Union Dues

rod

Retired 22 years
And don't forget to deduct that new wing that you put on your church or the $10,000 dollars in tax deducible raffle tickets you bought last year or the 10 pair of $200.00 work boots or etc. etc. etc.:peaceful:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You can deduct any unreimbursed job expenses, which include union dues, maintenance of uniforms (I use $10/week), shoes, socks, gloves, thermals. Cell phone if used for company is deductible but I don't use that one as that would be neglible. Works out to just under $2K.

You will not see a dollar for dollar reduction of your tax bill through this deduction. The reduction will be a % based upon your individual tax situation.

You can deduct any unreimbursed job expenses, which include union dues, maintenance of uniforms (I use $10/week), shoes, socks, gloves, thermals. Cell phone if used for company is deductible but I don't use that one as that would be neglible. Works out to just under $2K.

You will not see a dollar for dollar reduction of your tax bill through this deduction. The reduction will be a % based upon your individual tax situation.
I figure mine with the deductions every year before I try the short form. I always end up with the short form.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I figure mine with the deductions every year before I try the short form. I always end up with the short form.

I used to use Turbo Tax but switched to Tax Cut this year. My kids use the free Turbo Tax online software, which allows them not only to prepare their taxes for free but also offers free e-file for AGI below $30K. What is nice is that you can see instantly whether to itemize or take the standard deduction.

P

pickup

It would be my understanding if the phone were exclusively used for business purposes, that it would be 100% deductible. but if you used it for 10 minutes a month used it for mostly personal and you did not exceed your plan's limits, business purposes then cost you nothing. Just my way of looking at it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would be my understanding if the phone were exclusively used for business purposes, that it would be 100% deductible. but if you used it for 10 minutes a month used it for mostly personal and you did not exceed your plan's limits, business purposes then cost you nothing. Just my way of looking at it.

Mine as well which is why I don't even consider it to be a deduction.

satellitedriver

if you wash your uniforms a maintenance (laundry) fee can be deducted.
How about the soap and water used to wash off your hands and arms?
(not to mention your face)
That black stuff ( aluminum oxide) takes,at least, three scrubbing's to get clean enough, to be clean enough, to take a bath.
Going long form, for deductions, means you are in debt.
I will stick with the short form.

How about the soap and water used to wash off your hands and arms?
(not to mention your face)
That black stuff ( aluminum oxide) takes,at least, three scrubbing's to get clean enough, to be clean enough, to take a bath.
I will stick with the short form.
Or you have a crapper load of medical bills, either way I prefer the short form.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In lawyer speak, you are assuming facts not in evidence.

I will agree that this was most likely the case when we used to be able to deduct the interest on our credit cards.

I use the long form each year. When both my kids were in college the additional deductions for tuition expense came in handy, along with mortgage interest, unreimbursed job expenses and the other deductions that are written in to the tax law for a reason, not just because we are in debt. Taking the standard deduction just to be able to use the short form would cheat me out of deductions which I am entitled to.

If you are paying interest on credit cards or on a mortgage means you are in debt.
With all the legal deductions I have it is still a higher return with the standard deduction.