unemployment / time off request.

Indecisi0n

OK, i been asking around and getting different answers from people.

A) If i have been at UPS as a casual driver since April 2011 and they lay me off in Dec will i be able to collect unemployment come Jan 2012? I ask not because i am looking at milking the system but i own a house and need income coming in (even though i am saving every penny i earn now just in case of this).

Which brings me to next question.

B) I am going to start applying for new jobs now just in case they don't call me back in Jan. My question is don't you think its going to look bad that i keep taking days off of work to go to interviews? I am sure at some point my boss is going to ask me whats going on. Should i be honest and tell him i am looking for another job? I haven't missed one day since i started.

Thanks guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wouldn't they just put you on Preload/metro? If not, I would definitely apply for unemployment.

He is a casual who has not made FT seniority so he does not have the right to bump in to the building.

You may be putting the cart before the horse as you don't know what will happen come January. Will you work every day? No but that is not to say that you won't work at all. Definitely file for unemployment--in the mean time, try to find a job that will work with your UPS schedule. When I was a casual I stocked shelves in a grocery store from midnight to 4 am and then delivered auto parts during the days on the days I was not driving. The supervisor at the auto parts store worked around my UPS schedule.

menotyou

bella amicizia
UPS does not like paying unemployment. If he files, they usually find something for you to do. Plattsburg doesnt have casuals that also work the sorts? I guess your center manager will learn how that works when he moves to Black River.

UPSGUY72

You will be able to collect unemployment collecting has nothing to do with your job title if your working you can collect if they let you go be it as casual, PT or FT employee.

Anything else depends on the area your in. In my area the only time PT casual people work is peak. And the only time FT causal work is June 1 to the second week in Sept to cover Vacations. Than Oct 1 to the day before X-mass if need for peak. IF your working any other time your are a permanent employee be it FT or PT.

Indecisi0n

I am sort of putting the cart before the horse but I have responsibilities so I have to! I don't want to have no income. I have talked to a lot of people (union reps, drivers etc) everyone says the chances of me being hired is slim to none. This is my 2nd casual, I did summer and am doom this Xmas peek.

So now I ask myself. Do I look for a better job while I am employed or do I stick with UPS and hope for the best come Jan. I keep going back and forth on what to do. If I get a so-so job do I bail on UPS. Ahhhh drivin me crazy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UPS does not like paying unemployment. If he files, they usually find something for you to do. Plattsburg doesnt have casuals that also work the sorts? I guess your center manager will learn how that works when he moves to Black River.

Casuals are not guaranteed their 8 so they don't get to bump in to the sort. How would that be fair to the kid that gets laid off so that they could get their hours? Now, if they are FT bid cover then, yes, they are guaranteed their 8 and do get to bump in to the sort.

Indecisi0n

I guess there is no real way of knowing if they are going to hire me. Managers say they like me and there could be spots but the union says with the stats of our shop on hiring casuals i have a snowballs chance in hell.

UPSGUY72

I guess there is no real way of knowing if they are going to hire me. Managers say they like me and there could be spots but the union says with the stats of our shop on hiring casuals i have a snowballs chance in hell.

You have a better chance of getting hired as a PT than you do as a driver. Which in turn means you would be guaranteed get a drivers job sometime in the future if you still can meet the requirements although how long that time is all depends on the area your in.

If you want to have a career with UPS make sure your HR person knows that you would be will to take a PT opening if one opens if you can't get a hired as FT driver off the street.

bluehdmc

Unfortunately if you take time off to go to interviews when you're working as casual they will think you have an "attendance" problem and they probably wouldn't hire you as a permanent employee. Sorta puts you between a rock and a hard place. You should be able to collect unemployment though if they lay you off after Christmas.

Indecisi0n

Unfortunately if you take time off to go to interviews when you're working as casual they will think you have an "attendance" problem and they probably wouldn't hire you as a permanent employee. Sorta puts you between a rock and a hard place. You should be able to collect unemployment though if they lay you off after Christmas.

I was thinking the same thing. I never call out and i am sure this will raise a red flag if i start to.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was thinking the same thing. I never call out and i am sure this will raise a red flag if i start to.

This may vary in your center but Monday's are usually the lightest in my center and the day that they cut the most runs. If I were in your positon I would do most of the initial legwork either by e-mail or snail mail and then try to schedule any interviews for Monday.

Indecisi0n

This may vary in your center but Monday's are usually the lightest in my center and the day that they cut the most runs. If I were in your positon I would do most of the initial legwork either by e-mail or snail mail and then try to schedule any interviews for Monday.

That's what i will do. Thank you.