Unfair Production Standards

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And the messed up thing about it is the heavy guy is a real class act and would help out anyone in any situation. He donates his time and money for some pretty good causes and I would defend him till death. But on this forum, I remain quiet towards the posters, make a point here and there and go on with my business.

I will end this with a quaote from Plato

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Have a good weekend Tooner and Int

I dont know why it stuck me as unusally mean, but it did. Maybe its coz Ive gained more than a few since I hit middle age. Maybe it is because it was about unfair production expectations, and since we cant beat those, we beat a guy who has gained some weight. Maybe I am just too sensitive. But one thing I know, like 804 said, hes a good guy. And I dont know the guy, but one thing I know and was taught at a young age, is respect. Some posts on many threads has gotten to the point of being mean. Who the hell has time to be mean? It is bad for your health, it makes you look ugly, even if you are at the perfect weight and condition. Ugly is to the bone.
A favorite saying of mine has always been
I might be fat but I can lose weight, Ugly is forever.

Last edited:

brownIEman

brownIEman,

I am basing my statement on fact. It is very difficult to hold any person accountable in today's society.

Many people are become defensive when they are being held accountable.

I said it was simple, but I never said it was easy.

Your statement was the it is very simple to hold someone accountable, now you are saying it is very difficult. I believe your thinking is somewhat naive on this count. I do not mean that as an insult in any way.

I believe accountability is neither simple nor easy.

Your steps are actually quite excellent, and would make for a perfect starting outline for a labor relations class. The problem is in real world execution. Each step you speak of comes with a multitude of variables and takes many extra hours on the part of the management person. Which would not be a problem at all if there were actually a payoff in the form of changed behavior, but there rarely is.

Getting a steward involved with helping to change behavior also sounds like a good idea, and would be if more, or any, stewards saw this as part of their responsibility. Unfortunately, all the stewards I have worked with, even the good ones, do not see any collective role for the union in "providing a fair days work". Although they see a collective role for the union in just about everything else, go figure.

I also notice you side stepped my second question, "How many union members have you held accountable?"

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Now THAT'S funny! Our own pt sup was complaining today about the unfair production standards. Poor guy just doesn't even care any more.

I was told by a PT supe that one of the other PT sups had to coach one of the preloaders to hand out the stickers. I think they are just as tired of loading pc's as we are of having them skew the metric for us.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
95% of our guys n gals wore the stickers. It was not viewed as anything other than a show of unity toward a common goal of common sense production rates. It's never easy to get all the boats rowing the same way at the same time, but if we can't as ups hourlies agree on the production issue as a rallying call, what else could be more unifying? To me the stickers, while not outrightly solving the issue, served as a visual aid for management to verify that the seeds of discontent are planted, and are now sprouting.

I was proud to wear mine, and was rewarded the next day with the biggest dispatch I'd had in 90 days. That tells me that they saw my sticker, which is all I expected at this point.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
95% of our guys n gals wore the stickers. It was not viewed as anything other than a show of unity toward a common goal of common sense production rates. It's never easy to get all the boats rowing the same way at the same time, but if we can't as ups hourlies agree on the production issue as a rallying call, what else could be more unifying? To me the stickers, while not outrightly solving the issue, served as a visual aid for management to verify that the seeds of discontent are planted, and are now sprouting.

I was proud to wear mine, and was rewarded the next day with the biggest dispatch I'd had in 90 days. That tells me that they saw my sticker, which is all I expected at this point.

THis post is basically exactly what I said a page ago :happy-very:

You could file a grievance for retaliation harrassment/unfair days work for union involvement.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And the messed up thing about it is the heavy guy is a real class act and would help out anyone in any situation. He donates his time and money for some pretty good causes and I would defend him till death. But on this forum, I remain quiet towards the posters, make a point here and there and go on with my business.

I will end this with a quaote from Plato

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

Have a good weekend Tooner and Int

My comment was directed at someone in my local. He has gained so much weight a manager called me the last time he saw this person. Manager was worried for his health. The guy is addicted to hamburgers, I swear. If he keeps on this path, he will have severe health issues. That is not a few pounds. Also, it is irritating to think that the union credit card might be being abused. Don't arrange every meeting at Ruby Tuesday's at lunch time, then swipe away union money. There are other times for meetings besides lunch time.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My comment was directed at someone in my local. He has gained so much weight a manager called me the last time he saw this person. Manager was worried for his health. The guy is addicted to hamburgers, I swear. If he keeps on this path, he will have severe health issues. That is not a few pounds. Also, it is irritating to think that the union credit card might be being abused. Don't arrange every meeting at Ruby Tuesday's at lunch time, then swipe away union money. There are other times for meetings besides lunch time.

