UNCLE SCROOGE-UPS forcing package drivers SUNDAY DEC 21

I don't see how it will help enough with volume on Monday to make it worth the hassle at my center.

Businesses will be closed and the residentials I deliver will be the same people who get more crap on Monday.

I will just have two Amazon packages for them Sunday and two for them Monday.
Could get much more done on saturday. Many of my businesses are open

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Would it be so hard to make double, triple time or whatever you UPS guys get?
Actually Yes, its pretty hard. Its 7 days in a row of work, and its not an office job. Its very physical to yank, pull, drag, lift and carry 7 days in a row. Also us guys do not get an extended holiday for, Christmas, Thanksgiving, or Easter. So far we get the day of, and that be it.
It all comes back to....are you ready for this....."well you make $$ per hour, therefore, you should never be cranky, tired, cold, hot, hungry, aching, and you should never ever not want to work because you are making big bucks" We are such losers.

ManInBrown

Haven't heard a peep about the 21st here. Routes have been so light this year compared to last so far, I would be shocked if we had to work that Sunday. Consistently been dispatched with 50-70 less stops per day from last peak

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I don't see how it will help enough with volume on Monday to make it worth the hassle at my center.

Businesses will be closed and the residentials I deliver will be the same people who get more crap on Monday.

I will just have two Amazon packages for them Sunday and two for them Monday.

The corporate places that get bulk will be open.

Dumping half the packages for a resi on Sunday that they would have gotten on Monday means less pieces on monday. 200 stops with 200 pieces is easier than 200 stops with 400 pieces.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I refuse to give up my free weekends. You'll be delivering my stuff.

Hear, hear!

90% of my route is closed on Saturday and Sunday. I'll be dipped in šhì+ if I'm going to come in and deliver other peoples work so they can enjoy an 8-and-skate on Monday while it's December business as usual for me.

Earlier this week, the center manager actually had the sand to ask me if I wanted to help others who were on the list to work Saturday so as to save as many DOT hours as possible for them. I promptly told him to piss off, and that if guys wanted to earn the big bucks for easy work on Saturday, they'll just have to work faster Monday through Friday.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
One of the questions I have is if I go in and run a bunch of residentials will they try to give me an add/cut for areas that were not delivered that day? To me that would that defeat the purpose of my having worked.

I doubt you will be able to pick and choose what you do on Monday.

ChrisTheBrown

I have a question regarding this..In my center, lowest seniority drivers are forced to work this day, & there's a voluntary sign-up for any of the veterans that would like to work it. I, however, am at just about the bottom of the list when it comes to seniority. I work another job on Saturday & Sunday, just wonder if they'd accept that as an excuse for me not working, assuming that I was needed to work on the 21st.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Just talked to a guy from my loop that worked today. Not a single package was rolled out of the building for our town. He's down in the sticks delivering packages in a town where they stick the burn-outs and rookies.

I called that one.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The corporate places that get bulk will be open.

Dumping half the packages for a resi on Sunday that they would have gotten on Monday means less pieces on monday. 200 stops with 200 pieces is easier than 200 stops with 400 pieces.
Rather be off on a sunday and have those 200 stops and 400 pieces on a monday. The importance of a whole days rest is priceless instead of working 6 days straight, you can let me know how that works out for ya lol.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I have a question regarding this..In my center, lowest seniority drivers are forced to work this day, & there's a voluntary sign-up for any of the veterans that would like to work it. I, however, am at just about the bottom of the list when it comes to seniority. I work another job on Saturday & Sunday, just wonder if they'd accept that as an excuse for me not working, assuming that I was needed to work on the 21st.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I also have another job on the weekend. Nothing's been said yet about working Saturdays or Sundays, but if it comes up, I'd likely call in at the other job and burn some sick time.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
With the national weather forecast to be slightly warmer than normal and, most importantly, dry, coupled with the fact that in many locations, volume has been below projections... I'd be surprised if a full sort was needed that day. I'm sure there will be a few exceptions....

Notretiredyet

Sent using BrownCafe App
Chris watch your hours that second job could easily put you in DOT violation this time of year.

ChrisTheBrown

Seriously?...It's a security job at an insurance company..Why would the DOT rules have anything to do with that..I may need to refresh myself with those anyway, but yeah, I normally work 07:00-15:00 on Saturday & 15:00-23:00 on Sunday.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Seriously?...It's a security job at an insurance company..Why would the DOT rules have anything to do with that..I may need to refresh myself with those anyway, but yeah, I normally work 07:00-15:00 on Saturday & 15:00-23:00 on Sunday.

Sent using BrownCafe App
All jobs count. If you're not getting rest you get fatigued and can hurt people.

rod

Retired 22 years

Sent using BrownCafe App

All work and no play will make ChrisTheBrown a .......................

ChrisTheBrown

All jobs count. If you're not getting rest you get fatigued and can hurt people.

I've been doing this all along, since I got hired in as a part time preloader in June 2013. I always get enough rest, never have had any issues whatsoever while working preload or driving. I understand what you're saying, though. I need to keep my weekend job though, for when I go back to working preload on a PT regular Mon-Fri basis.

Sent using BrownCafe App

ChrisTheBrown

I've been doing this all along, since I got hired in as a part time preloader in June 2013. I always get enough rest, never have had any issues whatsoever while working preload or driving. I understand what you're saying, though. I need to keep my weekend job though, for when I go back to working preload on a PT regular Mon-Fri basis.

Sent using BrownCafe App

& if they don't like it, well, too bad. I've got to make a living.

Sent using BrownCafe App

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
So you're working 16 hours on the weekends? That means you can only work 44 hours at UPS.

& if they don't like it, well, too bad. I've got to make a living.
How does a $1,000-$10,000 fine sound to ya, Buddy? That's what the DOT fines you for violating their federal guidelines. If you don't like it, well, too bad. It's the law.
BTW, what's your start time on Mondays? If it's before 9am, then you're violating the 10 hours off between shifts rule also.

Johney

So you're working 16 hours on the weekends? That means you can only work 44 hours at UPS.

How does a $1,000-$10,000 fine sound to ya, Buddy? That's what the DOT fines you for violating their federal guidelines. If you don't like it, well, too bad. It's the law.
BTW, what's your start time on Mondays? If it's before 9am, then you're violating the 10 hours off between shifts rule also.
How are they going to know?