Union dues/initiation fees and Union rights?

Tkdgeehun

So I'm searching all over the forum and I can't seem to find a solid answer for my questions. So I apologize if I'm asking questions that have already been answered.

1. I just viewed my paycheck today and they deducted $60. $35 for Union Initiation fee and $25 for Union dues. I thought they didn't deduct both fees at the same time. So...I'm left with $49 now.

2. How much are Union dues and initiation fees at the St. Paul Hub in Minnesota? I remember the HR rep telling us how much it was, but I don't remember.

3. What does the Union do for me? Is Minnesota a right to work state? Do I have to be part of the Union?

Thank you all in advance.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call the union hall and ask them how to withdraw from the union. Request a refund of the initiation fee and union dues that you have paid thus far.

My advice would be far different if you were planning on making this your career.

LagunaBrown

The Union is a membership not a service. Together we bargained full befefits for part time work and protection of members rights in the daily operation. My advice is pay your dues, ask for raise on the next contract and be a part of the team. If you want a free ride from paying dues go into management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Union is a membership not a service. Together we bargained full befefits for part time work and protection of members rights in the daily operation. My advice is pay your dues, ask for raise on the next contract and be a part of the team. If you want a free ride from paying dues go into management.

This is just a job for the OP. I agree with you if this is going to be his career but it is not so why should he "invest" all of this money when he won't see any "return" on his "investment"?

union4life

To the OP: I want to welcome and thank you for joining The International Botherhood of Teamsters. I know this is just a job to you and hope that no matter how much time you spend at UPS you will come to realize what a great opportunity this is for you.

Since you applied for the job, I can only imagine the reason for your interest in this position would be the Health and Welfare Benefits that are extended to you as a part-timer. I ask that you always remain conscience of the efforts and sacrifices of the Teamsters that came before you and continue to pay your dues whether you make a career of this opportunity or simply pass through the system. Please do your part to ensure the jobs at UPS remain strong and in demand.

I am not familiar with your regional contract suppliment but I am sure that the Teammsters have negotiated well for you to help accomidate your working conditions and work in conjuction with The National Master Agreement. Remember, for everything you have in your contract, something was traded. In other words, just because you don't see the vaue in it yet doesn't mean it didn't cost something to someone.

My advice to you would be to find your Union Steward and find out when the next Local Union meeting will be. If possible, see if he/she can get you a copy of the contract. If he/she can't, I'm sure the Local Union can provide you with a copy. While your at it, ask for a copy of your Local's By-Laws. There is a wealth of information in that as well.

union4life

How do women stand to be a member of a "brotherhood" ??? It's a sexist title.
Yep, it can certainly be viewed that way. Not to long ago I remember reading in the Teamster's magazine of a few "new" different titles to help with this perception.

To answer your question, women simply need to sign up and pay their dues. Voila, they are now dues paying members of our "botherhood".

Merriam-Webster defines "brotherhood" as:1
2: fellowship, alliance
3: an association (as a labor union or monastic society) for a particular purpose
4: the whole body of persons engaged in a business or profession

See brotherhood defined for English-language learners »

See brotherhood defined for kids »

Examples of BROTHERHOOD

• <they're a brotherhood of retired war veterans>
  • <a family that has been part of the brotherhood of police officers for four generations>

Origin of BROTHERHOOD

Middle English brotherhede, brotherhod, alteration of brotherrede, from Old English brōthorrǣden, from brōthor + rǣden condition — kindred First Known Use: 14th century

moreluck

golden ticket member
I wonder if all you guys would be happy if it was called the Sisterhood of Teamsters.....and if your rationale and explanations would go out the window then. Just thinkin' out loud.

union4life

Hmm....according to Merriam-Webster, "sisterhood" doesn't really fit the "idea" as well as "brotherhood".

sis·ter·hood

noun \-ˌhu̇d\

Definition of SISTERHOOD

a: the state of being a sister b: sisterly relationship

: a community or society of sisters; especially: a society of women in a religious order

: the solidarity of women based on shared conditions, experiences, or concerns

See sisterhood defined for English-language learners »

See sisterhood defined for kids »

Examples of SISTERHOOD

• The bonds of sisterhood have helped unite women to fight for social equality.

