Unemployment Benefits for Peak Drivers?

brownrecluse

Forgive me if this is a ridiculous post...

I was recently hired as a full time seasonal package driver, and went to school the week of 10/29 - 11/02 (paid). My center did not use me at all this past week 11/05 - 11/09 as the volume's not there to justify it.

Question... can I file for unemployment benefits for time in which I am not utilized?

F

Fozzy

If you file, I bet they won't use you at all as a peak driver!! End of story

VTBrown

Wrong, you can file for it and should.

I tell EVERY seasonal driver in my center who is hired, sent to school then absolutely screwed with for the next 4 weeks to file.

EVERY single one of them gets their benefits.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree with VTBROWN, if you had worked somewhere before. I believe you have to have so many weeks in to get it, like 32, I think.

rod

Retired 22 years
it sure won't hurt to file- we all know the government does some strange things when it comes to $$$$$$. I agree though that you will be kissing your UPS experience good-bye. It's always amazed me how UPS promises seasonal employees the world and then leaves them hanging in never never land.

VTBrown

If you file, I bet they won't use you at all as a peak driver!! End of story

Don't be stupid.

First of all UPS will not be paying his unemployment benefits. It will be built up from a previous employer.

Second, how much money did UPS just invest in schooling? They are not going to put him along on his way because he wants to file for benefits.

It's the same when they offer alternate work on a sort. If your not making the $14.70 you were hired at for 40 hours a week you can and should file.

So if they are giving you $8.50 on the preload for 20 hours a week....you file for the difference.

brownrecluse

Some $ for the week of no work would certainly be nice... but I absolutely do not want to ruin my opportunity with UPS - especially since I have long-term employment goals.

brownrecluse

I have many years of previous employment history, and I have not filed for unemployment benefits since the late 80's. But - I voluntarily left my last employer. I guess they could fight my claim.

VTBrown

UPS is not going to think less of you for filing. It has zero to initially do with them.

Do they expect seasonal drivers to lose their vehicles, houses, starve their families and destroy their credit while they get jerked around with hours?

No...they don't.

brownrecluse

UPS is not going to think less of you for filing. It has zero to initially do with them.

Do they expect seasonal drivers to lose their vehicles, houses, starve their families and destroy their credit while they get jerked around with hours?

No...they don't.
Thanks VT. I appreciate your comments.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have many years of previous employment history, and I have not filed for unemployment benefits since the late 80's. But - I voluntarily left my last employer. I guess they could fight my claim.
Ups wont care or know, and unless your previous employer whom you left voluntarily offers you a job, you should get it for weeks not working. Now if you work 1 or 2 days it will nix your unemployment, but thats what its for. AS long as you worked for the benefit you should take it. Lord knows people who never worked get benefits, why shouldnt someone who actually worked? JMHO

Shadow999

29 years ago I was hired during Christmas time. When I was laid off I was told I could not collect unemployment benifits because it was seasonal. I filed. UPS protested. I collected...I also was hired back after 4 months of unemployment.

VTBrown

Ups wont care or know, and unless your previous employer whom you left voluntarily offers you a job, you should get it for weeks not working. Now if you work 1 or 2 days it will nix your unemployment, but thats what its for. AS long as you worked for the benefit you should take it. Lord knows people who never worked get benefits, why shouldnt someone who actually worked? JMHO

Wrong..it will not nix his unemployment. When you are offered work you take it and when you call in your unemployment you report the hours and wage you made for the week.

If it still falls under your current benefit level you get what is left over.

I was a summer seasonal that was hired on. Went through the crap off working 1 or two days a week. I finally explained to them I couldn't live that way. Explained to them I was going to file unemployment, would still work what ever was offered and by reporting my hours and wages it was really minimal that UPS would be on the hook.

Local HR and management understood and had absolutely no problem...and here I am now almost 5 years later as a driver - telling you it's okay.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wrong..it will not nix his unemployment. When you are offered work you take it and when you call in your unemployment you report the hours and wage you made for the week.

If it still falls under your current benefit level you get what is left over.

I was a summer seasonal that was hired on. Went through the crap off working 1 or two days a week. I finally explained to them I couldn't live that way. Explained to them I was going to file unemployment, would still work what ever was offered and by reporting my hours and wages it was really minimal that UPS would be on the hook.

Local HR and management understood and had absolutely no problem...and here I am now almost 5 years later as a driver - telling you it's okay.
You are correct, I meant it would nix his unemployment benefit for that week, usually if you work 2 days it does, you stated it correctly, I made it look like it knocked him out for good, my faux pas.:peaceful: