Undercover Boss

airbusfxr

I wish Scott would go undercover and see how the troops really operate. Davis, coming from an airline, has no package experience and would be a great person for this new TV special. The guy from WM is shown in the previews and after he provides service from the troops view he changes his ways. It is nice to see someone, like a grade 20, to actually see how the workers go the extra steps to make sure our company keeps their wallets full.

bad company

semi-pro
Watching the show now. I think Scott Davis and/or any of our management committee members would be in shock and awe of how things are actually run in operations.
Kudos to the WM CEO for having the balls and humility to do such a thing. Not even half way into the show, and he's already realized how screwed up things are... like docking employees 2 minutes of pay for every 1 minute of lunch they go over, LMAO.

bad company

semi-pro
This is way too much like UPS...

CEO realizes that he's created an unrealistic productivity goal which diminishes customer-employee relations, demoralizes employee moral, and is upset about how drivers are constantly spied on by route supervisors. CEO was also surprised that drivers were urinating in cans and bottles to avoid being harassed about productivity standards due to having to stop or break off trace to find a suitable restroom.

Scott Davis... grow some balls and go undercover like the CEO of Waste Management. Walk the walk.... then see if you still talk the same bull**** talk.

SmithBarney

Wow... I like this show.. just send a copy of the show to corporate.

I couldn't imagine what UPS would do... although I'd love to see the "trainee"

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
I agree with some of the comments. I think our upper mgt would be horrified at the way they're making us treat people to get the results they want.

This show is typical though, the exec and hourly folks look like heroes, and middle mgt look like heels. It would end up the same way if done at UPS.

TheDick

I'm callin shenanigans. Somethings seemed a tiny bit fake or staged. I'm talkin teeny tiny bit. Call me a skeptic. Great show tho. COO who does that guys job at UPS?
Imagine an road sup training the COO his first day?
OUCH

bad company

semi-pro
David Abney is our COO. Myron Gray is SVP of US Operations. They both started out as pt hourly employees. But since Scott Davis didn't start out his career at UPS, and he's the one responsible for all the changes in structure and a concentration on P&L (which I think is a good thing), I think he'd be the best candidate.

They could never pull off something like this at UPS though. Too many management people would blow the cover to save their asses. Just like how Keter Audits never seem to suprise any one...

whiskey

lets write to the show and have them put pressure on our ceo to do the show

The show sounds like the perfect paradigm for either Jim Hoffa or Scott Davis. Through them both in a 53 footer and scream obscenities at them when their combined unload rate dips below 2000.

Raw

Raw Member
I agree with some of the comments. I think our upper mgt would be horrified at the way they're making us treat people to get the results they want.

This show is typical though, the exec and hourly folks look like heroes, and middle mgt look like heels. It would end up the same way if done at UPS.
The way " they`er making you treat us " . Why won`t you stand up for yourself and not treat people unfair? Are you a coward or just step on people to benefit yourself? You make yourself look like a "heel" , if you grew a pair you can make yourself look like a hero! Do what you need to do if you must, bottom line UPS will throw you out when their finished with you, in my over 20 years my center has gone through between 1 -5 center manager`s each and every year while the drivers remain! :dissapointed:

brownrod

I saw this show. It was great. It made me wish I had scott with me on peak day. Over 300 stops on a partially rural route. I had to bust out some old school methods, if you know what I mean, in order to get the work done. Our management needs to see how things are really done.

NHDRVR

The higher-ups are so disconnected with the drivers that they don't understand anymore what we actually 'do' every day. I do think a number of them would actually show some concern, as WM's COO did, but let's be real. This monster that we work for isn't controlled by the ones closest to the people making the money for the company.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
David Abney is our COO. Myron Gray is SVP of US Operations. They both started out as pt hourly employees. But since Scott Davis didn't start out his career at UPS, and he's the one responsible for all the changes in structure and a concentration on P&L (which I think is a good thing), I think he'd be the best candidate.

They could never pull off something like this at UPS though. Too many management people would blow the cover to save their asses. Just like how Keter Audits never seem to suprise any one...

Dave Abney was our District Manager at one time a first rate *** no personality whatsoever and he would NEVER in a million years EVER agree to so humble himself to our level believe me!! He's one piece of work

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
The way " they`er making you treat us " . Why won`t you stand up for yourself and not treat people unfair? Are you a coward or just step on people to benefit yourself? You make yourself look like a "heel" , if you grew a pair you can make yourself look like a hero! Do what you need to do if you must, bottom line UPS will throw you out when their finished with you, in my over 20 years my center has gone through between 1 -5 center manager`s each and every year while the drivers remain! :dissapointed:

I'm not looking to be a hero. My goal is to do a good job, treat people right, make a living, and enjoy my family and hobbies. My point was that some of the decisions that roll down from above have a negative impact on people. Take the arbitrary SPC mandates for example. I'm required to increase SPC over last year by an arbitrary number. This means cutting routes and adding work to the others. This is a mandate from corporate, communicated to me by my manager. It's very clear that it is not optional. I try to level the loads off as best I can but it inevitably increases the paid day on some drivers and they don't appreciate it. I don't like it any more than they do. You tell me - how does a person "with a pair" like yourself suggest I handle this?

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm not looking to be a hero. My goal is to do a good job, treat people right, make a living, and enjoy my family and hobbies. My point was that some of the decisions that roll down from above have a negative impact on people. Take the arbitrary SPC mandates for example. I'm required to increase SPC over last year by an arbitrary number. This means cutting routes and adding work to the others. This is a mandate from corporate, communicated to me by my manager. It's very clear that it is not optional. I try to level the loads off as best I can but it inevitably increases the paid day on some drivers and they don't appreciate it. I don't like it any more than they do. You tell me - how does a person "with a pair" like yourself suggest I handle this?
Pay these drivers triple time for going over 9.5! Tell each and every driver to use their 2 8 hour requests every month and file if they dont get honored. Ran in to the same BS in my center last year, and we filed and filed and filed. Over 40 8 hour violations and probably somewhere around $30,000 in 9.5 grievances. That is not including the sup working grievances and other grievances that result in money. Asof last week we now have a new route tha is going up for bid to help out with the 9.5s. Everything takes time and people ge frustrated, but in the end good always trumps evil.lol

Dragon

Package Center Manager

Same thing has happened here. I refuse to have supervisors working period. I have just increased all my drivers paychecks by at least $500 a month.