Uniforms

CAFAL

We have a hell of a time getting uniforms in ny. It takes 3 months to get any,and when you do it's the wrong size and they get us 2. I have never gotten 5 full sets of uniforms in my eleven years. To top it all off, every single ups freight drivet i see has a shiny brand new uniform. Any problems like this out there?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
and to top it off the uniforms are so cheaply made they fall apart very quickly: holes in shirt pockets,buttons falling off,seams coming undone. it's obvious the Lowest Bidder makes our uniforms!

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I can't help but feel this post is ironic, seein' as how all of your other posts are so "quit yet bitchin'" and "we should be so grateful to have our jobs" (I'm paraphrasing). Do you mean to tell us you've found an instance where, Brown has taken a dump on its workforce?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have heard plenty of stories about this but once ever year or 2 I order 5 shirts long and short and 5 pants and shorts never had a problem. It is pretty ironic though we must shave and wear ups socks and polish our boots but the uniforms are never replaced in a timely manner.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
For the past two peaks we have not been allowed to order uniforms in the fourth quarter, wonder why that i$. To eliminate this keep wearing the craptastic uniforms to work and ask management if the holes will show up on YouTube. I'd be willing to bet you'll have replacement uniforms in a week.

CAFAL

I can't help but feel this post is ironic, seein' as how all of your other posts are so "quit yet bitchin'" and "we should be so grateful to have our jobs" (I'm paraphrasing). Do you mean to tell us you've found an instance where, Brown has taken a dump on its workforce?

I do apologize for not seeming to have sympathy for others concerns. I do care. I have lost faith in my steward,my BA and my local. Major lack of leadership. It's all politics. Thank you for opening my eyes a bit more

CAFAL

I have never had a problem ordering and receiving new uniforms in a timely manner.

Lucky. Must be farther north,out of the north jersey district. I ordered in oct 2011, got the 2 uniforms in jan. Pants and shirts were wrong size. Reordered twice and still waiting. Im down to two ripped shirts and two ripped pants

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lucky. Must be farther north,out of the north jersey district. I ordered in oct 2011, got the 2 uniforms in jan. Pants and shirts were wrong size. Reordered twice and still waiting. Im down to two ripped shirts and two ripped pants

Try 5 hours north----you couldn't pay me to live in New Jersery.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
People...the solution to this issue is brutally simple.

(a) File a grievance.

(b) Inform your managment team...with a steward as a witness...that your uniforms are no longer wearable and that you expect them to honor the contract and provide you with suitable uniform items immediately.

(c) If they refuse to fill your uniform order, simply report to work without a uniform and clock in. Your management team will then have a choice; allow you to work without a uniform, or send you home and pay you your 8 hour gurantee for the day.

(d) Repeat as necessary.

The reality is that your management team has the ability to fill your order immediately and have the items sent Next Day Air if necessary. All they lack...is the willingness. Being forced to send you home and pay you your 8 hr gurantee...or allowing you to work in street clothes....will help them to develop that willingess. What is going on here is simple; some corporate bean-counter in a cubicle someplace had a bright idea and decided to make himself look better on some stupid financial report by simply denying all uniform requests from a particular district or region. We went through the same BS a couple years ago, and I filed a grievance and threatened to show up with no uniform and demand my 8 hr gurantee. Guess what? I got my uniforms, and havent had a problem since!

CAFAL

People...the solution to this issue is brutally simple.

(a) File a grievance.

(b) Inform your managment team...with a steward as a witness...that your uniforms are no longer wearable and that you expect them to honor the contract and provide you with suitable uniform items immediately.

(c) If they refuse to fill your uniform order, simply report to work without a uniform and clock in. Your management team will then have a choice; allow you to work without a uniform, or send you home and pay you your 8 hour gurantee for the day.

(d) Repeat as necessary.

The reality is that your management team has the ability to fill your order immediately and have the items sent Next Day Air if necessary. All they lack...is the willingness. Being forced to send you home and pay you your 8 hr gurantee...or allowing you to work in street clothes....will help them to develop that willingess. What is going on here is simple; some corporate bean-counter in a cubicle someplace had a bright idea and decided to make himself look better on some stupid financial report by simply denying all uniform requests from a particular district or region. We went through the same BS a couple years ago, and I filed a grievance and threatened to show up with no uniform and demand my 8 hr gurantee. Guess what? I got my uniforms, and havent had a problem since!

That doesn't work. We had one guy work through peak wearing his winter yankees coat. Still took two months for him to get a new coat. center manager said he made a ton of phone calls. I just don't get it. It has to be the size of our district and the volume of orders

CAFAL

He is our business manager (center manager)---he talks about his days in Poughkeepsie and some of the drug busts he participated in.

Too funny. He was a nut. Cool person when he was calm. Crazy when he was pissed. I seen him go after a loader once. He was like a tazmanian devil flying down the belt. Packages flying everywhere. The loader told him to go eff himself. He just snapped. Friggin hilarious

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Too funny. He was a nut. Cool person when he was calm. Crazy when he was pissed. I seen him go after a loader once. He was like a tazmanian devil flying down the belt. Packages flying everywhere. The loader told him to go eff himself. He just snapped. Friggin hilarious

Great guy away from the job.

CAFAL

Great guy away from the job.

Nice to hear that he is still around. He is the reason I am where I am. He gave me a second chance when I first started. I had a problem with excessive 1 min lates. He moved me out if unloading feeders to loading cars. He told me he had to fire me, but asked me if i really wanted the job. One day suspension and a promotion. Forever indebted to him.