Union or Non-Union Career?

PT Car Washer

It violates the contract if they don't follow the 6:1 hiring quota. So they can say only green people can bid on driving job, and since there are no green people that work for UPS, that they can hire all people from the outside. That rule has been superseded many a times.
The rule has been grieved and lost. Package car driver that took an Art 22.3 job preload/air driver decided he wanted to go into feeders. Nope. PTers grieved it and lost. Must have one year safe driving in the package car classification before bidding into Feeders.

upschuck

The rule has been grieved and lost. Package car driver that took an Art 22.3 job preload/air driver decided he wanted to go into feeders. Nope. PTers grieved it and lost. Must have one year safe driving in the package car classification before bidding into Feeders.
Did they hire that position from the outside or another inside person?

wayfair

swollen member

for your supplement.. we've had a whole lot of art 22.3 guys go into feeders this year

PT Car Washer

Did they hire that position from the outside or another inside person?
If no one inside the company is qualified the company has to hire from the outside. You don't just get the job by seniority alone. You have to be qualified. Would you hire a high seniority smalls sorter who bid on a mechanics job solely because she had seniority?

upschuck

If no one inside the company is qualified the company has to hire from the outside. You don't just get the job by seniority alone. You have to be qualified. Would you hire a high seniority smalls sorter who bid on a mechanics job solely because she had seniority?
Apples and oranges, by your lack of answer, I'm assuming another inside.

PT Car Washer

Apples and oranges, by your lack of answer, I'm assuming another inside.
Not apples and oranges. Big difference between driving a delivery truck and a 53' Feeder or a set of doubles. We don't have triples in my state. And just having seniority does not mean you will pass the course. Many qualified people fail the Feeder course or the CDL test.

upschuck

Not apples and oranges. Big difference between driving a delivery truck and a 53' Feeder or a set of doubles. We don't have triples in my state. And just having seniority does not mean you will pass the course. Many qualified people fail the Feeder course or the CDL test.
Yes, apples and oranges. Feeders, UPS trains you for a week, mechanics would take over a year to train.

With the big difference in driving the two vehicles, what difference does that make if you have experience for a year? Not a safety question.

PT Car Washer

Yes, apples and oranges. Feeders, UPS trains you for a week, mechanics would take over a year to train.

With the big difference in driving the two vehicles, what difference does that make if you have experience for a year? Not a safety question.
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really believe there is no difference between driving a delivery vehicle around town or driving Feeder equipment hundreds of miles everyday in all kinds of weather.

upschuck

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or if you really believe there is no difference between driving a delivery vehicle around town or driving Feeder equipment hundreds of miles everyday in all kinds of weather.
What I am saying is that the difference is so big that a year safe driving in PC has no effect on feeder driving, so you made my point.

Where did I say there is no difference between the two?

PT Car Washer

What I am saying is that the difference is so big that a year safe driving in PC has no effect on feeder driving, so you made my point.

Where did I say there is no difference between the two?
I agree having one year safe driving does not make you a pro. Very few package car drivers go to Feeders in their second year. Even if you do get the opportunity to go to Feeder school it does not guarantee you will pass. Still better then letting granny in smalls attempt to waste every ones time because she has seniority. The fact is this has all been grieved and UPS won.

upschuck

I agree having one year safe driving does not make you a pro. Very few package car drivers go to Feeders in their second year. Even if you do get the opportunity to go to Feeder school it does not guarantee you will pass. Still better then letting granny in smalls attempt to waste every ones time because she has seniority. The fact is this has all been grieved and UPS won.
Which goes back to, was the substitute an inside or outside hire? I contend the violation is the ratio, the outside guys don't have a year safe driving in PC either.

On a side note, our 22.3's and air drivers grieved that they are actually drivers, and should get safe driving years, and was told that they won that grievance. I know for a fact that some have gone straight into feeders.

PT Car Washer

Which goes back to, was the substitute an inside or outside hire? I contend the violation is the ratio, the outside guys don't have a year safe driving in PC either.

On a side note, our 22.3's and air drivers grieved that they are actually drivers, and should get safe driving years, and was told that they won that grievance. I know for a fact that some have gone straight into feeders.
I believe you. Just saying in our Local or District or whatever you must first have one year safe driving in the package car classification previous to bidding into Feeder.

upschuck

I believe you. Just saying in our Local or District or whatever you must first have one year safe driving in the package car classification previous to bidding into Feeder.
All I am saying is that that qualification should not be allowed for them to circumvent the 6:1 ratio. That is not a law, is not in the contract(which 6:1 is) so what makes them not arbitrarily change that to 5 years if too many PC guys/gals goes to feeder, when they could just hire cheaper off the street people.

PT Car Washer

All I am saying is that that qualification should not be allowed for them to circumvent the 6:1 ratio. That is not a law, is not in the contract(which 6:1 is) so what makes them not arbitrarily change that to 5 years if too many PC guys/gals goes to feeder, when they could just hire cheaper off the street people.
I suppose UPS can change the qualification to 5 years safe driving. As long as the off the street hires meet the same qualification. A few people would love to go straight from PT to Feeders without putting in 5, 10, 15 years in package car. You gots to pay your dues.

upschuck

I suppose UPS can change the qualification to 5 years safe driving. As long as the off the street hires meet the same qualification. A few people would love to go straight from PT to Feeders without putting in 5, 10, 15 years in package car. You gots to pay your dues.
Just curious, how could a off the street person get those requirements in a PC?

I think a PT person should get chance if FT list is exhausted before they take a person out of turn off the street.

PT Car Washer

Just curious, how could a off the street person get those requirements in a PC?

I think a PT person should get chance if FT list is exhausted before they take a person out of turn off the street.
No not driving a package car but driving tractor trailer, for I think two years minimum certified, in all kinds of weather. Even then the off the street hire has to pass the interview, background checks and UPS safety and driving class. They don't just give the keys to anyone.

PT Car Washer

Remember Feeders is a career not just a delivery driving job. My dad drove over the road for most of his life. I never did. Too much of a stay at home guy.