Unfair Production Standards

A

anonymous6

This is really no time to be fooling around with a good job........or you could be doing hot dogs like Klein!! (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Today you find hundreds of people showing up for just one job opening.

that's a sad statement.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What a friggin joke! Management should be going on strike! having to deal with union employees is horrible! They have little to no work ethic, and don't have to have any accountability because the adult babysitters club (union) will protect them. Pathetic.

Couldn't agree with you more. We would not be in business for over 100 years if we didn't have strong work ethic from both union and non-union folks alike. The company and the union both do an exceptional job weeding out the bad ones
browndevil,

My reply was in response to he above quote.

There are many workers, hourly and management, who are poor workers.

There is no proof that the company does a good job of weeding out the bad ones.

Sincerely,
I

kingOFchester

How did our protest go on Thursday? Nothing, they showed up on Friday....day late.

So let me get this right, I pay union dues so the union can represent us and get us a fair contract. So now, I am asked to wear a sticker because of the Unfair Production Standards?? How long has the union been at UPS? Didn't they realize how weak the wording in the contract is? And the answer is for me to wear a sticker? When I was 7 my treehouse club wore stickers.

Got a sticker:
Union
Protest
Sucked

kingOFchester

Even better, if you go to my local's website, there is no mention of the protest. Under events tab you will find " click here for the latest on Union-related activities"...which takes you to the monthly meeting dates.

Integrity

Binge Poster
have to ask about this -
"If done right, using proper management employee relations and workplace discipline holding workers accountable is very simple."

What are you basing this statement on? How many union workers have you held accountable?
brownIEman,

I am basing my statement on fact. It is very difficult to hold any person accountable in today's society.

Many people are become defensive when they are being held accountable.

I said it was simple, but I never said it was easy.

Here is my simple method of holding some one accountable with Integrity.

Step One

Have the right attitude.

Treat every person with dignity and respect at all times, remember workers are people, not machines.

A person is a complex being, each one may be going through trials and temptations that are hard.

Life can be hard.

When holding someone accountable the goal is never to hurt someone or make someones life harder. It is done only to make things better.

Step 2

Casually talk with the person.

Ask them about themselves.

Verbally explain the situation that may need improvement.

Ask if there is anything that anyone can do to help improve in the area of need.

If no improvement noticed proceed to Step 3.

Step 3

Verbally review situatuon with the persons Shop Steward.

Give the steward a chance to correct the situation.

Let the steward know that you are concerned and want to help the employee improve in any way possible.

Clarify with the steward you really want to avoid the official progressive discipline.

Let the steward also know that if the situation continues you will have no choice but to move to the progressive discipline that the union accepts.

Ask the steward to get back you.

If no improvement notice move to step 4.

Step 4

Use the progressive discipline accepted by the Union.

Sincerely,
I

kingOFchester

brownIEman,

I am basing my statement on fact. It is very difficult to hold any person accountable in today's society.

Step One

Have the right attitude.

Treat every person with dignity and respect at all times, remember workers are people, not machines.

A person is a complex being, each one may be going through trials and temptations that are hard.

Life can be hard.

When holding someone accountable the goal is never to hurt someone or make someones life harder. It is done only to make things better.

Step 2

Ask if there is anything that anyone can do to help improve in the area of need.

Step 3

Let the steward know that you are concerned and want to help the employee improve in any way possible.

Clarify with the steward you really want to avoid the official progressive discipline.

Let the steward also know that if the situation continues you will have no choice but to move to the progressive discipline that the union accepts.

Step 4

Sincerely,
I

Who can argue with that?

SFTifoso

In my experience it's not about holding people accountable at all. It's about trying to squeeze every last drop out of a person. I work in the small sort and our sups wanted us at 800 PPH. OK I give them that, but then they come and "talk" to you about doing 900 PPH. Ok you give them that number, but then they start bugging you again about going up to 1000 PPH. Ok at this point in order to process 1000 PPH you have work like a frenzy mad man. **** that. I work at 800 PPH, if they like it good, if they don't too bad. They can't do nothing to me anyways, as long as I work at a consistent pace. Some of you might see that as slacker attitude, but I'm not about to work like I'm on speed.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
brownIEman,

Step One

Have the right attitude.

I am not a counselor, priest or personal problem fixer...

Life can be hard.

and the point is? The employee should be coddled cause they were never told no by someone or they actually did something wrong and its not ok!!

Change behavior....

Step 2

Step 3

I view this as a side deal...it always comes back to haunt you.

Step 4

Sincerely,
I

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
How did our protest go on Thursday? Nothing, they showed up on Friday....day late.

So let me get this right, I pay union dues so the union can represent us and get us a fair contract. So now, I am asked to wear a sticker because of the Unfair Production Standards?? How long has the union been at UPS? Didn't they realize how weak the wording in the contract is? And the answer is for me to wear a sticker? When I was 7 my treehouse club wore stickers.

Got a sticker:
Union
Protest
Sucked
!!!!AMEN!!!!!

Integrity

Binge Poster
Dragon,

I have posted your comments and my responses below:

I am not a counselor, priest or personal problem fixer...

I never said you were. Do you care about your employees? If you don't, you should.

and the point is? The employee should be coddled cause they were never told no by someone or they actually did something wrong and its not ok!!

You can care about people and not coddle them. I did not say to coddle. I have found that people respect those in authority who care about people.

Change behavior....

Sometimes some people are powerless to change without help.

You have no flaws or hangups that you have found hard to overcome?

Are you perfect?

I view this as a side deal...it always comes back to haunt you.

I disagree. What is the deal that you are referring to?

Sincerely,
I

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
there are a few people here who crossed the line
its a damn shame
I guess it happens. I dont get why people go from an issue to a torment of some guy with a little too much around the middle.
Must be great to be perfect.
And exactly how did it further the point, tell me again?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I dont get the part here of making fun of someones physical condition.:surprised::surprised:

there are a few people here who crossed the line
its a damn shame

I guess it happens. I dont get why people go from an issue to a torment of some guy with a little too much around the middle.
toonertoo, local804,

I agree. This is pointless and completely irrelevant to the point.

It is very kind of you both to speak on behalf of this wrong conduct.

Sincerely,
I

local804

And the messed up thing about it is the heavy guy is a real class act and would help out anyone in any situation. He donates his time and money for some pretty good causes and I would defend him till death. But on this forum, I remain quiet towards the posters, make a point here and there and go on with my business.

I will end this with a quaote from Plato

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Have a good weekend Tooner and Int

lonewolf

Got a sticker:
Union
Protest
Sucked

This bunch of misfits that are on the Executive board now, don't even know what a Union means. They got the cat delivered by FedEx LMFO. Just stick around in 19 months these guys will be gone.

ROW A

This bunch of misfits that are on the Executive board now, don't even know what a Union means. They got the cat delivered by FedEx LMFO. Just stick around in 19 months these guys will be gone.
EVEN TONY.D OR STEVE.M OR BILL.B OR MANGO- OR ANGELO CAN NOT BE THIS STUPID:surprised: SO YOU MUST BE THE LABOR MANAGER MATT.H :sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Honestly, one of our stewards said it best: "baby steps"

The unfair production standards affair was simply the first step to awareness, there are so many new-hires and babies working at UPS and they do not recognize strength in numbers AND the "new" UPS.