Unemployment Question

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As opposed to getting another job and supporting yourself?

Are you actually suggesting that this kid get off his butt and take care of his own business rather than have everything handed to him on a silver platter? It's obvious that you are not part of Gen E (Generation Entitlement) in which today's kids want everything but don't want to do anything.

UPSGUY72

Are you a part-timer or full-timer ?

Unemployment benifits are different in each state. You might want to check with your unemployment office While your looking for another job to you get rehired.

LiL"Comet"

As opposed to getting another job and supporting yourself?

Are you actually suggesting that this kid get off his butt and take care of his own business rather than have everything handed to him on a silver platter? It's obvious that you are not part of Gen E (Generation Entitlement) in which today's kids want everything but don't want to do anything.

Wow you guys are so quick to jump on someone for asking a question isn't that the reason people come here to ask questions and get answers??

Maybe he is thinking he will get laid off and he is wondering how long he will have getting at least some form of pay before he gets nothing. To be able to go out and try to find a job, if you have seen the news in past 2 days unemployment continues to rise. There will be less and less jobs out there for people to get so the possibility of some setting at home getting a pay check will be a reality.:surprised:

"As I seen on another thread" I was always taught the same way if I have nothing nice to add don't say nothing at all....

Skirhustler sorry don't have an answer for you on this question but maybe someone will....

upsdude

Wow you guys are so quick to jump on someone for asking a question isn't that the reason people come here to ask questions and get answers??

Maybe he is thinking he will get laid off and he is wondering how long he will have getting at least some form of pay before he gets nothing. To be able to go out and try to find a job, if you have seen the news in past 2 days unemployment continues to rise. There will be less and less jobs out there for people to get so the possibility of some setting at home getting a pay check will be a reality.:surprised:

"As I seen on another thread" I was always taught the same way if I have nothing nice to add don't say nothing at all....

Skirhustler sorry don't have an answer for you on this question but maybe someone will....

There are jobs to be had out in the world. Go ahead and bash me but a person that wants to work can get work. McDonald's? Burger King? Always hiring. Myself and 1,199 other folks were laid off on a single day in 1986, defense contractor. I was washing cars the next day on a used car lot. A good friend of mine went to McDonalds. Of course I ended up at UPS, my friend is now an executive with a fast food chain. Flipping burgers worked out for him.

UpState nailed it, Gen E, gimmie gimmie gimmie!

rod

Retired 22 years
It used to be 26 weeks. Then after that you could apply for but usually not get another 26 weeks. When I got out of the service in 1970 I spent a whole summer partying on unemployment. Aw- those were the days:peaceful::peaceful:Then I got a job at UPS and reality struck. We did have to go the Employment Office every week and personally pick up our checks. If you were unlucky you got assigned to a part time crap temporary job for a day or two that screwed up your ck. Now days I believe they just send them to you so you don't even have to get dressed for the day if your feeling particularly lazy:sick: That's progress?

skir

Los Angeles CA
Fulltime route driver for 4 years 12 years with UPS. Wife and two daughters, just asking in case I can't get a job right away.

stringerman85

There are jobs to be had out in the world. Go ahead and bash me but a person that wants to work can get work. McDonald's? Burger King? Always hiring. Myself and 1,199 other folks were laid off on a single day in 1986, defense contractor. I was washing cars the next day on a used car lot. A good friend of mine went to McDonalds. Of course I ended up at UPS, my friend is now an executive with a fast food chain. Flipping burgers worked out for him.

UpState nailed it, Gen E, gimmie gimmie gimmie!

upsdude sounds like some ol' bastard that has nothing to worry about for himself, wish we all had high seniority eh

upsdude

upsdude sounds like some ol' bastard that has nothing to worry about for himself, wish we all had high seniority eh

Don’t you have a back up plan? You’re telling me if you lost your UPS job tomorrow you would remain unemployed?

As I said, go ahead and bash me, there are jobs out in the world. Do a lot of those jobs suck? You bet they do, but they’re better than nothing.

My age and seniority? Sorry, I have a birthday every year along with a UPS anniversary date. Perhaps you should file against your parents for late conception.

UPSGUY72

If your a full time route driver In my local you can bump partime perloaders and local sort.

You need to look at your local rider to the national contract for specifics on layoffs and bumping rights. But If your a driver your pretty safe. You might be working inside for a while but atleast you'll be still working and getting benifits.

Overpaid Union Thug

If your a full time route driver In my local you can bump partime perloaders and local sort.

You need to look at your local rider to the national contract for specifics on layoffs and bumping rights. But If your a driver your pretty safe. You might be working inside for a while but atleast you'll be still working and getting benifits.

That is cool but in my area we go back down to part-time pay after the seventh consecutive day of inside work. We never have the mass layoff in my center though. Management goes down the seniority list each day and asks people if they want the day off whenever we have too many drivers. If things get real bad after peak then we are going to try and make sure that each laid off driver gets a route at least once a week so their pay won't be affected.

skir

Los Angeles CA
anyone here from local 396 in Los Angeles. Wondering if we can work in the building if you get laid off, and if you can't do you lose your medical right away after you get laid off. That's my main concern.

helenofcalifornia

In my center, we have five drivers laid off. Four of them are working both the preload and local sort. One of them has your seniority (12 years) and is earning about $21 an hour. Your health benefits should be paid for as long as you get in your hours.

Good luck and don't worry too much. You will still be working for UPS in some capacity if laid off from driving.

coolio19ct

freshbrown
It does depend on which state you are in. In our state unemployment benefits last for 24 weeks and then you would have to file for an extension. You do have the option of bumping someone from local sort and forcing them to collect unemployment, but that would be horribly inconsiderate.