose of my having worked.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We are not being forced. Strictly volunteer only. We are being told it's straight time but I am calling shenanigans. I looked for my union book last night but it wasn't where i usually keep it.
Stuart doesn't know sure. Ill find it though.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I haven't heard anything like this so much as mentioned where I'm at. Is this something being discussed nationwide or only at certain centers?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Does anyone know the answers to my original questions?...
1 By what date do they need to inform us we are forced to work?
2 What is the penalty for the first no-call, no-show of my career... A warning letter?
A driver in my center was denied a vacation request. He no call/no showed three straight days. He claims we can get away with that per contract and still is delivering packages. Instead of Sunday we may be starting at 6:30 am Monday.

UPS4Life

My work schedule this peak is Sun-Thurs, what's the big deal?
Because you chose that schedule where Morion did not. He's worked here 30 some years never worked a Sunday and doesn't plan to start now. I took work Sundays but that is by my choice.

I thought that you could claim religion and there was nothing they could do about forcing you to work on a Sunday. When I say claim I don't mean lie I mean inform them due to your religious beliefs you will not be working on Sunday.

Sent using BrownCafe App

laffter

We are not being forced. Strictly volunteer only. We are being told it's straight time but I am calling shenanigans. I looked for my union book last night but it wasn't where i usually keep it.
Stuart doesn't know sure. Ill find it though.

If you work on a Sunday, you are paid your regular rate. However, if you also work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, Friday will be your sixth "punch" and paid at overtime.