Union Dues

MikeWhite614

Hello, I have been having a problem with my local the past 2 months. They have been charging me 5 times my hourly rate for union dues that past 2 months, which is double the rate I should be paying.

I have also been having trouble finding the article about union dues in the contract. To be honest, I don't even know if I have the whole contract, every time I ask my union steward for a copy of the new contract, he tells me to go online and get it...

Links wont work because of stupid posting rules :(

This is what I found online, I don't think it is the whole contract though. I have also not found a single thing about union dues in this portion of the contract yet, except this.

Article 4. Stewards
(b) The collection of dues when authorized by appropriate Local
Union action

I am pretty sure that article is just legal stuff to make sure UPS can't interfere with the unions job, such as collecting union dues but I have yet to find anything that explains how much the union can charge and situations that would cause them to over charge. Which they have been doing to me.

I was hoping you guys could shed some light on this for me.

Maybe you could point me to the right portion of the contract that states union due stuff. I just can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your time.

MikeWhite614

So the link I tried to post was on the teamsters website, was 32 pages long and was labeled "NATIONAL MASTER UNITED PARCEL SERVICE AGREEMENT"

Is this the whole contract?

upschuck

Have you called the local? Most places it is 2.5x. The contract won't have specifics as to rate. My guess is that they missed a couple months and it is being made up now. Only way to know for sure is to call the hall.

MikeWhite614

If the contract doesn't have specific rates, then where are they?

I mean according to that, they could charge what ever they wanted.. because the contract doesn't specify.

-edit- and no I have not talked to them yet, I tried to call them today but I got a voicemail.

MikeWhite614

No idea, I don't write them checks, they take it out of my paychecks.

I am more interested in where it says they can do this other than the reason why they are.

MikeWhite614

Well, like I said I want to know where it says that they can do this.

Also I do not pay them directly, they take it out of my checks.

They probably didn't take dues out of a check or something, but that is not my fault and I feel they shouldn't take almost half of my paycheck because they screwed up.

If I paid them instead of them handling it, something like this wouldn't happen but they have complete control over this and I can't do anything to make sure they are taking union dues when they should be.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well, like I said I want to know where it says that they can do this.

Also I do not pay them directly, they take it out of my checks.

They probably didn't take dues out of a check or something, but that is not my fault and I feel they shouldn't take almost half of my paycheck because they screwed up.

If I paid them instead of them handling it, something like this wouldn't happen but they have complete control over this and I can't do anything to make sure they are taking union dues when they should be.
Call the union hall....and look up your paystubs on upsers.com. You should be able to tell if they didn't take dues out on a particular week.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The amount of Union dues will be set in your locals bi laws not in the contract as the company has nothing to do with it. If the amount taken out is incorrect the Local Union secretary can look it up and can make a correction. If you missed some payments due to missing some weeks at work or vacation, or an error by either the company or the Union in collecting them, they will take the dues out until caught up.

Also if you recently joined the Union there is an initiation fee that will be taken out as well until it is paid in full. The only way to know what is going on is to call the Union Hall and ask.

You signed an agreement when you joined the Union to allow them to take dues directly from your check. It is called Dues Checkoff. It is not a requirement. You can self pay if you wish.

MikeWhite614

The amount of Union dues will be set in your locals bi laws not in the contract as the company has nothing to do with it. If the amount taken out is incorrect the Local Union secretary can look it up and can make a correction. If you missed some payments due to missing some weeks at work or vacation, or an error by either the company or the Union in collecting them, they will take the dues out until caught up.

Also if you recently joined the Union there is an initiation fee that will be taken out as well until it is paid in full. The only way to know what is going on is to call the Union Hall and ask.

You signed an agreement when you joined the Union to allow them to take dues directly from your check. It is called Dues Checkoff. It is not a requirement. You can self pay if you wish.

Thank you so much, this is exactly what I have been looking for!

Fullhouse

We're you out any length of time due an injury or FMLA? Sounds like to me they are trying to catch you up. The amount of dues is cited in the teamster constitution and can only be change during a convention that takes place every 5 years. For those of us that have been UPS since the 90 ' will remember the dues increase in 2001 from 2% to 2.5%. Courtesy of Hoffa and Keegle.

MikeWhite614

We're you out any length of time due an injury or FMLA? Sounds like to me they are trying to catch you up. The amount of dues is cited in the teamster constitution and can only be change during a convention that takes place every 5 years. For those of us that have been UPS since the 90 ' will remember the dues increase in 2001 from 2% to 2.5%. Courtesy of Hoffa and Keegle.
Nope.
I figured out what happened, over a year ago, someone somewhere screwed up and I had not been paying union dues, so I told 2 stewards about it and they assured me that they would fix it. They apparently never did and I have not been paying dues since. I have been paying back the dues I owe from the past year.

Now a new problem arises, I might have a hearing coming up and if I get fired, what will happen to the dues I still owe? Will the union try to get the back dues I owe them after the fact? Also, will I get representation for the hearing if I owe the union money?

One more question, will I have to pay initiation fees again? or just the back dues?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The union will represent you to the best of their ability whether you are paid up or are behind a few months.

I am not 100% sure but I think they would write off the dues that you owe if you do end up losing your job. Hopefully someone with much more knowledge on this topic will read this and be able to give a more definitive answer.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Nope.
I figured out what happened, over a year ago, someone somewhere screwed up and I had not been paying union dues, so I told 2 stewards about it and they assured me that they would fix it. They apparently never did and I have not been paying dues since. I have been paying back the dues I owe from the past year.

Now a new problem arises, I might have a hearing coming up and if I get fired, what will happen to the dues I still owe? Will the union try to get the back dues I owe them after the fact? Also, will I get representation for the hearing if I owe the union money?

One more question, will I have to pay initiation fees again? or just the back dues?

(In my best Paul Harvey voice): And now, the rest of the story.

I believe you will be represented at you hearing.

I doubt you will have to pay initiation fees again.

If you get fired, who cares about back dues.

Best of luck!