unfair treatment

satellitedriver

Thank God, I'm in the good old Central States where 9.5 means 9.5 and nothing is implied.
Dusty,
I am in Central States-(in Texas)- and the union rep was at the PCM last year to confirm that anyone that bid on an "extended route" could not file a 9.5 grievance, due to contract language. The union rep quoted the article and supported the companies position.
There is a reason I quit the teamsters and why I work 10 to 11hrs a day.

Dustyroads

I've filed and won em, under the current contract, and have been on the extended route for 30 years. Maybe it's a local thing. If so, thank God for that.

There are a lot of centers in our district where more than 50 % of the routes are "extended".

Just wondering, are those unfortunates that bid the extended routes also not entitled to 8 hour requests?

satellitedriver

in some parts the driver may have to cover 300 miles
its the same but different everywhere
The generic definition out our center is 150 miles, which is a good 40% of the routes in my center.
Then we have the non bid/non routes.
-(old days called the trash trucks)-
They may run 200 to 300 miles helping on pickups/air meets and over dispatched routes.
Maybe, and I do mean maybe, the new re-alignment of districts may give insight to the "new" managers where the money is being lost.
I will thrive and survive, no matter what comes.
Jim Casey held the same belief structure of Dale Carnegie, and it was taught to management. No longer is that the case.
Greed has become the new need.
I wish that all the new managers would watch an old movie called "Paint Your Wagon".
Damn bad movie, but when Lee Marvin sees the gold dust slipping through the cracks of the saloon floor he has an insight of what is wasted and forgotten.
Maybe it is a incorrect analogy, but some nights when I get home at 10:30 my wife is concerned about my well being and I just tell her I have been collecting the gold dust that has fallen through the cracks.
I truly hope the " new" changes will work out for the whole, but I still expect to pull 50hr+ weeks, to save our company money.

Wow, I just read what I wrote.
I sound angry.
Anger is not my feeling
Concern for the future direction of UPS is my main concern.
Que Sera, Sera.

EmerCond421

What and who defines an "extended" route?

in some parts the driver may have to cover 300 miles
its the same but different everywhere

My "normal" day miles is between 320 and 350 miles, anything less than 300, I feel that I haven't done a full and productive day. If I don't have any extended stops, less then 250 miles, I'm scrambling to find work. I have done over 400 miles on occasion. :knockedout:

satellitedriver

My "normal" day miles is between 320 and 350 miles, anything less than 300, I feel that I haven't done a full and productive day. If I don't have any extended stops, less then 250 miles, I'm scrambling to find work. I have done over 400 miles on occasion. :knockedout:

Our DIAD'S will not except any mileage over 300 miles.
Why, I do not know.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
bottom line is that the 9.5 language is only for more than 3 a week. you can always bet on friday being one of those days where you are dispatched with 10+ hours of work.

some people like overtime every day, others dont. we have one driver that always works 1.5-11 hours 5 days a week. does not have a home life.

personally, i didnt mind overtime most of the time, but it would be nice for ups to take into consideration that there will be days we do want in early to go to our kids ball games, piano recitals etc. they take off in time to go. but we are not allowed that option.

d

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Here we call it January madness. From about spot 8 down, you are subject to getting bumped off your route. And feeders is worse. We bid every March and September, so we really could be on the move.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
What if you entered the first 300 miles under Vehicle 1 and the miles over 300 under Vehicle 2?

You would get time allowance for a second vehicle, thus stealing time.:greedy: I have mistakenly entered the wrong ending mileage and the DIAD will show a huge total. I'll have to try it today and see if it goes over 300.

why worry about time allowance unless you are running under and are in a bonus ctr. Our diads and the OR would accept over 300 miles. We've had several routes that go over 300 on a regular basis.

You would get time allowance for a second vehicle, thus stealing time.:greedy: I have mistakenly entered the wrong ending mileage and the DIAD will show a huge total. I'll have to try it today and see if it goes over 300.
If you don't get credit for ALL the miles you drive, they are stealing time from YOU.

DS

Fenderbender

Disappointed that upsers would treat a wife this way.

Well,it seems since this was her last post,I don't expect that wifey will be back asking for advice here.
Maybe she was even afraid to mention all the comments to her abused husband.I wish she'd taken my advice and got him to join the cafe,
he's the only one that knows the real truth.