Union Activity 101

BrownShark

Banned
Check it out please, theres something in the new contract for the memorandum of understanding about part timers that says 3.5 hours but if you leave, you forefeit the 3 hour guarantee or something along those lines. When I went to my local's meeting about the new contract, I asked our pres. about that and he said "ohh well that must be a typo, the 3.5 hour gurantee if not changing."

Well, last time I checked if I turn in a greivance and management signs off on it and I greive for 4 hours of a sup working for example, and then 2 days later or whatever, I come back and say "Well crap, I wrote that wrong I MEANT 6 hours."

mmm..no..sorry. We signed off on 4. Just food for thought.

Fred,

On the MOU, indeed, the Union and Company have agreed that if a part time employee "finishes" his/her shift prior to the completion of his/her 3.5 guarantee, then the 3.5 daily guarantee is waived but it will not waive the 3.0 hour minimum.

This is IN THE NEW MASTER AGREEMENT.

Its not a typo and anyone who told you this is lying.

Peace.

Cole

A driver who has worked in year is likely to be making a huge amount of short cuts/ cutting lunch etc...not practising safe work methods, while a 25 yr driver knows their limits, etc... and the system, and when to call for help etc...Not to mention the wear and tear on their bodies after that amount of time.

Fred as long as you're within the time limits of the grievance, you can make a corrected copy, or corrections to the other copy etc...Just get them to inital both copies after you amend it.

O

ohio UPSer

I have no problem with everyone being able to express their opinions on this forum. In fact the only time I come here is during a contract year to try and get as much information as possible. That said I do not understand why on nearly every thread there are constant postings from some supposed management person (tie guy). The pro’s and con’s of the contract are a Union members business and NO one from management should be interfering in this discussion and process

moreluck

golden ticket member
OhioUpser.....no matter what capacity you serve at UPS, everybody has opinions. Everyone has the right to express their opinions on all subjects in this forum. At least Tie is a registered user at Browncafe and his opinions are respected here even if not everybody agrees with him.

I even have an opinion on the "union business" and I don't work at UPS. I am not prevented from posting my opinion either. I don't consider Tie as interfering, merely adding another dimension to the discussion.

Read around him if you don't like him commenting on union stuff.:cool:

Damok

I have no problem with everyone being able to express their opinions on this forum.

and

The pro’s and con’s of the contract are a Union members business and NO one from management should be interfering in this discussion and process

How do you reconcile those 2 statements?

satellitedriver

I have no problem with everyone being able to express their opinions on this forum. In fact the only time I come here is during a contract year to try and get as much information as possible. That said I do not understand why on nearly every thread there are constant postings from some supposed management person (tie guy). The pro’s and con’s of the contract are a Union members business and NO one from management should be interfering in this discussion and process
Maybe I am missing something?
You only come around when the contract is being negotiated.
Since the contract is negotiated between workers and management, why would you have a problem with someone from management expressing an opinion?
You want info, but, only from one side.
Not a very good way to get the big picture.
PAX

tieguy

Banned

If you read through my posts I think you'll see that I'm actually trying to stay away from the pro's and con's of the contract unless someone asks me a direct question on my opinion on something. You folks know I'm management and know I would obviously like to see the contract get settled and settled quickly. A waste of time for me to try to tell you to vote for the offer because I know you won't listen to me of all people.

I find the revolt against union leadership by some interesting. I also find the lack of trust against both union and manageement interesting. And sometimes I try to play devils advocate on some of the points made to better understand why some people feel the way they do.

And along the way I try to encourage people to keep an open mind through this trying time and to utilize all resources before making a decision.

If I've given any other impression it was not my intent.

browned out

If you read through my posts I think you'll see that I'm actually trying to stay away from the pro's and con's of the contract unless someone asks me a direct question on my opinion on something. You folks know I'm management and know I would obviously like to see the contract get settled and settled quickly. A waste of time for me to try to tell you to vote for the offer because I know you won't listen to me of all people.

