Undercover Boss

NHDRVR

I wish Scott would go undercover and see how the troops really operate. Davis, coming from an airline, has no package experience and would be a great person for this new TV special. The guy from WM is shown in the previews and after he provides service from the troops view he changes his ways. It is nice to see someone, like a grade 20, to actually see how the workers go the extra steps to make sure our company keeps their wallets full.

He would soil himself...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I watched last night's show and was very impressed. The CEO took the time to get to know his new co-workers, took action when one of his stores had maintenance issues and his own maintenance hotline, although polite, was less than responsive and was dismayed to learn that food which should have gone to a local charity was thrown out and that one of his employees felt that there was no room for advancement within the company. I do think that you will see constructive change as a result of what he saw while "in the trenches".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I forgot to add that I felt that there was a disconnect between perception and reality on the part of the Board of Directors, who seemed genuinely surprised by what the CEO relayed to them.

All Day

I really don't think having the boss go out into the field to check on things is all that bad of a plan....... his eyeballs in the field have been replaced with reports, reports, reports...

Last edited:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Personally, I think it would be a great thing to see the top 20 execs go out into the field at least once a year. Totally un-announced. Just show up at 7AM to be able to see the preload, then go out with the most overallowed driver in the center. And if possible, the longest paid day driver as well.

Or as has been suggested, to go out with a training sup, and the over/under results posted for all to see. Of course he needs to be the one that delivers every package every step of the way.

d

j13501

I worked in a district over 20 years ago when the new district manager decided to do an "undercover boss" in the night sort of the hub. He put his browns on, and started walking around the hub. Being new, no one knew who his was, just assumed he was a feeder driver from another location. He asked many questions of the hub employees, and spent some time in the damaged package area.

I guess he didn't like the answers to the questions, because the next day was very uncomfortable for the hub division manager when he came to work!

Just_another_day_at_work

The only thing that I don't like about the undercover boss is it's kind of impossible to make it realistic situation while someone is taping you with a camera. But it is a nice thought to bring the viewers into operations.

airbusfxr

Tonights show was Churchhill Downs a few miles from Worldport. I would love to see Scott Davis and his crew come to Worldport and look around. He has never delivered one package or flew one plane but he is running the whole show. Scott makes 5 times more than Jim Kelley ever made and is making every UPS company wonder which ones will be cut back even more. NDA and Int volume has topped the Quarterly results and without these UPS would actually be losing money. We are paying Grade 20s alot of money but only the air side is growing, when will they step down and let someone more involved run UPS.

evildoer

I wish Scott would go undercover and see how the troops really operate. Davis, coming from an airline, has no package experience and would be a great person for this new TV special. The guy from WM is shown in the previews and after he provides service from the troops view he changes his ways. It is nice to see someone, like a grade 20, to actually see how the workers go the extra steps to make sure our company keeps their wallets full.

UPS is the type of company that would view this show as negative publicity for them. They only like publicity about their company in a very controlled setting. If they did go on this show it would be rigged -- manager driving the truck with 10 stops thrown on the lower shelves. They like keeping up the image that they clean their trucks daily, treat their employees with dignity and respect, provide a healthy work environment, etc. The truth of the matter is that corporate UPS hates everyone in the company besides themselves, everyone is overpaid, keeping the stock down and stealing from the company except for them. If you are being treated bad as a union employee chances are the person treating you bad gets treated 5x worse by his superior and so on and so forth up the ladder. Imagine how much contempt and hatred is spewing out of Atlanta for it to reach the operations level and have the kind of effect on moral it does.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Tonights show was Churchhill Downs a few miles from Worldport. I would love to see Scott Davis and his crew come to Worldport and look around. He has never delivered one package or flew one plane but he is running the whole show. Scott makes 5 times more than Jim Kelley ever made and is making every UPS company wonder which ones will be cut back even more. NDA and Int volume has topped the Quarterly results and without these UPS would actually be losing money. We are paying Grade 20s alot of money but only the air side is growing, when will they step down and let someone more involved run UPS.

I am really curious as to how you know so much about everything.
This is a legitimate question to you.
No matter what the subject, you have "insider knowledge".
One other question. Do you see yourself as an Employee or a Partner in this company? There IS a difference.
You have posted numerous times about how you should get more "because the comapny is profitable".
I am really interested in your logic here.
Do you have an opinion about the realignment of the Regions?
By the way, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder about your OPL shares. Did anyone guarentee you that investment was "risk free"? I got hammered just like you, but I don't think UPS owes me anything for it.

ups clerk

lets write to the show and have them put pressure on our ceo to do the show

I got a better idea. Let's all (hourlies) write a letter to Scott Davis, suggesting he go on the show. When he gets several hundred thousand letters dropped in his office, hopefully he will get the hint to either go on the show or realize there is a reason why we wrote him the letters in that maybe he needs to step back, get all his district managers together and ask them what in the hell is going on?