Were those burgers union-made? It's okay then

dillweed

As I read through this thead it occurs to me that we, here on the BC, are divided. Our attitudes and methods of dealing with life itself differ. We form our own realities. No wonder the union cannot act as one for the best during work hours.

This isn't intended as criticism toward anyone. Some of the posts I agree with and some I don't but it doesn't matter who wrote them.

Fortunately, this forum is a safe place to voice our own opinions without fear of losing our jobs. We may be on someone's turd list for awhile but everyone gets over it and accepts each other. We seem to agree that something is very wrong at UPS right now and getting worse. Why it is and how to remedy it creates discussion and much food for thought.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had not seen Brian for a while before going to the pension meeting in Potsdam. When I saw him I pulled Barry (sideburns) aside and asked him if Brian was having health issues. I was and still am truly concerned for his health.

I am less concerned about potential abuse of union money, as I don't think this is an issue with Brian, as I am with his health.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I will take your word about the money, as you probably have gotten to know him better. I whole-heartedly agree with you about his health. I know how much he loves his family. I just want him to be around a very long time, so I can continue to spar and pick, if nothing else. (I like Barry. He is very sweet.):happy2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve, this person used to be a PC driver. He is 5'9"-5'10" and used to be 180-200 lbs. He is easily over 250 lbs. I am very concerned about his health.

It is likely by choice. Most of the stewards I see "let themselves go" in order to meet the mold of "union guy", it is no different than the car you drive deciding your "class" in this society. IF that is not the case , so be it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Your statement was the it is very simple to hold someone accountable, now you are saying it is very difficult. I believe your thinking is somewhat naive on this count. I do not mean that as an insult in any way.

I believe accountability is neither simple nor easy.

Your steps are actually quite excellent, and would make for a perfect starting outline for a labor relations class. The problem is in real world execution. Each step you speak of comes with a multitude of variables and takes many extra hours on the part of the management person. Which would not be a problem at all if there were actually a payoff in the form of changed behavior, but there rarely is.

Getting a steward involved with helping to change behavior also sounds like a good idea, and would be if more, or any, stewards saw this as part of their responsibility. Unfortunately, all the stewards I have worked with, even the good ones, do not see any collective role for the union in "providing a fair days work". Although they see a collective role for the union in just about everything else, go figure.

I also notice you side stepped my second question, "How many union members have you held accountable?"
brownIEman,

When I say simple I am meaning not complex.

Some things in life are not complex but very, very difficult.

Please for give me for overlooking that question.

My answer: No Comment.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
brownIEman,

I forgot to include my response to your above statement in my previous reply.

I believe if done this way you can guarantee change, but maybe not changed behavior.

If the person doesn't change and cannot be disciplined into correcting the problem. Whatever that problem is, then the person will lose his or her job.

This is not the change desired when approaching discipline, but ultimately it is in the hands of the employee and the accepted discipline method of the union.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
Oh stop, no one cares....grow some thicker skin
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

I disagree!

I care how people are treated.

I know many others do too.

I wish some of the people that really cared would be more vocal about it.

Growing thicker skin is not the answer to the ills of verbal, emotional, or physical abuse.

Kindess, caring about others, sensitivity to human feelings will be what helps those who are being or have been abused in life.

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
It is likely by choice. Most of the stewards I see "let themselves go" in order to meet the mold of "union guy", it is no different than the car you drive deciding your "class" in this society. IF that is not the case , so be it.

His choices are Double Quarter Pounders instead of a salad. He has said this himself. I realize it is a tough situation. On the road a lot, eating meetings, ect. He really needs to be careful. I am worried.

Had enough

[video=youtube;sQOIdLYhwx4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOIdLYhwx4"[/video]

This is what members think of the cat and mouse! Now the company will eat us up alive!!!:angry: This was not intended to do with weight gain!! Its just means inflatable items! Not to insult anyone!!!

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Sleeve_meet_Heart,

I disagree!

I care how people are treated.

I know many others do too.

I wish some of the people that really cared would be more vocal about it.

Growing thicker skin is not the answer to the ills of verbal, emotional, or physical abuse.

Kindess, caring about others, sensitivity to human feelings will be what helps those who are being or have been abused in life.

Sincerely,
I

Dear Integrity,

no comment.

-SMH