I find the revolt against union leadership by some interesting. I also find the lack of trust against both union and manageement interesting. And sometimes I try to play devils advocate on some of the points made to better understand why some people feel the way they do.

And along the way I try to encourage people to keep an open mind through this trying time and to utilize all resources before making a decision.

If I've given any other impression it was not my intent.

At least he is representing who he is.

I'm sure tieguy is not the token management figure on this site.
Who else is management on this site? I will tell you that I am hourly.

ogrelord

Ground Down
[

Those folks have found its easier to make excuses and blame someone else for their short comings.

I'm sure most feel the same way about you too. You must not deal with hourlies or you talk to them dfferently when you work around them. Tie guy your the reason UPS has a work place violence policy. if you talk to your hourlies this way, you gotta jump in a package car to drive home. the fear you must get when you leave to walk to your car must be overwhelming. lighten up alittle, or is your job to run people off this board? Why do you have to be such an :censored2:? did your mom not love you enough? some people come here to find answers, and since your a SUP aka hilter of ups. you tell them the way you want it to be. Your not mike eskew. you take marching orders like the rest of us. so shut up and get in the back of the line.

Fredless

APWA Hater
I'm sure most feel the same way about you too. You must not deal with hourlies or you talk to them dfferently when you work around them. Tie guy your the reason UPS has a work place violence policy. if you talk to your hourlies this way, you gotta jump in a package car to drive home. the fear you must get when you leave to walk to your car must be overwhelming. lighten up alittle, or is your job to run people off this board? Why do you have to be such an :censored2:? did your mom not love you enough? some people come here to find answers, and since your a SUP aka hilter of ups. you tell them the way you want it to be. Your not mike eskew. you take marching orders like the rest of us. so shut up and get in the back of the line.

wow...that was almost as bad as Scooter's post. I still haven't gotten an answer about what the personal gains of being a steward are yet.

satellitedriver

Do you read what you write?
Obviously, you do take marching orders.
You post like a punk.

ogrelord

Ground Down
wow...that was almost as bad as Scooter's post. I still haven't gotten an answer about what the personal gains of being a steward are yet.
i don't know. i'm not a stward. would love to be one, but i have gotten a chance. i would think the gains would a smoother running center, fair and equal treatment for all. the satifaction of helping my brothers in the work place.

Cole

I am a steward, and though it has many headaches, but when you know your contract and your members are pretty involved, and you head off alot of the company's and the union's bs, that to me that is gain. Sometimes peeps leave you w/little to work, but you give your best as with all things.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
No personal gains other than feeling good about helping people sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't,and a lot of the time it goes unappreciated. All that matters is that you do your best.
Once in a while I feel like a defence attorney representing a felon who is guilty as sin.( Yes I am sure all locations have a few bad apples) To know and enforce the contract and make sure the company treats our members fairley is the good work we do.And please make no mistake about it without our union we would not have it as good!!!!!
:happy2:

Scooter1

Ok, Fredless here is your answer about your own personal gains, power, being the dictator, the king of the hub, showing others that you possess the supreme knowledge and shoving it down their throats when they are the most vuneralble. That is what you are exhibitting in the language you use to describe union members who come to you for assistance. You referred to our union brothers as "cry babies" and made the following statements when they expressed their concerns to you, "take it or leave it", "seek employment elsewhere if you don't like it", "get your ass back in the trailer." These are just some of the belittling comments you emphasized in caps, underline or in bold. Who made you king and what do you gain from using this language? I hate to break this to you, but you are not the "authority" in the union contract and the little you do know is wasted away due to your lack of tactfullness. As a stewart, you should expect different feedback from employees, both good and bad. Sure, not every one is going to have a valid grievance, but take the time to hear the employees concerns and give them other options. When you learn to talk and listen, you might discover that a particular employee "who you have labled as a cry baby" actually has a more serious underlining problem that is hidden in his/her frustration, such as serious personal problems or health issues that is interfering with their job duties. Next time you encounter a frustrated employee, take you time with them, give them options and talk to them professionally or you might find youself "Friendless" in the hub. The word gets around.

happy harry

I am a steward, and though it has many headaches, but when you know your contract and your members are pretty involved, and you head off alot of the company's and the union's bs, that to me that is gain. Sometimes peeps leave you w/little to work, but you give your best as with all things.

