Uniform rules

over9five

Staff member
Sometimes I change pants to shorts at midday.

It's 80° right now and I was just debating short pants/long pants. Problem is I have to consider what the temps going to be at 3AM.

My daughter just suggested zip-offs. That would be great! UPS needs to add this to the uniform options!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
One of our feeder managers told the steward last friday that we were going to have to wear our street clothes into work and change into our uniform. Most feeder drivers don't have lockers and there dosen't appear to be any room to provide them. What happens to the driver on the spare list. Will he have a locker in every building. We have 7 he can potentially work in. I remember years ago, when this was common practice, the company had a laundry service for the pants. I haven't seen this in years.

Article 5 NMUPSA;

"The Employer agrees to provide lockers for those employees who are required to change into a uniform or take a lunch period. All other employees will be provided a suitable area for keeping personal items and clothes. Assigned lockers will not be opened by the Employer unless either the employee or a Union representative is present."

The inverse of this would be that if the company cannot or will not provide a locker, the employee therefore cannot be required to change into his uniform at work.

We used to be required to change in and out of our uniforms at work, but when shorts became an option the drivers who paid for them argued that, since the shorts were their personal property, they could wear them wherever they wanted to. Not too long after that, we ran out of lockers due to overcrowding and those without lockers changed at home since they had nowhere to keep their clothes. At that point the rule became unenforceable and now we are not required to change at work. I have not had a locker in 15 years and I'm fine with it, I would rather save the time and get dressed at home.

tae111

I always thought it strange that you could wear the shirt with the logo on it home but the pants had to be kept at UPS. Years ago I bought pants that matched the color pretty close. I used to wear them to work and change into the uniform pants. I kept the receipt in my pocket. Made for some very interesting conversations with management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I think part of the reason that they wanted you to not wear the complete uniform to and from work was some of the fellas would like to stop for a cocktail on the way home and perhaps they thought it looked unfavorable for the public to see the UPS driver enjoying an adult beverage after a hard day at work.

As far as wearing the vest with a short sleeve shirt, I wonder how that on-car would feel about the drivers who wear the vest, long sleeve shirt and shorts?

over9five

Staff member
I know!!! They let drivers wear shorts in the middle of Winter, which looks ASININE!! (is asinine allowed?). As soon as they allow shorts in a snowstorm, you might as well throw all the other appearance guidelines out the window.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think part of the reason that they wanted you to not wear the complete uniform to and from work was some of the fellas would like to stop for a cocktail on the way home and perhaps they thought it looked unfavorable for the public to see the UPS driver enjoying an adult beverage after a hard day at work.

As far as wearing the vest with a short sleeve shirt, I wonder how that on-car would feel about the drivers who wear the vest, long sleeve shirt and shorts?

And we all know that the public would never guess it was a bunch of UPS drivers in the bar even though they all had brown shirts with UPS logos on them:happy2:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I know!!! They let drivers wear shorts in the middle of Winter, which looks ASININE!! (is asinine allowed?). As soon as they allow shorts in a snowstorm, you might as well throw all the other appearance guidelines out the window.

I wear shorts all winter long, even when it snows. The only time I wear pants is if there is so much snow that I will have to chain up.

NEFARIOUS

BOTTOM FEEDER
That makes me a bit sad I have tattoos and have always been able to say. "show me that on the uniform guidlines." Guess now they can.:sad-very: Oh well long sleeve and pants are not so bad.

Richie

over9five

Staff member
I wonder if the plan is to push all this? We have a guy here with tats all down his arms. I can't imagine having to wear long sleeves all summer.

P

pickup

the poster about our uniforms at our building is old. i believe its from 1942 and written in German

if the mentality of today's ups's micromanagers were responsible for the operation of the allied forces in ww2, I believe every poster in today's work places would be in German .

Sammie

Another tip. Avoid eating binges and/or crash diets. Once your unform
doesn't fit, it takes a while to order a new one. So the gaining/losing
50 lbs or more over a weekend should be reconsidered....

Uniform#1.jpg
Uniform#2.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Wear it like this, and ask him if he likes it better this way.

attachment.php

I wear my shorts in the snow all the time, oh, that's right, it doesn't snow here.:wink2:
100_9355.jpg

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I wonder if the plan is to push all this? We have a guy here with tats all down his arms. I can't imagine having to wear long sleeves all summer.

They do in my district. They force the guys with visible tattoos to wear long sleeves/pants in summer. I am glad I was smart enough not to get my tats below my elbows!