Union’s proposals available

OptimusPrime

"All automotive vehicles shall be equipped with a manufacturer certified seat belt restraint
system. Jump seats shall be equipped with a safety belt. Three-point shoulder harness safety
belts shall be provided on the driver's side of all new vehicles"

That is complete bs. Why only on "new" vehicles? We should have three point harnesses on EVERY vehicle.

OptimusPrime

"The Employer shall pay for all time spent and all associated costs for all exams, licenses
and requirements to perform any bargaining unit job."

Very interesting. So we would be payed for our DOT exams?

M

MenInBrown

Exactly. In my center, the "main" center has PCM at 0845.. then two of the routes out of that center pull TP-60s out to a town about 40 miles away. Five remote routes start out from this location at 1015, spending the first 45-90 minutes loading their own package cars.

The PCs are parked outdoors in a fenced lot at a repair shop, and the sort happens in an open dirt field ajacent. Yes, that means we are loading in the mud during rainy periods and in the snow and ice during the winter.

Wonder if this language (if it survives) would require the company to get us an indoor place to perform remote sort and loads?

We have had a lady just down the street trying to get us moved to her secure location for over a year now...said she woul build a shelter and everything. Also told our center manager that she would do it for 1/2 the price too, and we still havent been moved. Our location is not even in a place where the trucks are in a secure place over night. They are now making it 4 lanes through there and we wont even be able to load there...center manager was told this months ago, and guess what, nothing been done. Our management team blows...they are all the physical flunkies who couldnt be a del driver, and are all reactive to everything instead of proactive.

M

MenInBrown

I had this vision of an early 1900's UPS Driver coming back and b!tch slapping some of you....

I del more in the first 10 minutes of my day than someone in the early 1900s did. haha ;) Thanks to all the hard working back breaking laborers before me to make this company what it is today.

M

MenInBrown

So no wage increases for PT'ers? We need to get more people to vote! Are the raises still the same? Sorry i'm reading this and i'm not seeing anything.

EDIT* Read the thread i guess there will be some.

Wages will not be discussed until Jan.

M

MenInBrown

Lets go back to a 3 year contract. You know UPS is gonna shoot for a 10 year contract.

laffter

Lets go back to a 3 year contract. You know UPS is gonna shoot for a 10 year contract.

A 3-year contract could backfire just as much as a 10-year one could.

A shorter contract means possibly screwing you over MUCH worse in 3 years. A 10-year means screwing you over NOW long-term.

M

MenInBrown

A 3-year contract could backfire just as much as a 10-year one could.

A shorter contract means possibly screwing you over MUCH worse in 3 years. A 10-year means screwing you over NOW long-term.

I would rather take the 3 than half my career getting screwed. ;)

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less

My local union president (who is on the negotiating committee this year and has been in the past) said 3 year deals are a thing of the past. The new norm is 5 years and the IBT really doesn't want to give them more than that, unless it's a stellar contract.

HubBub

This one has me scratching my head:

"No supervisor or employee shall be allowed to turn on a moving belt that they did not turn off. Only the supervisor or employee that turned the belt off shall be allowed to turn the belt on when the area is deemed safe."

Firstly, more often than not its workers turning the belts on and off, so this language will mostly just lead to workers being in violation of the contract.

Secondly, if the belt is moving (as per the first sentence), why would anyone need to turn it on? Or are they referring to belts that can potentially move? Is there such a thing as a belt that cannot move?

Thirdly, it's just impractical. What if the person who turned off the belt has left the area or the building and we need the belt on? Do we go searching for him or call him back before we can resume the operation? Just a strange paragraph imo.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
All the big factories and warehouses on my route are heated. Many are air-conditioned also. No reason our buildings can't be.

That could be in the proposal in the contract offers.
The initial cost and ongoing cost of implementing that would be taken out of the financial offer.
I'm sure operations management will back you on this and certainly appreciate it.

It says repeatedly in the press release that economic issues were not part of these proposals. There will not be anything released about any wage or benefit proposal until they enter that part of the negotiations.

The reason the "economic issues" will not start until after these proposals are agreed upon is that these proposals typically have a cost associated with them and those costs have to be backed out of the economic money pool before the economics can start.

stink219

"The Employer shall pay for all time spent and all associated costs for all exams, licenses
and requirements to perform any bargaining unit job."

Very interesting. So we would be payed for our DOT exams?
you should be paid for your physical now. But the language seems to interpret "requirements to perform bargaining unit jobs". I'm a driver and need a license to drive, so I'm thinking that includes renewal fees also.

stink219

People!!! All I keep seeing is "No raises for part timers?". THEY ARE NOT DISCUSSING RAISES, PENSION OR BENNIES FOR ANYONE UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again, THEY ARE NOT DISCUSSING RAISES, PENSION OR BENNIES FOR ANYONE UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once more together as a group, THEY ARE NOT DISCUSSING RAISES, PENSION OR BENNIES FOR ANYONE UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read the proposal first, then ask questions. Sorry for the outburst.

EmraldArcher

So what if UPS DOESN'T purge all the older PCs by the end of the contract? If they have until the contract expires to do it what motivation do they have to actually follow through?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

"No supervisor or employee shall be allowed to turn on a moving belt that they did not turn off. Only the supervisor or employee that turned the belt off shall be allowed to turn the belt on when the area is deemed safe."

Firstly, more often than not its workers turning the belts on and off, so this language will mostly just lead to workers being in violation of the contract. I think all the language intends is that whoever turned the belt off (for whatever reason) has to be the one to turn it back on. ON preload this is where this language is most effective. If I'm loading a truck and have to stop it to remove an oversize or heavy package then I am the one that turns it back on because I am the one that knows if I am ready. FOLLOW?

Secondly, if the belt is moving (as per the first sentence), why would anyone need to turn it on? Or are they referring to belts that can potentially move? Is there such a thing as a belt that cannot move?

Thirdly, it's just impractical. What if the person who turned off the belt has left the area or the building and we need the belt on? Do we go searching for him or call him back before we can resume the operation? Just a strange paragraph imo.

It is intended for safety reasons and theoretically who ever turned the belt off turned it off for a specific reason (IE: removing an over size or over weight) and will not be leaving the area as work is in progress.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Firstly, more often than not its workers turning the belts on and off, so this language will mostly just lead to workers being in violation of the contract.

Sounds to me as though you have yet to complete conveyor securing training. The basics of this training is that only the person (supervisor or hourly) who turned off a moving belt is allowed to turn it back on after the area is deemed secure. This is obviously for safety purposes. If this person's shift is supposed to end he/she is to stay until the area is deemed secure and the belt is turned back on.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I finally read through the proposal. I like the new language. It'll be interesting to see what the rest is going to be.