unemployment for cover drivers

John38

In my building laid off cover drivers often file for a partial unemployment claim. But being a newer cover driver I have a lot of unanswered questions such as how does it work with your benefits? i currently work the local sort usually from 4-8pm but it isnt enough to make ends meet. So by opening up a claim to make up for what im not making on lack of driving and working local sort roughly 20 hours a week. Is that enough to keep my benefits?

Faceplanted

No where does it say your full time unless your supplement is diff from mine. Our cover drivers are part time. If you are a part time employee. Ups guarantees you 3.5hr a day.

You cover drive knowing what u were getting into, idk how it's fair that you guys get a check from the gov if you are only part time.

542thruNthru

In my building laid off cover drivers often file for a partial unemployment claim. But being a newer cover driver I have a lot of unanswered questions such as how does it work with your benefits? i currently work the local sort usually from 4-8pm but it isnt enough to make ends meet. So by opening up a claim to make up for what im not making on lack of driving and working local sort roughly 20 hours a week. Is that enough to keep my benefits?

I don't know your local but here it has no effect on our benefits. It also depended on how many hours you have been working and for how long. We have cover drivers work pretty much fulltime for years and then out of no where get sent back in the hub for a few months.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know your local but here it has no effect on our benefits. It also depended on how many hours you have been working and for how long. We have cover drivers work pretty much fulltime for years and then out of no where get sent back in the hub for a few months.

Back when I was a casual (1989) we had to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter so, yes, it does have an effect on our benefits.

542thruNthru

Back when I was a casual (1989) we had to work 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter so, yes, it does have an effect on our benefits.

He said he works the 4-8 pm shift. He is applying for partial unemployment. So I don't see how that would effect the number of days he works.

Faceplanted

He said he works the 4-8 pm shift. He is applying for partial unemployment. So I don't see how that would effect the number of days he works.
I don't understand how he is partially unemployed. He is obviously a part time employee who is guaranteed 3.5hr. If he was a laid off full time employee he would be getting his guaranteed 8 in the hub. He is classified part time and doesn't deserve any more than that.

542thruNthru

I don't understand how he is partially unemployed. He is obviously a part time employee who is guaranteed 3.5hr. If he was a laid off full time employee he would be getting his guaranteed 8 in the hub. He is classified part time and doesn't deserve any more than that.

Don't know what to tell you. He can file for partial unemployment. They will subtract the amount he makes a week out of the amount they will give him. We have PT cover drivers that have been working ft for 5 or 6 years. A few just got sent back to the hub to work pt. They are filing.

Faceplanted

Don't know what to tell you. He can file for partial unemployment. They will subtract the amount he makes a week out of the amount they will give him. We have PT cover drivers that have been working ft for 5 or 6 years. A few just got sent back to the hub to work pt. They are filing.
Typical of the new America. Let's pay a part time employee free money because his job is giving him part time like what he signed up for.

I don't understand how it's fair for a part time worker to work work part time, and then still get my tax money

John38

Thank you! Well I did know what I was signing up for, especially looking to forward to my future but for the mean time I gave up two other jobs working local sort 4-8pm also to be on call every morning to see if I'm driving. I'm not gonna say it's impossible but very hard to find a job willing to work with my situation. Therefore a partial claim is my best bet givin the situation

Faceplanted

Trust me I have been in your exact shoes after 2 years of cover driving every day. I found a way to make it. Did some things I'm not proud of but I got the bills paid.

IMHO in your shoes you should have just waited to sign a full time bid sheet to be guarenteed your 40 hours. It's not uncle SAMs job to support your decision that at the current time was the wrong one. No disrespect just stating the truth. I have seen people who really need assistant not qualify for one reason or another so it kind of bothers me that people who are part time and work part time can get assistance.

John38

I respect where your coming from but thanks to good ole Uncle Sam I have the right to do so. No disrespect to you also but if it's available to me I fully expect to take advantage of it. In my building I have no shot at a full time but sheet not even an option at this point for me

John38

The way I was kind of explained of it was I'd be able to run my claim up to or just prior to next peak and would be able to reopen around April of 2017 should I be in the same situation. Hopefully not of course