Union has decided to change contract "interpretation"

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Although I "paid my dues on the inside" for 6 years before going driving, I don't agree with your belief.My observations is that the people hired off the street are generally superior intellectually and in business acumen.Of course, we may be judging them based on different expectations and goals.
I've seen a few off the street hires hang it up, long before an inside employee ever would.

C

chuchu

I've seen a few off the street hires hang it up, long before an inside employee ever would.

I was hired off the street in 1995 when we had "self directed" work groups. They sent me to an 8 hr. "school" that had NO diad training (nor diad training manuals) and the instructor didn't even know how to use a diad. I was trained on route for TWO days by a driver and then I was on my own. I lost 18 lbs in my first 30 days (went from 170lbs to 152lbs) but I qualified. I am glad I was trained by a driver or I may have not qualified or even stayed. I've learned alot about UPS management since that period and can say the honeymoon was over within 90 days after my trial period. It is discouraging to remember how the job looked from the outside versus what really happens to employees on the inside....especially since UPS stock went public. We must protect and promote seniority issues because without seniority protection and decent pay/benefits this job would not be worth the hassle we get. P.S./Our customers rely on us and appreciate us for consistantly taking care of THEIR businesses and that is what UPS employees are all about. As much as we can, we need to fight to keep our routes consistant or we will digress to our competitors service levels and eventually lose the one thing that made UPS strong, being reliable and timely every day.

hembone

I was hired off the street in 1995 when we had "self directed" work groups. They sent me to an 8 hr. "school" that had NO diad training (nor diad training manuals) and the instructor didn't even know how to use a diad. I was trained on route for TWO days by a driver and then I was on my own. I lost 18 lbs in my first 30 days (went from 170lbs to 152lbs) but I qualified. I am glad I was trained by a driver or I may have not qualified or even stayed. I've learned alot about UPS management since that period and can say the honeymoon was over within 90 days after my trial period. It is discouraging to remember how the job looked from the outside versus what really happens to employees on the inside....especially since UPS stock went public. We must protect and promote seniority issues because without seniority protection and decent pay/benefits this job would not be worth the hassle we get. P.S./Our customers rely on us and appreciate us for consistantly taking care of THEIR businesses and that is what UPS employees are all about. As much as we can, we need to fight to keep our routes consistant or we will digress to our competitors service levels and eventually lose the one thing that made UPS strong, being reliable and timely every day.

Losing 18 lbs. in 30 days doesn't sound like much of a honeymoon to me.

C

chuchu

Or she could cook in the bedroom daily.
Actually I was "cooked" in that brown rolling bakery...it was August 5th when my 30 day trial period started. Hosed with no kiss basically. And to make it even better, they gave me a 1967 P8 with plywood shelves and no "lips" on the shelving to keep the packages off the floor. Every time I turned a corner and heard packages falling on the floor all I could think of was "duplicate stop-darn it"! I also had concerns the company was going bankrupt. Why else would a company of that size make an employee drive a 28 year old piece of junk with no power steering and a Lightning Bolt emblem in the center of the steering wheel?! Pretty embarrasing. The "honeymoon" statement referred to the relationship between the management and me that was destroyed due the way I was talked to and the issue becoming apparent to me that everything that goes wrong in my work area is MY fault. I guess I was used to management where I used to work that were normal human beings and I got the feeling I needed to bring my lawyer to work with me every day.:sick:

Last edited by a moderator:

20_years_in

...the relationship between the management and me that was destroyed due the way I was talked to and the issue becoming apparent to me that everything that goes wrong in my work area is MY fault. I guess I was used to management where I used to work that were normal human beings and I got the feeling I needed to bring my lawyer to work with me every day.:sick:

You must have had the same Center Manager that I have now! I work precisely as I was trained, but for some reason he finds me irksome. Given all of the parameters under which I am directed to work, it is impossible to make standard (i.e. run scratch) or otherwise make him look good on paper.
I suppose I am supposed to lock myself in my package car during my breaks and sort (call it a "secret sort" LOL), arrive to work early and pick misroutes out of my load or spend my break driving to my next stop? No thanks, boss. Seriously, I would be afraid of getting discharged for working or driving on my break time.
Whatever happened to the Employee Response Index (ERI)? I have my center manager's review all ready to go!

menotyou

bella amicizia
They use to sneak people with less than 30 days into a room to do the ERI. They wouldn't let anyone with more time do it because they feared the outcome. That ERI, if it comes back will probably be used against us in some way no normal human could ever dream up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I am really getting tired if you saying that everything I am saying is untrue. What part isn't to your liking? I didn't realize you worked at Black River. The last two years of they most certainly did sneak the new hires in. Our front door was rotating because our turn over is so high. Heather should have just moved in. Becky was up almost as much. I didn't even know we had the ERI until I read it on upsers.com. This my last two years on Preload. And, as far as what they will do next, that is my opinion, obviously.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Again, these are things you Could review with you local prez. It is Your choice not to because you would rather sit here and antagonize me. Go get you big boy pants on and get to work.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The ERI has been changed to where only random employees are currently taking it. There is no way that only "under 30 day" employees were "randomly" chosen. Much the same as there was no way that 4 drivers were at the only stop sign at the same time, or that a loader loaded 12.5 pkgs/min on to 6.5 pkg cars or that the company intentionally hurt you. Your tales of Pyscho Suzie, while comical, lack credibility. You are selling us a bill of goods that I for one am just not buying. Dave.

menotyou

bella amicizia
And, since psycho doesn't work here anymore, her name is *******. But, I'm sure I'm lying about that, too. Go back to your perfect bubble of goodness in Plattsburg, where you don't even use American power.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Try googling ********** story about what occurs at Black River. If the attorney general hadn't stepped in, you would say he was lying about red tags being ripped off trucks.Upstate:"nice story, very comical. That would never happen at UPS."

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The ERI has been changed to where only random employees are currently taking it. There is no way that only "under 30 day" employees were "randomly" chosen. Much the same as there was no way that 4 drivers were at the only stop sign at the same time, or that a loader loaded 12.5 pkgs/min on to 6.5 pkg cars or that the company intentionally hurt you. Your tales of Pyscho Suzie, while comical, lack credibility. You are selling us a bill of goods that I for one am just not buying. Dave.

IN package, those "random" choices translate into those drivers who favor the current management team. I personally have never been asked to take the ERI in my center as well as many others. We are a 95 man center. Less than 20 guys EVER take the ERI when it comes to our center. Many of us have asked to take it but are denied.

The ERI is just another tool that the company created to gauge progress only to have it corrupted by the operators like every other indicator in the system.

Unfortunately, the company is too dumb to know the difference.

Peace.