Unemployment Question

satellitedriver

If you get laid off how many months do you get paid. And how much money do you get Thx
I have no idea.
I have never been laid off or fired. (I have only quit jobs)
Since 1969, I have never missed a weeks worth of pay.
Many different jobs to get paid, but never have I applied for help to pay my bills.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It does depend on which state you are in. In our state unemployment benefits last for 24 weeks and then you would have to file for an extension. You do have the option of bumping someone from local sort and forcing them to collect unemployment, but that would be horribly inconsiderate.

Not to sound coldhearted, but if it came down to my earning a living or worrying about being "horribly inconsiderate" I would choose earning a living every day and twice on Sunday. It is called seniority and it sucks when you first start out but becomes your best friend as you get older.

stringerman85

Don’t you have a back up plan? You’re telling me if you lost your UPS job tomorrow you would remain unemployed?

As I said, go ahead and bash me, there are jobs out in the world. Do a lot of those jobs suck? You bet they do, but they’re better than nothing.

My age and seniority? Sorry, I have a birthday every year along with a UPS anniversary date. Perhaps you should file against your parents for late conception.

Just saying you got nothing to worry about....I'm sorry my backup plan didn't include mcdonalds's or burger king...gotta be kidding me dude, That's not much of a plan, in fact it's not a plan because it's something you could think of in 2 seconds

LiL"Comet"

There are jobs to be had out in the world. Go ahead and bash me but a person that wants to work can get work. McDonald's? Burger King? Always hiring. Myself and 1,199 other folks were laid off on a single day in 1986, defense contractor. I was washing cars the next day on a used car lot. A good friend of mine went to McDonalds. Of course I ended up at UPS, my friend is now an executive with a fast food chain. Flipping burgers worked out for him.

UpState nailed it, Gen E, gimmie gimmie gimmie!

Easy there who's bashing you?? In the post you were doing the bashing on someone that simply ask a question. Very simple

That's probably why he is asking questions to have a back=up plan.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Fulltime route driver for 4 years 12 years with UPS. Wife and two daughters, just asking in case I can't get a job right away.
Please bump two junior ptimers! you have two kids and a wife, you will not have medical benfits for them and if you decide on cobra im pretty sure unemployment does not pay enough to cover it.

McLeod

Fulltime route driver for 4 years 12 years with UPS. Wife and two daughters, just asking in case I can't get a job right away.
Contact your local unemployment office, in our state you can collect X amount of dollars per week and there is a set amount you can draw over x amount of time. I feel for you, have been there on layoff more than I thought I would be and back on it again. All we can do is hang in there and wait for those drivers to retire so we can get back in the saddle. It really scares me this time around cause volume is so light!!

rod

Retired 22 years
All we can do is hang in there and wait for those drivers to retire quote]

From what I'm seeing on BC and talking to fellow drivers that could retire, I would say more and more senior drivers that are elligable to retire - aren't- because of the economy.

McLeod

Looking over the contract I couldn't find how many days-or hours per month we need to work to keep our health insurance.......in the event if laidoff??? Does anyone know or direct me to the article in Master Agreement...thanks

705red

Browncafe Steward
if you have obtained seniority you would still maintain a ftime status, split shifting am and pm 4 hours each for 8 hours a day, but keep your medical and pension contributions

stringerman85

if you have obtained seniority you would still maintain a ftime status, split shifting am and pm 4 hours each for 8 hours a day, but keep your medical and pension contributions

there, thanks for the good advise for him :happy-very: ....and not telling him to go from friend/t UPS driving to low wage low hours drive-thru mcdonalds haha what crappy advise :happy-very:

upsdude

Just saying you got nothing to worry about....I'm sorry my backup plan didn't include mcdonalds's or burger king...gotta be kidding me dude, That's not much of a plan, in fact it's not a plan because it's something you could think of in 2 seconds

Read my post again, I never said my backup plan included Fast Food work. I merely gave an example in another post of work that is available for those that have none.

sano

If unemployment is not part of your backup plan, then i suppose social security is not part of your retirement plan.
Both are paid into while you are working in case you need them.

If unemployment is not part of your backup plan, then i suppose social security is not part of your retirement plan.
Both are paid into while you are working in case you need them.

I don't plan on getting unemployment in January. I plan to be working another job and hopefully driving a few times a month to keep health insurance.

McLeod

I don't plan on getting unemployment in January. I plan to be working another job and hopefully driving a few times a month to keep health insurance.
How many days of working are needed to keep health insurance? I need to find this in black and white. Thanks!