I have a lot of respect for shop stewards.(good ones) When I say that I mean the ones that come to work,does there job (a fair day's work) and just does the right thing. What is funny is that most employees want to do a good job and that most employees will be good employees when trained and evaluated the proper way. But there are always employees (bad apples) that come to work to hang out,bang out and just try to reap the rewards of there seniority. As an hourly i would always hate having to help them clean up there area,load trucks for them,break jams. But it was a shop stewards job to represent them so thats why i give them credit. I couldn't do it.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Ok, Fredless here is your answer about your own personal gains, power, being the dictator, the king of the hub, showing others that you possess the supreme knowledge and shoving it down their throats when they are the most vuneralble. That is what you are exhibitting in the language you use to describe union members who come to you for assistance.
Ok, know it all. If you think I project myself as a dictator of the hub and I'm immune to everything, you are grossly mistaken and one ignorant person. In fact, i'm due for a warning letter if I get a few more misloads. Thats the only thing they can get me on, I actually come to work every day I can and show up on time - WOW imagine that? That's what I meant by cry babies - those that ABUSE the union for thier own gains. Everyone here knows about people like this, the few bad apples. Good job taking that out of context.

You referred to our union brothers as "cry babies" and made the following statements when they expressed their concerns to you, "take it or leave it", "seek employment elsewhere if you don't like it", "get your ass back in the trailer."
Did you not go through the same orientation as I did? I'm sorry, the truth hurts. I don't lie to people. This is not an easy job, and you also would make a good democrat. You take one thing and totally blow it out of proportion.

Seek employment elsewhere was meant if you don't like that you have to work hard and cannot respect that seniority is everything, then yes, seek employment elsewhere or go into management. Truth hurts doesn't it?

These are just some of the belittling comments you emphasized in caps, underline or in bold. Who made you king and what do you gain from using this language? I hate to break this to you, but you are not the "authority" in the union contract and the little you do know is wasted away due to your lack of tactfullness. As a stewart, you should expect different feedback from employees, both good and bad. Sure, not every one is going to have a valid grievance, but take the time to hear the employees concerns and give them other options. When you learn to talk and listen, you might discover that a particular employee "who you have labled as a cry baby" actually has a more serious underlining problem that is hidden in his/her frustration, such as serious personal problems or health issues that is interfering with their job duties. Next time you encounter a frustrated employee, take you time with them, give them options and talk to them professionally or you might find youself "Friendless" in the hub. The word gets around.

Ok whatever. Anytime anyone else wants to ever step up to the plate like I have and thinks they can do a better job, please by all means take over for me. Not caring? The amount of gas I've spent going to the union hall, the amount of times I've stayed late or coming early to settle greivances and not to mention my cell phone bill dealing with the members issues(was 115 dollars last month versus the usual 62)...if you think for one second being a steward has gained me anything, you're out of your mind. If anything, it has cost me money, time and stress. Once again, if anyone were to come to me and tell me I'm doing a bad job (which they haven't, yet) and they want to take over for me - i'd immediately take the steps with my B.A. to get them to replace me.

And one last thing, relax. This is the internet. If you are this judgemental of someone thats on the internet, I'd hate to see you in real life.

Fredless

APWA Hater
Back on topic...

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/problem-fixed.121066/

This is awesome advice for nearly all situations. Our local sends out a little calendar book every year, keep it with you. I keep track of my time with it and use the manual time clocks in the building. It greatly helps your case with time issues, harassment, any contract violations, witnesses and attendance issues.

Taking a little responsibility (like the linked poster has) on your part can go a long way and save you a ton of headaches in the future.