Union/Corporate

ZJ NOMAD

UPSER110: Talking about putting in 5+ yrs part time to get benefits. I knew people that put in 25+ full time years only to get told at the drop of a dime that their job was being outsourced to India because they would work for $35 a week with no benefits. It would have been nice for them if they would have had a union supporting them.

It sounds to me like you are whining about your corporate job at UPS, so why don't you start working union for UPS, and see how things work when your union. I have been 7 years as a union UPS employee, and I have atleast 5 more years to go before they even consider me for full time- meanwhile UPS supervisors are not your typical regular job sups, they always try to push the work, there numbers are more important than any harrasment they carry on towards the union employee. Most of my union brothers, and sisters have to learn how to endure the harrasment, and hardship that is cast upon us for many years.

So when a union employee opens his mouth, it is not called whining - better said it is called defending our rights!, and also called enforcing the legal binding contract between UPS, and the Teamsters. Trust me we work hard enough, for everything that we get, and it is only right to enforce the contract, and respect our seniority, that is all we have here at UPS.

OPTION3

I've watched this site for quite some time. And as a 13 year UPS corporate employee, I would like to make one comment. UPS Union employees appear to be a much whiner bunch of employees than Non-Union employees. Has anyone in the union watched 180 of their fellow coworkers get laid off in one day, while the majority of their work was outsourced to India? No. Because not only do you have the benefits of having a local job, you also have the Union on your side. So please just think about the other UPS'ers that are less fortunate before you complain here about something petty. Thank you.

SOUNDS like YOU need a UNION!

worldwide

Jackburton: I've been in pkg and understand the brotherhood of the Teamsters. Bottom line was, I couldn't move up in the organization on the pkg side like I could on the corporate side.

Sounds like you made a decision based on what you thought was best for you and your family at that time. At this point you can continue with that decision or make a change since the situation at UPS (and the world) has changed. If being in the union is something that looks more appealing to you, there is nothing preventing you from making a job change (within or outside of UPS). While being empathatic to fellow workers whose jobs have changed is a nice quality, it does not change the reality of the world economy.

UPS is not a unique corporation - it will do what it has to to grow and prosper - that is its primary obligations to shareholders. If moving a call center to India or Honduras helps to achieve those goals, so be it. Technology is changing the world and job needs at every company. Employees can adapt to the changes (which may require new skills, additional education, a change in assignment or even a change in employers) or can do nothing and then be surprised when their job is changed or eliminated.

If your current job situation is not meeting your current or futture needs, what are you doing about it (besides posting on BC)?

thessalonian13

Jackburton: And if there were not so many damaged, mis-sorted, or just straight up missing packages, We wouldn't have to deal with pissed off customers as much. Face it, when things don't go like they are supposed to, the customer can't complain to their driver to get any type of retribution.
We drivers do not damage the packages. WE GET THEM THAT WAY!!!! Then we have to explain to the customers how their pkg got crushed/mangled etc. Our job now is to fix all of management's screw ups every day from preload to dispatch on top of trying to deliver safely and on time.

tiredofhelping

Who do you think they complain to next time we see them? Who do you think goes out and does followups? Who has to explain why were are allowed to deliver at 900pm because someone in corporate only wants to run XX amount of routes? Drivers

Who declares we start preload 30 mins later to save $4.25 hr while we have $32.00 hr employees waiting to leave while crap is coming down the belt? Who creates reports about reports that failed to meet reports about fictitious numbers some kid in a cubicle decided based on google maps? Corporate[/QUOTE]