First Known Use of SISTERHOOD

14th century

LagunaBrown

Sexist? That's what you have to offer in this post? The Teamsters have a women's coalition and have addressed many issues for women throughout history. Our actions are unity and rights for the common American regardless of race, age and gender. Please don't misrepresent the Teamsters. Are you a member?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Sexist? That's what you have to offer in this post? The Teamsters have a women's coalition and have addressed many issues for women throughout history. Our actions are unity and rights for the common American regardless of race, age and gender. Please don't misrepresent the Teamsters. Are you a member?
Mine was just a question about the name.

I used to be a member of the Communication Workers of America (CWA).................that name doesn't specify telephone, operators, lineman, secretaries or repair people. Men, women, it doesn't matter.

United Rubber Workers......no male or female specifications. I just find it strange to have a name like that.....brotherhood.
No I'm not a member and have never worked at UPS. If I had,I wouldn't have joined the union.

guzzi71

Can do it when I get around to it.
sisterhood (plural sisterhoods)

1. the state, or kinship of being sisters
  2. the quality of being sisterly; sisterly companionship
  3. a religious society of women
Translations
state of being sisters​
Select targeted languages

• Croatian: sèstrīnstvo (hr) n.
  • Dutch: zusterschap (nl) friend.
  • Finnish: sisaruus (fi)
French: sororité (fr)
  • Swedish: systerskap (sv) c.
Add translation : More
  • masc. fem. neuter common gender plural

Transliteration: (e.g. ázbuka for азбука)Page name: (e.g. amo for amō)
    Qualifier: (e.g. literally, formally, slang)
    Script template: (e.g. Cyrl for Cyrillic, Latn for Latin)

Nesting: (e.g. Norwegian/Nynorsk)
quality of being sisterly
  • Croatian: sèstrīnstvo (hr) n.
  • Dutch: zusterschap (nl) friend.
  • Finnish: sisaruus (fi)

• French: sororité (fr)
  • Swedish: systerskap (sv) c.

• Add translation : More
    masc. fem. neuter common gender plural

Transliteration: (e.g. ázbuka for азбука)Page name: (e.g. amo for amō)
    Qualifier: (e.g. literally, formally, slang)
    Script template: (e.g. Cyrl for Cyrillic, Latn for Latin)

Nesting: (e.g. Norwegian/Nynorsk)

religious society of women​

Tkdgeehun

To the OP: I want to welcome and thank you for joining The International Botherhood of Teamsters. I know this is just a job to you and hope that no matter how much time you spend at UPS you will come to realize what a great opportunity this is for you.

Since you applied for the job, I can only imagine the reason for your interest in this position would be the Health and Welfare Benefits that are extended to you as a part-timer. I ask that you always remain conscience of the efforts and sacrifices of the Teamsters that came before you and continue to pay your dues whether you make a career of this opportunity or simply pass through the system. Please do your part to ensure the jobs at UPS remain strong and in demand.

I am not familiar with your regional contract suppliment but I am sure that the Teammsters have negotiated well for you to help accomidate your working conditions and work in conjuction with The National Master Agreement. Remember, for everything you have in your contract, something was traded. In other words, just because you don't see the vaue in it yet doesn't mean it didn't cost something to someone.

My advice to you would be to find your Union Steward and find out when the next Local Union meeting will be. If possible, see if he/she can get you a copy of the contract. If he/she can't, I'm sure the Local Union can provide you with a copy. While your at it, ask for a copy of your Local's By-Laws. There is a wealth of information in that as well.

Just to be clear, I have no problems of doing my part for the Union. I think its a good thing. I just wanted to know how long I will continue making$40 paycheck until the fees are paid off.

All is good now, I have talked to my PT supervisor and he cleared everything up for me. I'm good.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Mine was just a question about the name.

I used to be a member of the Communication Workers of America (CWA).................that name doesn't specify telephone, operators, lineman, secretaries or repair people. Men, women, it doesn't matter.

United Rubber Workers......no male or female specifications. I just find it strange to have a name like that.....brotherhood.
No I'm not a member and have never worked at UPS. If I had,I wouldn't have joined the union.

Why do you post here?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I answered Bubbles' question already.

Cheryl posts and you don't give her hell and she never worked for UPS. So go play with your new puppy!!