BOOM!! This may just be the best post I have ever read here. Well said!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Im not dogging you personally blee cause i dont know ya, you mite be a real cool dude but those numbnutts down at corporate are the ones who screw everything up every every single day for us drivers. Where do you think all these stupid ideas that ups comes up with that they waste millions of dollars on things and systems that just dont work out here in the real world of delivery. They dont care about us they sit on their lazy asses behind a desk all day and come up with idiot ideas especially these nerdball IT guys. 1 day in the package car would send those numbnutts home crying like a lil girl to their mammies dude. Thanks to corporate we get beat down like slaves everyday with never enough drivers or routes in. And one of the most important things for most of us we never get enough time to spend with our families because corporate works us like dogs, and to be honest witcha why the hell we start so darn late in the morning like really dude let those idiots be us for a day and get home at 8 9 10 every night. See how they like that. If you dont know the the bullcrap we deal with every day and dont live it everyday why comment on it. They know but its all about their selfishness and their fake numbers. Selfish is one of the worst things in life people can be, and I HATE SELFISH PEOPLE.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Today I ran 15 more stops than usual, in 90 degree heat with 100% humidity due to routes being cut. I spent a large chunk of the day thinking about the poor bastids in Corporate who sit in the airconditioning,and felt very badly for them

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Exactly and you will probably have management harass you and highlight your numbers over. Im thinking to myself your trippin on make believe numbers while im out here trying to not die in 95 to 100 degree weather you know what im saying dude screw those guys.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I've watched this site for quite some time. And as a 13 year UPS corporate employee, I would like to make one comment. UPS Union employees appear to be a much whiner bunch of employees than Non-Union employees. Has anyone in the union watched 180 of their fellow coworkers get laid off in one day, while the majority of their work was outsourced to India? No. Because not only do you have the benefits of having a local job, you also have the Union on your side. So please just think about the other UPS'ers that are less fortunate before you complain here about something petty. Thank you.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I would like to thank you UPS corporate for getting me home at 930 tonight now my day actually starts for myself. Nice fat 14 hour day. Left da house at 730 and home at 930, once again thank you for not allowing me to have a life mon thru fri much obliged jerknutts lol.

I would like to thank you UPS corporate for getting me home at 930 tonight now my day actually starts for myself. Nice fat 14 hour day. Left da house at 730 and home at 930, once again thank you for not allowing me to have a life mon thru fri much obliged jerknutts lol.
Skip your lunch and get home at 830...Just kidding..............Its a good job.but sometimes they forget we are people! I wonder why drivers OPT IN??

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder

As a Steward for longer than you've been with the Company, I would say that most Drivers don't whine or even complain that much. You get a lot of "can they do that?" kind of questions from the general workforce, mostly things that don't have to do with the Contract & are just general Stupid Boss/Stupid Corporate Policy kind of things. From about 10% you have habitual complainers who are well versed in the Contract and some of those are trying to game the system, so they have issues. 5% of those have serious issues and would fall into the category of "whiners" although sometimes it's because they are holding a serious chip on their shoulder due to past wrongs (perceived or real) by the Company or the Union & will do anything possible for revenge.
The ones that bother me are the ones that never complain but when Retirement rolls around they grab the cake the Company had made for them to share and waltz right out the door. Really? Something was just simmering inside you for 30+ years and on the last day you act out?
THAT group and the preceeding one are IMO the ones that make it onto Brown Cafe, as they either are happy to vent 24/7 or won't do it at work so they do it here. So I wouldn't characterize the majority of bargaining unit members as "whiners" by any means.

What might seem like whining on the shop floor is really just having a voice in your work rules. One or two might be whining but when most of your crew has an issue with some policy you can work with Management and develop a procedure that accomodates the needs of both parties. It doesn't always have to be "their way or the highway" when you have a Union.

Not sure which workers were outsourced but we were never happy when who you call to find your package was changed from local workers to a centralized corporate number. I think it was called CSPC. You used to be able to get something to happen very quickly back when it was a local 602 area code you called, and that was when all we had were pagers. Of course, local control to be creative was killed off pretty much all throughout the Company.

purplesky

Thanks UPSER110. It just pisses me off to hear Obama talk about keeping jobs in the US, while UPS continues to send them overseas

And just think AMERICA almost elected the REPUBLICAN candidate TWITT ROBME for president. A man who made a fortune outsourcing American jobs to other countries.:wink2:

Hopefully Americans will wake up and realize that they are going to have to stand up and fight the corporate capitolism that now runs America.

Notice how all the wing nuts blame the fall of detroit only on the unions? They dont mention the free trade and corp. greed job outsourcing that has been going on for decades.

This effects all workers. White collar and blue collar. Not only just union workers. Sorry to hear about your job.